Looking to buy a cheap bread knife... any recommendations?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorsfan

Reaction score
Hey! I recently got into making sourdough, and I'm looking at getting a cheap-ish bread knife that can handle it with ease. I want to keep the price under $100 (preferably under $50). Here are some options that I've looked at and what I've made of them:
These are just some of the options I have come across, and if you have any other recommendations, I'm all ears. Thanks for taking the time to help me out! :D

Hey, I had the Victorinox for years, and just switched to the tojiro 737. Sourdough has been my lockdown hobby, and I have no issue with either of them, even for super crusty bread. The tojiro is so sharp, it gets that first grabby bit, and the rest is no problem. The bottom can sometimes be a pain, but that is probably because I have a crappy cutting board...

I'm pretty sure you will get different opinions.
Have a lot of experience with the Vic. 10.25

Have used other bread knives at work for cutting loaded sandwich like clubs the Vic. is best it can also be sharpened after very heavy use.

Crusty loaf others have used German blade not sure how to spell it. Seems to be popular

Hey, I had the Victorinox for years, and just switched to the tojiro 737. Sourdough has been my lockdown hobby, and I have no issue with either of them, even for super crusty bread. The tojiro is so sharp, it gets that first grabby bit, and the rest is no problem. The bottom can sometimes be a pain, but that is probably because I have a crappy cutting board...

I'm assuming from the tone of your post that the Tojiro has been an upgrade for you over the Vic?

I'm pretty sure you will get different opinions.
Have a lot of experience with the Vic. 10.25

Have used other bread knives at work for cutting loaded sandwich like clubs the Vic. is best it can also be sharpened after very heavy use.

Crusty loaf others have used German blade not sure how to spell it. Seems to be popular

Wusthof?

Might add did cut through sub loafs loaded with ingredients. Vic does well with that too.

We buy Costco fresh baked breads. Cranberry walnut is a favorite also some others. Have been using sharp gyuto to make slices. Sometimes my slices not even. Thinking of picking up a Vic Fibrox wavy edge good blade for the coin.

I use and recommend Misono but that might be outside the price range. Absolutely no problem with hard crust breads.

Got the Tojiro F737 exactly for very hard crusty sourdough, when I don't want to hazard a gyuto or chef's. Works fine, little crumbles. Paid US$25 all-in.

I'm assuming from the tone of your post that the Tojiro has been an upgrade for you over the Vic?
Not sure it was an upgrade, just wanted to get something else for a change. It's thinner and more flexible, but not necessarily better.

However, a new bread knife is always better than a 14 year old one... :)

If you buy „cheap“ you will buy twice. But there are some budget options with great quality. My sister had a bread knife from Ikea, which - as much as I hate to admit - is impressive. Costs 30€, has a one piece design though (metal handle).

I’d go for Victorinox with rosewood handle. Bought this knife for my gf‘s place for 50€, and I seriously don’t see why one has to spend more than that for pure function.

Got the Tojiro F737 exactly for very hard crusty sourdough, when I don't want to hazard a gyuto or chef's. Works fine, little crumbles. Paid US$25 all-in.

A few questions: first, has it bent yet? I've seen many people talking about how flimsy this knife is. Also, just how bad is it on your cutting board? Lastly, how long have you had it for and how well has edge held up? Thanks for answering!

I don't think there is much of a point in paying for an expensive bread knife. A cheap one will do just as well. Instead, the main thing is to get one that is long. 12" is a good length. Makes it a lot easier to deal with large loaves.

I don't think there is much of a point in paying for an expensive bread knife. A cheap one will do just as well. Instead, the main thing is to get one that is long. 12" is a good length. Makes it a lot easier to deal with large loaves.

Can you link to one that is 12" long (and fits in my budget)? All the ones I've come across so far are around 10"

I have the Victorinox and can only say good things about it. For the money it is a hell of a knife!

If anyone in your house is left-handed, consider a double bevel.

Heck didn't think I'd end up buying a bread knife. I gave mine away when I retired.

Been using a Sharp gyuto at home for years.
It works. Found a Rosewood 10.25 on Amazon for 42.00 free shipping. Bought it.

Also, if I can piggyback off this thread, while not strictly related to OP's question, what is your solution to reducing board damage when it comes to bread knives?

A few questions: first, has it bent yet? I've seen many people talking about how flimsy this knife is. Also, just how bad is it on your cutting board? Lastly, how long have you had it for and how well has edge held up? Thanks for answering!
Have it now since February 2019. Have sharpened it once after a year with the factory edge, but as said, it doesn't get daily use. No bending. Yes, it is thin, and so it requires little pressure. No scratches, provided you keep it parallel with the board, have a light touch and rather turn the bread. It came correctly deburred OOTB.

Have it now since February 2019. Have sharpened it once after a year with the factory edge, but as said, it doesn't get daily use. No bending. Yes, it is thin, and so it requires little pressure. No scratches, provided you keep it parallel with the board, have a light touch and rather turn the bread. It came correctly deburred OOTB.

OK then, I'm going to order the knife now. Thank you so much for your help!

I have a the more expensive Tojiro 270mm ($63) but I'm sure the F737 is just as good. The key feature I do like is the serrations are not so aggresive that it chews up my cutting board. I have found that I use it more than I though on non-bread foods such as slicing tomatoes. One reason is it lives in our wood knife block verses my knife roll so it's easy just to grab and use.

Back