Knives similar to kono Fuji fm B2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I’ve been using mostly wide bevel KU as of late, but whipped out the kono for a day of prep at work. Damn. Is this a laser? What else is built like these? Thin and stiff and convex. I may need to get more

What length you’re looking for? Anything under 210mm, Takamura Chromax is my primary preference.

Kochi? Definitely fits the laser horse criteria but perhaps too beefy? The new yoshikane offering definitely look to be on thinner side of their work too.

The migoto that people posted fit in regards to your requests. The tetsujins would also be extremely similar, same sharpener.

Isn't the Tetsujin and Fuji FM basically the same knife from a geometric point of view? The Tetsujin is a different smith with softer but tougher heat treat.

most of the Yoshikazu Tanaka incarnations, since same forger as the Konosuke Fujis, are going to have a similar vibe. The Miura or OUL ones are the entry level for pricing and some of the dammy JNS and Takada no hamono ones are the expensive. Honestly they are all great. I am only buying Y Tanaka at this point. Yohei will be next if I can find one.

Isn't the Tetsujin and Fuji FM basically the same knife from a geometric point of view? The Tetsujin is a different smith with softer but tougher heat treat.
Yup that’s what I was saying.

Konosuke MM is underrated, with same sharpener as FM & Kaiju. Solid blue #2 heat treat, doesn't feel as fragile as FM but still laser-ish.

I was going to suggest the MM myself, but I wouldn't call them lasers. Both of my examples are solid mid-weights but that leads to some of the best convexing on any Kono that I've touched. Only the YS-M is better (at the expense of a more "fragile" edge)

Picture just because
20210611_132208.jpg

I was going to suggest the MM myself, but I wouldn't call them lasers. Both of my examples are solid mid-weights but that leads to some of the best convexing on any Kono that I've touched. Only the YS-M is better (at the expense of a more "fragile" edge)

Picture just because
View attachment 130863
Well, that's why I wrote "laser-ish". Its cutting performance is definitely more laser-y than workhorse-y, and I'd probably say it falls on the lighter side of mid-weight. I think my MM (270) has better convexity than my YS-M (210), but that's likely a function of its increased height and weight. In any case the OP is looking for something similar to the FM, and the MM would fit the bill quite nicely.

most of the Yoshikazu Tanaka incarnations, since same forger as the Konosuke Fujis, are going to have a similar vibe. The Miura or OUL ones are the entry level for pricing
Since OP is looking for convex grind, it's worth mentionning that the OUL iteration has a concave/hollow grind.

OUL and HADO have been on my mind too. Are they all concave?
OUL more similar to the original Wide bevel Fujiyama Grind instead of FM.

It’s Slight concave, cut liked laser, but doesn’t feel fragile at all, Quite stout blade.

Attachments

• D7F08908-8AA8-40B4-A263-ED46B6F3C922.png
    D7F08908-8AA8-40B4-A263-ED46B6F3C922.png
    355.1 KB · Views: 52
  • DB4909DB-3526-4F2C-B3A2-1B85A4D11732.png
    DB4909DB-3526-4F2C-B3A2-1B85A4D11732.png
    406.7 KB · Views: 49
I have an OUL/Hado by Yoshikazu Tanaka up for sale right now. Its heat treat is great, and the F&F is pristine. Things exceptional. I’m really interested in getting some more knives crafted by him.

Back