Looking for a new Sujihiki and Nakiri

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeroRay

Reaction score
Germany

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Sujihiki and Nakiri (I already own a Dick chefknife, therefor a gyoto and a santoku is not so important for now)

Are you right or left handed?
Right handed.

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
I am fine with either handle.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
I am not really sure about this. I would say Sujihiki around 24-27 cm and Nakiri around 15 to 18 cm. But this is not set in stone at all, and I would like to hear some advice/opinons.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
I think I prefer it. I heard the non stainless one are rusting pretty fast? But I have little to no experience, there if this is not the case, I would be fine with a non-stainless one too.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
150 € each (So 300 in total, but this is the absolut maximum, I would like to keep it lower if possible)

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Only at home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Slicing veggies and fish (I like to do sushi myself). Filleting fish, also "cutting down" fish (But I think a sujihiki might not be suitable for it, since its quite fragile?). I dont eat meat at all (except for fish). The Nakiri is more used for "harder" veggies, like pumpkins, turnips and beets.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Not replacing any. I would like to have a collection/addition to my F. Dick 1905 Chefknife.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch Grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
I dont think I have a particular one. I kinda change depending what I am cutting. I guess equally use Pull and Push Cut.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Thinner, more accurate and delicate slices.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Wooden handle, otherwise I dont mind too much.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Lighter than my current knife.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
ability to use the knife right out of the box and easy sharpening.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Not more than once a week. Idealy like every two weeks.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Yes.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Not yet. I hoan them with a Zwilling steel rod.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes I would love to.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes. I was thinking about getting a Zische stone, but my knowledge is more than limited.

Do you guys maybe need some more information?

Maybe some ideas I had in mind:
For the Sujihiki: Miyabi 4000FC Sujihiki
For the nakiri: Robert Herder Nakiri

Sadly my knowledge about "real" japanese knives is more than limited, so if you have other suggestions, I am always open.

Hey Nero, welcome to the forum. I might suggest you do a little more research before you start to narrow down your search.
If you only eat fish a suji might be a little bit of a waste bc it is a meat slicer at its very core. It is also just too long to be of any use breaking down fish (unless you are filleting large salmon). Maybe a small yanagiba for slicing raw fish at home if that’s something you need?
Also, don’t quote me on this because I have never used a Nakiri really but I think they would be quite awkward for the likes of pumpkins and other hard veg. They are veggie knives so maybe this is a better knife for you - but perhaps speak to more nakiri-minded folks here about this in private messages to really pick their brains.
My advice would be to start your j knife journey by replacing your western chef’s knife with a gyuto or santoku. These are more all-purpose as far as Japanese knives go.

Thank you for your adive. I always thought a sujihiki is just like a yanagiba just with a double bevel. But I guess I was wrong. I will definetely read more carefull into this.

Thank you for your adive. I always thought a sujihiki is just like a yanagiba just with a double bevel. But I guess I was wrong. I will definetely read more carefull into this.
This isn't necessarily wrong. It just seems like you might be reaching for reasons to purchase/use. Also, don't get me wrong - if that is the case more power to ya. But if you're looking for a fun knife to use regularly and serve as an introduction into Japanese knives I do not vote for Sujihiki as best candidate, not that it can't per se.

Nakiris are just fine for hard veggies, though there is a trade off with Japanese knives as thinner knives move through denser produce better but have a higher probability of chipping if your technique isn't good.

A Watanabe 180mm Nakiri is the forum favorite starting point, but at your price point I'm not sure it's doable. A moritaka tall nakiri direct, masakage yuki or koishi are other options that come to mind.

In your case (and because of your budget) I'd recommend taking a look at some chinese vegetable cleavers. You can beat those around and plow through harder veggies like butternut squash and stuff without worrying too much, and a decent one run you <100 pounds max. As much as I don't like chukabochos, they're a far better bang for your buck at that budget.

You can use sujihiki as raw fish slicer too, I prefer using sujihiki over yanagiba cause it’s more versatile, less skill required, low cost and easier to sharpen. I have 270mm Yoshikazu Tanaka’s Sujihiki from JNS that’s the sharpest slicer I have ever tried.

For your budget this is a good choice for 240mm
https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...series-bm-6-kiritsuke-sujihiki-240mm-9-4-inchFor 270mm the Kohetsu blue 2 stainless clad from CKTG($115).
If you never tried the full carbon I would recommend the stainless clad knives, easier maintenance and as sharp as the carbon knife.

Latest posts

Back