Kramer Zwilling 10" Chef's Knive arrived

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just checked these out at my local SLT. I was looking to get the slicer, but I'm going to pass. I'll reconsider if they produce a Meji version. Bob's western handles are a little awkward for me and the slicer has zero knuckle clearance.

The 10" chefs knife was a pretty good approximation. I didn't do a side by side comparison but I'm pretty sure my Kramer is a bit thinner especially the 3" or so near the tip.

I just checked these out at my local SLT. I was looking to get the slicer, but I'm going to pass. I'll reconsider if they produce a Meji version. Bob's western handles are a little awkward for me and the slicer has zero knuckle clearance.

The 10" chefs knife was a pretty good approximation. I didn't do a side by side comparison but I'm pretty sure my Kramer is a bit thinner especially the 3" or so near the tip.

It has severe tapering from the neck to the tip. I like the shape of its paring knife. Gyuto, not so much.

I was thinking about the slicer too, but I don't like the shape of it or it having zero heel/knuckle clearance like you said.

I don't mind the spine/choil not being quite round enough or it not being quite thin enough. I like doing these things myself, makes my knife more unique and "mine". And I have never worked on a 52100 knife before so I will enjoy learning about the steel and the feedback I get from modifying it. I know at this price some people want the knife to ready to go already, and for most people it is. I just prefer them a little smoother and thinner, so I am going to do that and not feel gypped that it wasn't that way ootb. Bob's name and being sold at SLT automatically add to the retail price of the knife, and I have some real japanese knives that were close to this price and were actually awful in terms of finish and thinness, so overall I think it can still be a good value.

http://wwhttp://www.kitchenknifefor....kitchenknifeforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

These are pics of the knife after soaking in white vinegar for 45 minutes and before. Thanks for the suggestion Dave.:)

with patina.jpg

Kramers have always looked SOOOOO tall to me which has always been a deal breaker for every going after one and these seem to be no exception. Im going to have to go check these out in person when the local SLT gets them in stock. Any chance of getting a shot holding the knife in a pinch grip with the edge on the board???? =D

Kramers have always looked SOOOOO tall to me which has always been a deal breaker for every going after one and these seem to be no exception. Im going to have to go check these out in person when the local SLT gets them in stock. Any chance of getting a shot holding the knife in a pinch grip with the edge on the board???? =D

My SLT, has a cutting board with a basket full of veggies, for customers to try the demo knives. I was a bit surprised, when they let me play with a Shun Kramer.

Jay

My SLT, has a cutting board with a basket full of veggies, for customers to try the demo knives. I was a bit surprised, when they let me play with a Shun Kramer.

Jay

My SLT had a basket of carrots to work with. They are really pushing the Kramers right now(there is a sign on the front door). The PopSci article said they only have an exclusive until September.

A lot of people dismiss the Kramer because of the profile but never get to try it. It might surprise you, they don't feel especially tall. I wish these had been around before I ordered mine. The customization I would have ordered is to add an inch or two of flat near the tip.

Pinch.jpg

Sure.

It looks like choil on the Zwilling is less rounded than the real thing. How are the spines compared to each other? Is one less rounded?

The choil and the spine on both are very similar. I think Bob had a much easier time convincing Zwilling to do things his way than he did with Shun.

Just an update. I had company for the last few days and I did a lot of cooking, a lot of protein and a lot of veggies. I'm trying to gauge the edge holding ability of the Kramer Zwilling so I used it for everything. The edge is still hair popping sharp so I think they got the heat treatment right. I'm going to see how long it takes before I have to strop. I'll keep you posted but for now I think this knife is a real winner. A real 10" Kramer 52100 chef's knife goes for $1500 (I think) and this one goes for $350.

Just an update. I had company for the last few days and I did a lot of cooking, a lot of protein and a lot of veggies. I'm trying to gauge the edge holding ability of the Kramer Zwilling so I used it for everything. The edge is still hair popping sharp so I think they got the heat treatment right. I'm going to see how long it takes before I have to strop. I'll keep you posted but for now I think this knife is a real winner. A real 10" Kramer 52100 chef's knife goes for $1500 (I think) and this one goes for $350.

Yes sir you are correct.

Mine comes in today! I've been through the 8 and 10" Kramer Shuns and wasn't too happy with the belly bloat, but I picked up the 8" in the store yesterday and was surprised with how good it felt. I should be receiving it (10") at work so I'll be happy to give my impressions after some rigorous commercial kitchen abuse :D. I've never used 52100 before, so we'll see how well it "reacts" to some produce! Hopefully it will be a good replacement for the beater 240 Miyabi Birchwood that was used before it.

It's sure tempting to go for the clone.

Ignore this one, seperate thread started :shocked3: :ninja: edit

Yes, about the same as my real Kramer, although the real one is an inch shorter.

Sorry to ask more about the flex, but I've never handled a Kramer so I'm not familiar with how much flex Kramers have. Would you say it's like 2-3 mm? More? Less?

Thanks Dean.

Sorry to ask more about the flex, but I've never handled a Kramer so I'm not familiar with how much flex Kramers have. Would you say it's like 2-3 mm? More? Less?

Thanks Dean.

With a few lbs of pressure on the handle, the tip flexes 5-10 mm. It's hard to measure but that's my eyeball guess.

The more I look at this thing and the more I read the reports and feedback coming in, the more it appeals. Here's why;
  • it's a legit Kramer mass reproduced, done well, very well; like him & his knives or not, he's mastered what he does and that alone commands respect
  • it's solid steel, not clad
  • it's 52100
  • it's got interesting - ie good - geometries in both the handle and blade
  • the blade looks like it's got a good length of flatness

I've never been a Henckels/Zwilling fan, but they've stepped up their game with Morimoto, Miyabi and now the Kramer knives. All look to be very good for what they are; this Kramer is the only one I would consider. Could care less for the Shun Kramer's. But would I drop $350 on this Z. Kramer before another knife such as a DT ITK, I'm not sure... but it's become a top contender! :scratchhead:

Hopefully I'll get to play with one Sunday at SLT, with coaching from The Seeker himself :cool2: Bringing my Hiro, DT ITK and Pierre petty for comparison.

I mean if you want a Kramer, how could you not be interested in this one. I'm probably never going to pay upwards of $1.5k for a knife so this is really my only option to try out something that is Kramer-esque. I might have to hold on though and wait for a Meiji to come out...

I think SLT's exclusive rights run out on this in a few months, so you might see a Meji version of this from WS or somewhere else in 6 months or so...

I think SLT's exclusive rights run out on this in a few months, so you might see a Meji version of this from WS or somewhere else in 6 months or so...

How does that work? Would they(WS) still be able to basically manufacture the exact same knife,with a different handle under a different name?

How does that work? Would they(WS) still be able to use the same steel etc?

The original Shun/Kramer Euro handled knives were provided exclusively to SLT, then, Shun/Kramer Meji knives were released through Williams Sonoma.

Some of us are hoping that when SLT's exclusive runs out, Zwilling will announce a Meji version as well.

I mean if you want a Kramer, how could you not be interested in this one. I'm probably never going to pay upwards of $1.5k for a knife so this is really my only option to try out something that is Kramer-esque. I might have to hold on though and wait for a Meiji to come out...

If I were to drop 1.5K on a knife I'd get that Gesshin Hide 270 Honyaki by Shiraki-san that John posted about LOOOOOOONG before I'd get a custom Kramer. The Z. Kramer seems to be an near-nuf replica of what Bob would make himself - what you're getting w/ a custom Kramer is knowing that Bob actually made it himself, and there are prolly some performance advatntages. But not as significant as say any of the beloved solid steel gyuto's from Yusuke, Konosuke, Tadatsuna, etc. compared to the Shiraki-san Honyaki.

If I were to drop 1.5K on a knife I'd get that Gesshin Hide 270 Honyaki by Shiraki-san that John posted about LOOOOOOONG before I'd get a custom Kramer. The Z. Kramer seems to be an near-nuf replica of what Bob would make himself - what you're getting w/ a custom Kramer is knowing that Bob actually made it himself, and there are prolly some performance advatntages. But not as significant as say any of the beloved solid steel gyuto's from Yusuke, Konosuke, Tadatsuna, etc. compared to the Shiraki-san Honyaki.

Can't say I've ever heard of the brand.

Latest posts

Back