Looking for wedding gift recommendation gyoto or petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 32yo brother is getting married and I would like to get them a nice knife they will enjoy and that will last. They are decent amateur home cooks.

Their wedding registry had some Shun knives, but they said they weren't wedded to those particular models.
They registered for a Shun classic 6" utility knife, Shun classic 5.5" santoku, and a $200 Shun bread knife (!) They already have a chef knife, but they don't love it. I could get them a petty or small santoku like they want, or a gyoto they didn't know they want.

What country are you in? Bay Area, California

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Gyoto or Petty or small santoku (or maybe something like a funayuki)

Are you right or left handed? both right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Western

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 8" chef knife equivalent and/or 6" petty equivalent

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) YES

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $150

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? HOME

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) General meat and vegetable prep. They are not super big meat eaters but not vegetarian

What knife, if any, are you replacing? not sure

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) Unknown

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Unknown

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics -- it's a gift, so it should have some gravitas

Comfort --

Ease of Use and Care -- they always hand wash their knives, but it might sit on the counter with food on it. Handle should be well-sealed, blade stainless.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? -- months?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? Wood Block

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) YES

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives?

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) He borrows whetstones from me

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I know they're frowned on here, but Shun knives do look impressive to non knife people. I wonder if there are real j-knives that also have that wow factor. Most in my price range look more utilitarian (e.g. Tojiro DP)

I did search the forum first, and found this list. I'm not sure how to pick from this list.

Suisin Inox western
Gesshin Stainless
Fujiwara FKM
Masamoto VG
Mac MBK
Mac MTH-80
Togiharu (inox, G1, moly)
JCK Kagayaki
Kanehide PS60

I could just get them a 5.5" or 6" Petty like they wanted, especially if there's something particularly gifty given the price range.

(I have a tojiro DP petty, but the handle feels undersized... perhaps that's normal and I'm just not used to it)

Last edited:
Western handled Japanese knives in that price range are generally going to be more utilitarian and lack the looks of a Shun. That said, here are a couple options is you're willing to go in the ~7" range:

Use Code Start2023 for a 23% discount:
https://homebutcher.com/collections/featured-knives/products/nigara-hamono-180mm-sg2-migaki-bunka-2
https://knivesandstones.us/products...-western-handle-with-free-premium-knife-guard
Both interesting options, thank you!

I realize now “fancy” aesthetics is probably a bad-trade off in this price range. I guess I’m ok with a more “utilitarian” if the fit and finish are otherwise good (and of course the performance must be wow.)

If you are gifting a knife, you should be aware of some of the superstitions regarding it: Why do we give somebody a coin when they give us a knife as a gift?.

I can't find the post here, but there was a Japanese knife maker who included 2 go pieces with the knife. The symoblism of that, IIRC, is that the pieces reflect friendship, and that you cannot cut them apart (or something similar)

If you are gifting a knife, you should be aware of some of the superstitions regarding it: Why do we give somebody a coin when they give us a knife as a gift?.

I can't find the post here, but there was a Japanese knife maker who included 2 go pieces with the knife. The symoblism of that, IIRC, is that the pieces reflect friendship, and that you cannot cut them apart (or something similar)

My Masakage knives (when purchased new) all came with a coin as you describe.

Second stopping in to Bernal. It's always great to see stuff before you buy it.

A quick look at what they have in stock, this Hitohira HG ticks most of the boxes. In budget, stainless, some suminigashi, some tsuchime, western handle that isn't black, decently thin behind the edge without being overly fragile.

https://bernalcutlery.com/collectio...hg-210mm-gyuto-stainless-suminagashi-tsuchime
that Hitohira might be the winner, but you all have me convinced— I will make a trip up to Bernal. If I buy there, I can drop their business card in the box and it adds a little origin story, too, rather than "random knife with no name recognition" I ordered online.

regarding the tradition of not gifting knives, I have more thoughts on the matter, but will let it rest by noting the couple did have knives on their registry :)

I couldn't recall the name of this Japanese hardware shop over in Berkeley, but you can buy online or go into to see the knives in person and they have a handful of Western handled knives in your price range:

https://hidatool.com/list/c/chef-knives-slicers
Hida Tool is a little farther from me than Bernal, but that's also a good suggestion (the benefits of living in a large metro area). Berkeley has a lot of niche little shops like that.

My late grandfather used to visit a different store in Berkeley, Japan Woodworker, to purchase Japanese woodworking saws. I imagine they used to have decent knives, but they were bought out by Woodcraft a while back, and now their website only has a few crummy looking knives.

Back