Knife rescue thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nemo

Staff member
Global Moderators
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does someone in your household need to show their knives a little more love? Tell us. Or even better, show us.

I'll start:

This is what I came home to today:

1550033735458.jpeg

Fortunately none of my good knives were involved.

Does someone in your household need to show their knives a little more love? Tell us. Or even better, show us.

I'll start:

This is what I came home to today:

View attachment 48576

Fortunately none of my good knives were involved.

jajajaja happened to me once. I took my knives and now they are locked away. I bought her some other knives and she can do what she wants. sometimes I feel sad when I see this but then these are hers. have to restraine myself so I just shut up and walk away.

jajajaja happened to me once. I took my knives and now they are locked away. I bought her some other knives and she can do what she wants. sometimes I feel sad when I see this but then these are hers. have to restraine myself so I just shut up and walk away.
Yep, very similar situation. I've still gotta sharpen them, though.

Glad I am not the only one who keeps different knives for the misses to use. She ones used one of my Carbon knives to cut an onion and then walked off to take the little one to the toilet. Came back to a rusty mess on the chopping board. Luckily it cleaned up ok. But ever since then she has had her own set and mine are kept on a shelf she can't reach! Haha.

She also is the person who defies the logic that its safer to use a sharper knife. Most people are more likely to cut themselves if they use a blunt knife. My misses WILL cut herself no matter what knife she is using. So keeping knives that will take her finger clean off away from her is only a good thing!

My misses WILL cut herself no matter what knife she is using. So keeping knives that will take her finger clean off away from her is only a good thing!
People who, for two decades, have been using knives that they can safely pick up by the blade get really surprised when they pick up a knife by the blade and it actually cuts them.

After I got interested in sharpening, and got my knives to be much sharper than they used to be, I surprised myself a few times, too. As in, the knife is lying on its side on the bench beside the cutting board and I reach for some ingredient nearby. I ever so slightly brush the edge of the knife and, lo and behold, I've just taken a small nick out of the side of my finger.

Similar with the heel of Japanese knives. That corner is sharp. Me reaching for a knife without looking at it and closing my hand for a pinch grip is a bad idea if I'm slightly off. There goes another small nick…

On the up-side, I do respect my knives a lot more now than I did in the past :)

People who, for two decades, have been using knives that they can safely pick up by the blade get really surprised when they pick up a knife by the blade and it actually cuts them.

After I got interested in sharpening, and got my knives to be much sharper than they used to be, I surprised myself a few times, too. As in, the knife is lying on its side on the bench beside the cutting board and I reach for some ingredient nearby. I ever so slightly brush the edge of the knife and, lo and behold, I've just taken a small nick out of the side of my finger.

Similar with the heel of Japanese knives. That corner is sharp. Me reaching for a knife without looking at it and closing my hand for a pinch grip is a bad idea if I'm slightly off. There goes another small nick…

On the up-side, I do respect my knives a lot more now than I did in the past :)

When I say she will cut herself I don't mean small nicks from not looking what she's doing.... I once walked in on her cutting open a bread roll (with a bread knife - using the correct one was at least an improvement) with the roll in the palm of her hand. Yes we ended up in A&E and she got 3 stitches!

I once walked in on her cutting open a bread roll (with a bread knife - using the correct one was at least an improvement) with the roll in the palm of her hand. Yes we ended up in A&E and she got 3 stitches!
Aargh, my toenails just curled up while reading this :( The cringe factor is definitely rather high there!

I guess the good (if there is any) of such an incident is that people only rarely cut themselves seriously enough to sustain lasting damage. And that, the next time they pick up a knife, they tend to remember what happened last time… ;)

When I say she will cut herself I don't mean small nicks from not looking what she's doing.... I once walked in on her cutting open a bread roll (with a bread knife - using the correct one was at least an improvement) with the roll in the palm of her hand. Yes we ended up in A&E and she got 3 stitches!

Nothing wrong with doing it once, just gotta learn xD

I got 3 stiches cause I tried opening a pack of frozen food with a bread knife... when I was a student... cut to the bone it did. Never ever have I done similar stupid things.

I don't have this worry. My wife uses our Ikea table knives for EVERYTHING! Maybe, once or twice a year, she'll grab a steak knife to cut bread. I'll never understand why a lady that performs surgery every week is afraid of a sharp kitchen knife.

Best comment of this thread!!!

I got 3 stiches cause I tried opening a pack of frozen food with a bread knife... when I was a student... cut to the bone it did. Never ever have I done similar stupid things.
About twenty years ago, my son, who was about ten years old then, came to me asking for help. He was holding two hamburger patties that he had taken out of the freezer. The kind you buy at a supermarket in the frozen food section, four or six to a pack. Stuck together, of course.

I was in the middle of prepping food when he asked me to separate the patties so he could put them on the BBQ, and I grabbed the first thing that was at hand to try and wedge them apart. That thing was my paring knife. I guess you can tell how this ended… I was down the road at the medical centre ten minutes later, with an inch-long cut into the fleshy part of my palm, down to the bone just above the base joint of my thumb.

It was a stupid thing to do, and I knew better even back then. A spoon, or a spatula, or anything else but a knife would have done just fine (as would have fifteen seconds in the microwave).

And then I hear carpenters and furniture makers talk about their mate who had been making furniture for thirty years, and cleanly amputated three fingers on one hand because he tried to reach through a spinning saw blade. It only takes a split-second of inattention, once.

Indeed a split second is enough when handling knives.

On a side note this thread is soon to be "What is your worst knife-related injury?"

IOn a side note this thread is soon to be "What is your worst knife-related injury?"
The article would probably start with something like "Man accidentally stabs his wife to death with a knife while stumbling and, as his son rushes to help, accidentally impales him, too. Then slips on all the blood, severs a major artery, and succumbs to his injuries seconds after having told the ambulance staff what happened."

About twenty years ago, my son, who was about ten years old then, came to me asking for help. He was holding two hamburger patties that he had taken out of the freezer. The kind you buy at a supermarket in the frozen food section, four or six to a pack. Stuck together, of course.

I was in the middle of prepping food when he asked me to separate the patties so he could put them on the BBQ, and I grabbed the first thing that was at hand to try and wedge them apart. That thing was my paring knife.
I use my axes for such delicate tasks.

I once walked in on her cutting open a bread roll with the roll in the palm of her hand.
I do that quite frequently (after all you cut an avocado pretty much the same way) but I have never managed to cut myself that way. The real problem is not paying proper atention.

Back