Knife vs Induction Cooker

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seems like an induction forge would be a major space saver, also potentially a much smaller carbon footprint than a traditional forge
And quieter.
And makes for a much cooler shop, too.

I know a few blacksmiths that are playing around with how much actual forging they can do with these units. One major drawback is that, in order to maximize efficiency, you need different sizes and shapes of coils for different sizes/shapes of metal. Also, a lot of forging operations require the whole piece to be at heat, and the induction forges are better suited to small, local heat. I saw a demo about 10 years ago where someone put a 3" length of 1" round stock in a coil, holding the ends with bare fingers, and in ~10 seconds got the middle inch up to a white heat before the ends even started to get hot.

Temp control must be a bear to control in an induction coil. Hotspots and such. There has to be good reasons why its not widely used.

Back to the future. Forge knives the old school way utilizing new school induction—instinct/timing/experience! Thermometers can be a crutch—I believe thermometers were an 18th century invention. Masamune made knives during the 13th/14th c.

Back