Looking to buy a tougher stainless laser to use at work.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waiting for W#2 Gesshin Ginga 240 availability myself. Hopefully soon!

My Shibata R2 is more laser-ish than my Tad as it is thinner behind the edge and thinner overall. I let go of a Kono GS because it was too light (<120 gram) for my taste. Speaking of the toughness, if you mean anti-chipping ability, I’d say Shibata is on the harder side not the tougher side. If you mean the ability to take horizontal force without bending or breaking, I’d say all those monosteel lasers would be tougher than a Shibata R2.

The Suisin Inox Honyaki line should be more durable than the other mono Sakai lasers.
I’m not very familiar with Konosuke GS, but if it’s core steel is SLD that stuff is very tough and durable too.
This isn’t to say the other suggestions don’t offer durability and toughness but I think these 2 options are the most beneficial if you’re concerned about chip resistance.

The Suisin Inox Honyaki line should be more durable than the other mono Sakai lasers.
I’m not very familiar with Konosuke GS, but if it’s core steel is SLD that stuff is very tough and durable too.
This isn’t to say the other suggestions don’t offer durability and toughness but I think these 2 options are the most beneficial if you’re concerned about chip resistance.

The Kono is a bit light but, my Kono HD2 is quite sturdy for a laser and it's actually feels more so than my Kono Fujiyama.

Oh for sure. If Konosuke GS has a microscopic edge then it will chip regardless of steel used if you’re not careful. I really don’t know much about them other than to say SLD is usually tough as nails.
Kono HD has always been plenty tough for me, but it’s all relative. There’s much tougher stuff out there if a user wants something extra durable.

I just googled the OPs knife that he uses. Pretty thin affordable very tough steel.
So you want to spend more get something 2.2mm or so thinness but nicer blade but still pretty tough?
I’d recommend this
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/collections/en/products/en-210mm-ginsanko-wa-gyuto
unfortunately sold out at the moment.
I’m sure I can think of another suggestion if you would like, but this one has pretty high levels of toughness and thinness.

I just googled the OPs knife that he uses. Pretty thin affordable very tough steel.
So you want to spend more get something 2.2mm or so thinness but nicer blade but still pretty tough?
I’d recommend this
https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/collections/en/products/en-210mm-ginsanko-wa-gyuto
unfortunately sold out at the moment.
I’m sure I can think of another suggestion if you would like, but this one has pretty high levels of toughness and thinness.

The Takayuki is a pretty great knife and I definitely recommend. I believe it had a 70/30 grind on it when I bought it. Needs a sand on the heel and spine though. That thing was a callus maker for sure.

What suggestion do you like so far?
I'm still not sure. There's a lot of great suggestions here. I began reading more about my Takayuki. I always thought it had a spine thickness of 1.9 but apparently its only 1.7. I'm still trying to find one close to as thin as that but I might be getting a bit picky lol.

For now I think I'm leaning towards the 210mm Ashi Ginga petty. Sounds like it has the most recommendations. Jon from JKI also says the profile is great as a line knife. Konosuke Hd2 and Gs sound good as well. I just don't know.

Last edited:
I'm still not sure. There's a lot of great suggestions here. I began reading more about my Takayuki. I always thought it had a spine thickness of 1.9 but apparently its only 1.7. I'm still trying to find one close to as thin as that but I might be getting a bit picky lol.

For now I think I'm leaning towards the 210mm Ashi Ginga petty. Sounds like it has the most recommendations. Jon from JKI also says the profile is great as a line knife. Konosuke Hd2 and Gs sound good as well. I just don't know.

I don't think you can wrong with a recommendation from Jon @ JKI. He has always been straight up with me and a ;lot of others on here with his recommendations. The last slicer I bought from him a 270 Kagekiyo Sujihiki is fantastic.

Of course I do have the Konosuke HD2 Gyuto that I picked up from Tosho Knife Arts several years ago thats quite a stellar performer with great edge retention.

Back