Looking for an under $300 gyuto with some character! Questionnaire included

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would take the Kochi over the Ikazuchi every time (I have both but I'm selling the Ikazuchi). It def looks more rustic. The Ikazuchi has a very cool contrast between cladding and core steel once patina sets in, as mentioned above. But I wouldn't call it rustic at all.

Then again: Jon knows what he's talking about ;)

Yeah I will be looking to up my cutting skillz. Any input on the Ikazuchi vs Kurosaki migaki? Please save me from buying both...

Jon rec'd the Ikazuchi over the Kochi because he thought it would be a good transition knife to see what I like. And he thought a more laser type would be better for me since I cut a lot of squash and sweet potatoes and such. Plus he just got some Ikazuchi's in stock that they're inspecting now.

As long as it's got some rustic to it I'm happy. Doesn't need to be blatant, in fact I'd probably prefer more subtle rustic. I love the KU finish of the Kochi because it looks a little more subtle than, say the KU on the Kurosaki.

I think a lot of guys here forget what their first Japanese knife experience was... it can be hard to start off with super reactive, brittle, or difficult to sharpen (both technically and due to steel hardness).

I recommend a Kurosaki SG2/R2 steel gyuto. Japanny has one for your price range here: http://www.japanny.com/products/yu-kurosaki-r2-sg2-steel-hammered-japanese-chef-s-gyuto-knife-240mm

And there's one on ebay that has the awesome unique hammer pattern but it's 210mm http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blacksmith-...855594?hash=item33b8fc02aa:g:V1gAAOSwFe5Xw8z4

Should check all your boxes. Great edge retention, stainless, I personally have never found R2 difficult to sharpen and you would only ever need to sharpen every 6 months or so considering it's R2 steel.

For the sake of narrowing things down, I plan to stick with a AS stainless clad blade. Still debating the Ikazuchi and Kurosaki. The Ikazuchi gives me a feeling that I will eventually want to upgrade, but the Kurosaki makes me think I'd be good with that one for a while. Jon's recommendation for the Ikazuchi is a significant booster for it though, so still undecided.

Might end up getting one in 240 and a smaller version of the other the way this is going.

For the sake of narrowing things down, I plan to stick with a AS stainless clad blade. Still debating the Ikazuchi and Kurosaki. The Ikazuchi gives me a feeling that I will eventually want to upgrade, but the Kurosaki makes me think I'd be good with that one for a while. Jon's recommendation for the Ikazuchi is a significant booster for it though, so still undecided.

Might end up getting one in 240 and a smaller version of the other the way this is going.

Can I just say that if you stay on this forum there is a 99.99999% chance you will "upgrade" in 2 to 3 months no matter which you buy.

Also, there is no reason for upgrading any knife Jon sells apart from wanting something new... which if that is the case it will likely happen with any knife you buy.

Can I just say that if you stay on this forum there is a 99.99999% chance you will "upgrade" in 2 to 3 months no matter which you buy.
+100

Also knives is like beer, you do not upgrade or downgrade you venture into different branches for personal fulfilment and enjoyment.

Wholeheartedly recommend all Kurosaki knives. I've got two and they're my favorites in my block.

I had such innocent intentions too. Dammit, well at least it's cheaper than watches.

Eyeing up a Masakage bunka now that it gets brought up...

I had such innocent intentions too. Dammit, well at least it's cheaper than watches.

Eyeing up a Masakage bunka now that it gets brought up...

I think you are going down this rabbit hole really fast... not that I can speak though

what exactly do you mean by "character" in a knife?

Just something that has an interesting aesthetic. But, I think I have plenty of suggestions and it looks like I won't do wrong with any of my choices. Thanks everyone for your help!

If you want rustic looks. I suggest munetoshi (japanesenaturalstones) or kurosaki kurouchi (knivesandstones), might be worth it also contacting bryan raquin (vendor here) he makes in my opinion the most awesome looking rustic knives out there, dont know about his current wait time and price, but it would definetly be worth the wait and coin.

If character means rustic and unique to the standard type knife, then +1 munetoshi.

Back