Looking to get a 8-9" or 210mm chef's knife/gyuto for my brother

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgslee08

Reaction score
Hey all, I've been meaning to get a knife for my brother's birthday present. I've filled out the questionnaire, below but wanted to give some context.

He's definitely not a knife enthusiast, but would definitely appreciate a nice one (he currently has a really cheap one that "gets the job done" from Crofton), and while he's not a chef by any means, he knows his way around a kitchen and would treat his stuff right. I got him into sharpening his own stuff about a year ago, and we've talked a decent bit about knives and sharpening. He has a soft knife and a honing rod and is in the habit of honing his knives pretty often, which is why I was thinking that it'd be good to get him an hrc 57-59 knife. but just as easily he could get a ceramic rod if I bought him a knife that's a bit harder.

It seemed like the messermeister oliva elite was good, but I've also seen some mixed reviews. Any input on this knife?

Overall I'm trying not to spend over $200, but I'm confident he'll take good care of his knife. I'm hoping that this is something he'll feel good about using every day, since I'm also thinking that he's gonna have it for a long time. Because of that, I'm okay with spending a bit more.

KNIFE TYPE
chef's knife/gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Either/or. He doesn't have huge hands, but I think would like a slightly more substantial handle. I have a Kurosaki with an octagonal handle that he was lukewarm about, but I think he'd be okay with a larger D-shaped. He did tell me he's not really into boxy handles, and he likes his knife's handle (it's fairly round). I also have a suspicion he'd like the kind of handle you see on the yaxell knives (though a number of people here don't seem to like yaxell that much).

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
8-9 inch (I think he might prefer an 8 inch, but if it's a 9 inch only or the 9 inch just has a better profile, I think that would be fine), or 210mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
250 USD (trying not to spend over 200 though)

KNIFE USE
home cooking

mostly just chopping veggies, slicing meat, general food prep. Hardest thing he cuts on a regular basis would probably be carrots.

Replacing a pretty cheap knife from Aldi

pinch grip

mostly does a rocking cut, push cut, slice. He doesn't rock super far back on his knife though, so even a lot of gyuto profiles would probably be just fine for him.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
easy to sharpen, holds a sharper edge for longer

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
preferred to be a wood handle, damascus would be great but not necessary. relative scratch resistance would be nice too.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
well balanced, rounded spine. comfortable handle (explained in knife type section)

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
smoother rock chopping, preferred to be a somewhat thinner knife. Doesn't necessarily need to be a laser, but also not looking for wedging

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
3 months

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
synthetic sometimes, wood sometimes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
yes, but he's not very experienced

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
seems like he would be definitely be interested in learning more, especially if he's getting a better knife

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
He probably would be, or I probably would just get him better stones or other sharpening products as gifts down the road anyway.

Global G2 is a solid choice to pair with a honing rod. And I think the hrc is around 58. The steel might be AUS6 or something similar. It costs $85 on Amazon at the moment. A bit pricy for what it provides, but not a bad gift choice for someone who shows no real interest in knives but wants something nicer than a grocery store knife.

Last edited:
Another standard option is

https://knivesandstones.us/collecti...銀三-nashiji-gyuto-240mm?variant=30284857606180

All these suggestions are for higher HRC knives, though. If you want something monosteel (hence more scratch resistant than the tanaka or the kaeru), you could get him a Mac Pro.

Not sure what to suggest for lower HRC, unless you just want to get him a German knife or something... Globals don't get the most love around here.

Globals are the only soft stainless where you see micro-chipping. Must have to do with carbide-clusters breaking out. No candidate for a rod I'd say.
Much better stainless are the Misono 440 {Rc59) and the K-Sabatier 200-series (14C28N @60Rc). The Misono coarser grained, the 14C28N finer. Both have a splendid Fit&Finish, if that matters. Careful use of a very fine rod as the Dickoron Micro is an option.

I think micro-chipping is caused by the combination of an acute edge angle and the property/quality of the steel. Not saying Global G2 is a fantastic knife, but it cuts really well out of the box for its price. And I think the out of the box performance is really important for OP considering the knife won’t be sharpened on a stone.

I’ve never used a Mac, Misono or K-Satatier though, so can’t speak much about their performance and of course those could be better options.

Ganga, stainless clad gengetsu, or Tanaka ginsan come to mind. They are all superb. The gengetsu is a very substantial knife, superb performer, great fit and finish, great handle too, but not stainless. The Ganga is stainless, mono steel, great F&F, a bit of a laser. The Tanaka is a great performer, nice steel, mid weight. F&F is a bit rougher than the other two. All three are not very tall, sufficient for me, but not for someone who has huge hands. If I had a choice of these I would pick the Gengetsu, I think it’s a bit over your budget, but worth it. Another would be a yoshikane in sld, but not sure what they go for currently.

hey guys! thanks for the suggestions.
A couple things - to be more clear, it's not that he's not into knives at all - but he also lives with a roommate that destroys her knife, and he knew he was gonna be moving. I should say that he's more the kind of person that is starting to get into knives.
I'd be curious about the gesshin that midsummer suggested, and while a lot of other really beautiful knives have been suggested, I'd also be looking for an oval handle or D shaped handle, since he probably wouldn't do his own handle install.

One thing I'm curious about is the bolsters - most western handled gyuto i see have a pretty boxy handles as well, which he's not a fan of, which is why I find the handle on yaxell and shun knives interesting (probably the only real reason they're even a partial consideration). They have the integral bolster as well as a round handle. There's this one shiro kamo I've seen on cktg that kinda has this, but it's the only one I've seen from an individual maker. Anybody know of other examples of indiv. makers' knives w/ integral bolsters and rounder handles?

Why do you want an integral bolster? I mean, aesthetic preferences are what they are, so if integral + D handle is really what’s important to you, then you could just go buy a Shun. You’ll overpay for the performance, but they’re not terrible knives, especially if you’re a rock chopper. They’re the first good knives many people buy. But if you end up deeper into a knife obsession, you’ll likely lose interest in them.

Otherwise, the Kaeru suggested above has a D handle and is highly rated here. $160 + shipping, or you could buy something for yourself at the same time and get free shipping.

Do they not make it a bit more comfortable in the hand? That was always my impression. The aesthetics of an integral bolster are definitely not important to me at all (I can't even say I'd like the look any more than w/out) - and any well-made knife tends to look pretty stunning to me anyway

Back