Knife Sharpening Service - London, UK

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattr2102

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm new to the forum and I'm hoping you can help me with a knife related query :)

I don't know much about knives and have a few global kitchen knives (including a serrated) which badly need sharpening (I appreciate that these are probably very amateur compared to the knives discussed on here).

I have once before taken these to the Japanese knife centre in London but I wasn't particularly impressed when all he did was sharpen them on a rather industrial grinding wheel in a few minutes.

It would be great if somebody could recommend somewhere I can have them nicely brought back to their former condition with care.

I'm in London, UK but happy to post them.

Many Thanks for your help!

M

p.s. I have done a search and found names like WoBaCho and JNS but they seem like what I'm looking for but they don't seem to be operating at the moment.

Welcome Matt!

Greg from Wabocho did some great work on my Carter funayuki (thinning and refinishing) and Shigefusa (refinishing single bevel honesuki) and while he wanted to stop taking orders, I am not quite sure whether he did (or maybe he takes them again). Just drop him an email and ask. He is a very nice person. Maxim from JNS is indeed overloaded since he also runs a shop.

While I do not know other sharpeners in UK, you may want to try to contact guys from Blenheimforge, maybe they would be up to the task or at least have some further recommendations for you.

If I were in the UK, I'd just say send them to me and pay postage both ways. However, I'm not. Maybe there's someone else you could do this with and maybe pay a small fee too?

Were they not in great condition after the sharpening you received? I have a global which I don't currently use but I remember being able to get it sharp (on the Global medium stone I still have), and then it would dull soon enough. Well, they're not really knives that will get or at least stay that sharp. A few minutes on a good wheel might actually have been okay.

I'm a bit in this situation as well, and I was going to give a go at JKC's sharpening service... might not send all the knives after reading that :p
But also, they offer sharpening lessons, which I will probably try at some point, maybe you could try as well, as imho it's still the best way, rather than sending the knives away every now and then, being able to maintain them yourselves.

--
HaT

Jkc are really horrible! I feel sorry when I walked outside their soho store and I see people buying things.
Their steel descriptions are basically "Damascus" and folded x amount of times

I can wholehaertedly rceommend Greg. I don't know how busy he is (he also got into knife making), but I think it's worth a try.

Anything more precise than "Greg" to google or search into the forum for someone who's new here :) ?
I won't even try JKC then ! Still looking for sharpening lessons on London if people know about that.

If you don't mind covering postage I'd be more than happy to sharpen them up for you. Shame I'm not still London based or I'd invite you over.

If you're ever Cardiff way let me know and I could run you through the basics

Hmmm I will keep that in mind, as my gf and I are trying to find weekends away quite often, I might bring Cardiff up, as I've never been there !
Will wait to get my Watanabes first though !

Thanks !

JKC are horrible at sharpening, once I took them knife that I brought from TB_London for tip repair and wanted to try their sharpening at the same time. the edge they put on that knife was like 25 degrees each side and finished to very course finish with wire edge, then I spend about 2 hours to bring the edge back to it's former state ! Really horrible place for knife enthusiasts

There used to be a guy at Marleybone farmers' market who sharpened knives, as I recall?
There are also knife sharpening services dotted about. There is one (perhaps even two?) near my old workshop in Brockley, but they are definitely of the "stainless buthchers knives by the trayload" variety of sharpeners, not that that's a bad thing, but their approach might reflect their stock-in-trade and perhaps not what you are looking for. Interesting write up of one company's history; http://www.italcutlery.com/history.html
The JKC sharpening service probably varies according to which outlet and who is doing it.

Greg at wabocho
Can't hotlink his website, but drop me a message and i'll give you his contact.
If he is busy and cannot take it i'll do them if you come around to the 'town of the 3 B's' on a weekend daytrip. Have a bit of chat, few beers, bit of sharpening. :)
I barely meet any fellow knifenuts anyway. :)

If you're really desperate (as in it's urgent and you don't want to send it to some "random" private person), you could try shooting an e-mail to Jürgen Schanz in Germany.

+++ for Jürgen Schanz.. you send him a knife and you get "a totally new knife that cuts like heaven" back.. iv seen many examples of crap knife that turned into super laser or else after "Schanzing"

@Shownomarci : you're in Reading ?

Thank for Jürgen Schanz tip.

+1 to Schanz. Can personally confirm anything that has been said about his grinding wizardry.

Back