Looking to find a good mortar (EU)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, it's been 9 years since the last thread, so let's make a new one.

I'm looking for a mortar that will spark joy and perform well. The one I have is nothing but frustrating. It's pestle is thin and pointy, and stuff just jumps left and right from it and nothing gets grabbed. I see there is a lot of no-name offerings out there, which doesn't say much to me.

Ideally, it would be suited both for crushing spices as for making pastes. Price is not so much an issue, I want to buy one good one that will last and close the topic. Any recommendations for specific products or how I can get one that will do it's job nicely? Vendors should be in Europe.

Yeah you use it to grind spices
1678033452952.png

OK, well, I gave this one a shot (no pun intended):

https://www.messerspezialist.de/cole-and-mason-moerser.html
moerser.jpg

I hope the fact that it is 40€ and from a well-known knife vendor will mean it's good. Description is funny already.

Oh and I didn't know how fancy some mortars are:

mo31-1.jpg

That is cute, I admit it.

mortar_8cm_with_cast_iron_pestle_0017.jpg

Skeppshult is always a safe bet, but I decided to go for something stainless... for once.

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to the different materials?

Yeah I have one in granite. But I didn't look at other possibilities. Thought maybe there was some meta mortar 😅

Get the biggest one you can get/afford/have room for.

I like granite. The natural texture (unpolished) aids grinding of spices and foods.
+1
Never understood these light ceramic and metal ones. Tried it and they just don't work for spices and such. Rather take a hammer or my big wooden "dough roller".

Bought mine ~20y ago. From a Jamie Oliver series of kitchen tools. 40€. Yeah could have got a cheaper one at the asian store but it is perfect i have to say.

You want a big one for pastes with oil and for the jumping coriander seeds.
I think your choice is looking good.

I bought the Jamie Oliver granite mortar (20cm) a few years ago and it's awesome. Really heavy as it should be. 70€ nowadays but i think it's still worth it
Amazon link

I've been struggling with this search myself... especially since my main complaint about my current one is that I wished it was larger, but almost everything is of similar size.

Look for a Milton Brook 6 mortar & pestle. They are unglazed but nonporous, so they have a certain amount of "grit" to the mortar and pestle's surface. Originally made for the pharmaceutical industry, they are very easy to clean and are stain resistant. I suggest the size "6" because it is large enough (8 1/2 inches across x 4 1/2 high, and holds about a quart) to grind and/or crush virtually anything I have the strength and patience for. Expect to pay about $85 but they are worth every penny. Mine is about 15 years old and was produced in England.

https://www.amazon.com/Milton-Unglazed-Mortar-Pestle-Diameter/dp/B00509XTQS?th=1

Last edited:
Back