Looking for a hard 1000 grit stone.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love Shapton in general but will joint the chorus that struggles with the 4K. I don't really know why. Mine is the HC, if that makes a difference. It falls betwixt and between for me. Maybe the issue is residual burr, but it seems weird to have that as the issue with a 4K and not a 2K

From time in razors, I'll say the shapton pros are very hard. The 1500 finishes closer to a "true" 1k e.g. Naniwa. It's a pain to flatten, but stays that way, which is important for razors. Wouldn't give a really toothy edge I think, but meets the "hard" criteria.

Never used the Jupaku 8K. Have the Glass 8K and still exploring it.

I usually go from the 3K or 6K to the 1u/strop or 12K. I find, with my technique and skill level, that the 1u/strop gives me just a touch crisper edge - more of that scary sharp feeling. The 12K does leave a pretty darn fine edge - one that can be very happy with - but it does lose out fractionally to the 1u/diamond.

This could be very much based on my skill/technique. I have an unfounded feeling that I tend to use very light pressure so that diamond may just suit me better.

Personally, and this maybe just me, I feel that the Shapton Pro 12K produces and very nice 7,000 grit edge.

On the topic of hard 1K stones, I very much like my Sigma Power ceramic hard 1K. Super thirsty, but FAST.

IMG_8060.jpeg

Personally, and this maybe just me, I feel that the Shapton Pro 12K produces and very nice 7,000 grit edge.
I can confirm, as the edges are very similar to what I get with a Junpaku 8k. As for evaluating the exact grit, it isn't easy as it contains different sized abrasives. Both stones deliver a refined bite.

Naniwa Professional 800 or 1000 grit. You can find them at 50$ ea on some EU sites.
I have the 800 and probably will last me a lifetime. It doesn't dish on carbon knives and it is really fast sharpening for bringing out that crisp burr.

Shapton glass and shapton pro are two hard stones within that price range. If you found the Naniwa chosera 800 soft, suehiro Debado 1k will be simmilar.

FSK and NSK are hard but much more expensive.

While not a waterstone, the sintered alumina stones like idahone/spyderco stones may interest you. If you lap and prepare their surfaces like one would a hard arkansas stone they can finish in a wide range depending on the grit used. Unlike arks, they perform well on a wide variety of steels.
I really think we should have a dedicated post on these stones as they are such an odd ball as sharpening stones go.

While not a waterstone, the sintered alumina stones like idahone/spyderco stones may interest you. If you lap and prepare their surfaces like one would a hard arkansas stone they can finish in a wide range depending on the grit used. Unlike arks, they perform well on a wide variety of steels.
I really think we should have a dedicated post on these stones as they are such an odd ball as sharpening stones go.
I should break mine out from their long slumber. Problem is, they are really, really slow. Good for a tuneup from almost sharp to really sharp, yes.

I should break mine out from their long slumber. Problem is, they are really, really slow. Good for a tuneup from almost sharp to really sharp, yes.
I have to ask, have you resurfaced it or is that the factory surface? I found the "as molded" surface to be slow too.
I did a little speed test a while ago: the swarf on the stone from 2 passes per side medium pressure, window cleaner, tojiro vg10. This side was finished on 90grit SiC and is plenty fast, maybe faster than a naniwa pro 800, but I haven't devised of a good/easy way to test that.

You know, it might be fun to do a pass around with one of these stones, as I have a spare...

Attachments

• 20230731_174128.jpg
    20230731_174128.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
I have to ask, have you resurfaced it or is that the factory surface? I found the "as molded" surface to be slow too.
I did a little speed test a while ago: the swarf on the stone from 2 passes per side medium pressure, window cleaner, tojiro vg10. This side was finished on 90grit SiC and is plenty fast, maybe faster than a naniwa pro 800, but I haven't devised of a good/easy way to test that.
Good point. No, I have not done any resurfacing. I can well imagine that that would change the speed considerably. Lore is that the Fine and Medium are the same stone, with different surface prep.

Shapton seems the obvious way to go, both the Pro and Glass 1k are very good stones and extremely fast. Though both play a touch under their grit rating. I marginally prefer the Pro and use it all day every day at work ahead of the Glass, but would be more than happy with either.

Some comparisons here from myself, and @Steampunk whose knowledge of and opinions about stones is always impressive and spot-on imo:

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/shapton-pro-1k.64259/post-984848
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/shapton-pro-1k.64259/post-984081

Another option if you wanted really, truly hard would be a Fine India, which is way harder than any Japanese stone and probably finishes around the same level as the two Shaptons. I once tried to break a Fine India in two, it took me about half an hour. And I was using an axe.

Fine India is about 800ish JIS if memory serves me well. Eventually it loads, and it’s a PITA to clean it.

Norton says fine India is ~400 grit. It does indeed load up and is a pain to clean. I've been using cheap AliExpress diamond plates to give it a quick lap here and there between full flattening/lapping on a SiC plate, I've found that works quite well.

Fine India is about 800ish JIS if memory serves me well. Eventually it loads, and it’s a PITA to clean it.

Norton says fine India is ~400 grit. It does indeed load up and is a pain to clean. I've been using cheap AliExpress diamond plates to give it a quick lap here and there between full flattening/lapping on a SiC plate, I've found that works quite well.

How is it best done? Almost every time I think of reaching for mine, I think about the loading, resolve to learn how to resolve it, and grab something else instead.

Fine India is rated about 400, but that's ANSI/CAMI, which isn't the same as JIS, particularly for lower grit stones the difference is quite significant. For edge sharpening; the hardness of the stone comes into it too, so the end result is that a Fine India probably finishes around 800 JIS equivalent, about the same level as the two Shapton 1Ks.

I've not found loading to be a particular problem with the Fine India, but I use oil and maybe that helps(?) A little scrub down with a worn atoma should sort it I'd have thought...

Last edited:
Ok. I've finally come around to considering picking up a hard stone again. I just wanted options before. But i am about to buy one now.

So far the serious considerations i am making are

The naniwa hibiki 1000

Maybe the suehiro debado. But there are different versions and idk anything about them so I'm a bit wary.

The shapton rockstar. I will have to double check price.

I might look into the sigma ceramic, i have no idea how hard that is.

Someone bringing up the spyderco stones, that is a good idea actually. I might see if they still sell the medium or whatever they call it. That could be a good choice. I have never tried theirs, but have seen them for years.

In this case diamond aren't what i am interested in since ive seen them mentioned. This is for finishing non vanadium carbide steels. I already have a new 1k diamond stone in mind.

Ok. I've finally come around to considering picking up a hard stone again. I just wanted options before. But i am about to buy one now.

So far the serious considerations i am making are

The naniwa hibiki 1000

Maybe the suehiro debado. But there are different versions and idk anything about them so I'm a bit wary.

The shapton rockstar. I will have to double check price.

I might look into the sigma ceramic, i have no idea how hard that is.

Someone bringing up the spyderco stones, that is a good idea actually. I might see if they still sell the medium or whatever they call it. That could be a good choice. I have never tried theirs, but have seen them for years.

In this case diamond aren't what i am interested in since ive seen them mentioned. This is for finishing non vanadium carbide steels. I already have a new 1k diamond stone in mind.
I would class the suehiro debado 1k as quite soft or at least medium. Never tried a rockstar but shapton glass is hard and they are supposed to be very simillar. I have heard that sigma stone is quite hard too but never tried it myself.

I would class the suehiro debado 1k as quite soft or at least medium. Never tried a rockstar but shapton glass is hard and they are supposed to be very simillar. I have heard that sigma stone is quite hard too but never tried it myself.
There are a few different types of debado. Which is kind of why i dont want to buy one. Because idk if one is harder than another.

Idk i might just go hibiki. It will for sure be very hard. So its a safe bet.

The spyderco's are tempting too.

I’m not going to read the whole thread, but you can pull a nice edge with an Naniwa P-308 and it is a pretty hard stone

Last edited:
Idk i might just go hibiki. It will for sure be very hard. So its a safe bet.

The spyderco's are tempting too.
The hibiki is my favourite stone right now. Be sure to soak it at least 15 Minutes. Great edges on softer steels and good bridge stone to 3k.
Works well to check flatness of the bevel as well.

I just ordered a set of Shapton Kuromaku stones. I purchased a 4-stone set of #1000, #5000, #8000, and #12000, to this I added a #2000. I don't know what use I will have for the #12000 but it was cheaper to get this set than the first 3 stones by themselves.

Back