Low and going maker

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoshi

Shindo Maniac
Reaction score
Inspired by the up and coming sakai thread.

Have you bought any really hyped up knife, and when you test cut it for the first time your heart sank and thought to yourself, "how the f is this maker so hyped up? 🤣"

I'll start, my first intro to fancy Japanese knife was Kurosaki, to a point a bought a few. I was told how much of a laser and beauty it was. But the F&F was really underwhelming, and the performance as a laser did not wow me at all. It really made me wonder why it was gathering so much hype in Japan and on Reddit.

In a similar way takeda was quite similar when I first tried it. It was my fault for not understanding the knife and my first test cut was a big fat carrot. It wedged more than a highschool bully can give you the worst wedgie. But as I used it more, I kinda learned to love the knife, you really need to pick what you cut it with.

Last edited:

Have you bought any really hyped up knife, and when you test cut it for the first time your heart sank and thought to yourself, "how the f is this maker so hyped up? 🤣"
I'm not gonna name names, but a few years ago, as part of a knife-swap a couple of forum members and I were doing, I got to try out a very popular western maker's work. I was incredibly underwhelmed. And overjoyed: it meant I wasn't going to have to drop hundreds of dollars buying one!

Last edited:
Brrrap didn't cut it for me.
It could not even chop through tiny carrots
but then i may not understand low bevel knives.
(And of course you might like or not like knives from a specific maker; it is a personal taste like so many other things.)
This 500$ knife was supposed to replace a 40$ Kanetsune 180mm gyuto and well i still have the Kanetsune.

Not here to bash any maker though. If you think about it, it is US who makes the hype, not the maker (well, marketing and the internet can accelerate though).
I also like to believe that in the end quality rules and that makers get what they deserve.
#fingerscrossed

Last edited:
I like the general idea of this, but I’m afraid of two things.

1) Knives are individuals even when they are quite similar from makers. They also vary due to styles of grinds and steels. I’m sure many people here adjust knives to their own preferences through sharpening and even handle changes on Wa handled knives for balance.

2) This will create a negative bashing for some nice knife makers which isn’t a good thing. There aren’t enough makers, and we need to be encouraging more.

I'll start, my first intro to fancy Japanese knife was Kurosaki, to a point a bought a few. I was told how much of a laser and beauty it was. But the F&F was really underwhelming, and the performance as a laser did not wow me at all. It really made me wonder why it was gathering so much hype in Japan and on Reddit.

In a similar way takeda was quite similar when I first tried it. It was my fault for not understanding the knife and my first test cut was a big fat carrot. It wedged more than a highschool bully can give you the worst wedgie. But as I used it more, I kinda learned to love the knife, you really need to pick what you cut it with.

I did buy a Takeda. In my hands, it’s nothing special. The flare that provides good food release has consequences on thick root veg. I’ll probably sell it and get another Shibata. A Kashima dropping through a big russet is … sensual.

Kurosaki’s bling factor kept me away. Not my groove.

My first "expensive" knife was a konosuke HD2 210 mm gyuto. At least it was expensive to me. I bought it from a local shop who apparently was about 30% more expensive with the knife then most other dealers.

To be honest it was the start of my knife journey. And what bothered me just as much as the knife. Was the fact that i was convinced by the sales jazz coming out of a very skilled salesman's. I should have known better.

That knife just felt so "dead" borring and performed just underwhelming.
For comparison I shortly after purchased a shiro Kamo in VG10 that was a way better cutter.

TxKs. Mine came with a primary bevel so thick it didn't come remotely close to the cutting performance of a Yoshikane I had at the time, cracking and wedging on medium carrots. Sharpening hard blue #1 with such a thick primary bevel was also painful without thinning the primary bevel down.

I decided to return it and got a much more enjoyable knife shortly after.

Last edited:
TxKs. Mine came with a primary bevel so thick it didn't come remotely close to the cutting performance of a Yoshikane I had at the time, cracking a wedging on medium carrots. Sharpening hard blue #1 with such a thick primary bevel was also painful without thinning the primary bevel down.

Was yours an older one? The grind these days is so thin I put a microbevel on my migaki one pretty much straight away for fear of chipping the zero edge.

Was yours an older one? The grind these days is so thin I put a microbevel on my migaki one pretty much straight away for fear of chipping the zero edge.
Agree with this, there seems to be a fair bit of variation in the grind. even today. In my observation, this is observable between different finishes in particular, but even within one ‘model’ or ‘class’ g regular or extra height) and finish (migaki, KU). At one extreme, I have observed a KU that is 2.8mm at the spine and over 3mm at shinogi at the heel, and slightly thinner at the mid way point. At the other end end of the spectrum are some migakis, one of which I am aware is 1.9mm spine at heel and 1.4mm at mid with shinogi obviously protruding but by no means broad. I’m not surprised to hear that there is a diversity of experience with these.

Agree with this, there seems to be a fair bit of variation in the grind. even today. In my observation, this is observable between different finishes in particular, but even within one ‘model’ or ‘class’ g regular or extra height) and finish (migaki, KU). At one extreme, I have observed a KU that is 2.8mm at the spine and over 3mm at shinogi at the heel, and slightly thinner at the mid way point. At the other end end of the spectrum are some migakis, one of which I am aware is 1.9mm spine at heel and 1.4mm at mid with shinogi obviously protruding but by no means broad. I’m not surprised to hear that there is a diversity of experience with these.
It was one of the thicker spined ones, with no square stamp, so not that old. I don't think spine thickness was my issue with it, it seems that the edge just got sharpened a bit too much before shipping and it make the edge bevel thicker than necessary.

It was quite disappointing comparing the TxK's performance to another wide level knife I had - a Kagekiyo with a ghostly thin edge that has a barely visible primary level. Though the fit and finish on the TxK is slightly better, I really like the feel of that Taihei blond horn handle, I'll give it that.

20220515_104756.jpg

20220515_104426.jpg

Last edited:
Not really bad but Takadas are underwhelming for me
I don't think thats necessarily that the Takada's are bad, but a little bit of more hype due to smaller suppy. A lot of knives are like that, but sometimes ownership of a hype item is a benefit to itself.

Like chicago hotdogs. Was sold to me as best thing ever. It was a good hotdog, but not worth standing in line for 30 min to eat...its still a hotdog....

I don't think thats necessarily that the Takada's are bad, but a little bit of more hype due to smaller suppy. A lot of knives are like that, but sometimes ownership of a hype item is a benefit to itself.

Like chicago hotdogs. Was sold to me as best thing ever. It was a good hotdog, but not worth standing in line for 30 min to eat...its still a hotdog....
Chicago dogs are my favorite, but I wouldn't wait in a line ever for one lol.

Chicago dogs are my favorite, but I wouldn't wait in a line ever for one lol.
I was 22 and just starting watching No Reservations on TV. I'd like to think we were all dumb at some point .

I just remember thinking it was a hour+ wait as it was hot and had a massive hangover.

Biggest let down was the CKTG Konosuke Fuji FM. Worst handle imaginable and the blade cladding was super reactive. Horrible bead blasted faux kasumi. These knives are SOOO overhyped.
shig had the most reactivity out of anything I ever owned. would have kept it otherwise. I swear that thing looked like iced tea spilled on paper if I stepped away for a minute 🤣

Brrrap didn't cut it for me.
It could not even chop through tiny carrots
but then i may not understand low bevel knives.
(And of course you might like or not like knives from a specific maker; it is a personal taste like so many other things.)
This 500$ knife was supposed to replace a 40$ Kanetsune 180mm gyuto and well i still have the Kanetsune.

#fingerscrossed
Was it the KT grind? That I can believe might be wedgy. Never owned a Brrrrp so can't offer any personal experience. That said the Kato Ku has a low bevel but it cuts like an absolute dream.

TxKs. Mine came with a primary bevel so thick it didn't come remotely close to the cutting performance of a Yoshikane I had at the time, cracking and wedging on medium carrots. Sharpening hard blue #1 with such a thick primary bevel was also painful without thinning the primary bevel down.

offended-disgusted.gif

Both Kamons I’ve used weren’t thin enough to cut by virtue of being lasery and were too rear weighted for the blade to help with the work. Made for a clunky feeling tip that I didn’t enjoy. I know people who I trust who love theirs, so I chalk it up to variance. I think his high chef would with more weight forward being less pizza-y would solve a lot my weighting preferences. His knives have obscenely good fit & finish though and an are joy to handle - really special feeling.

Every Raquin I’ve handled, 9 of them now, needed a thinning at the edge to meet my standards. He grinds them fairly convex and conservative behind the edge because he has a fair few customers who aren’t nerds like us who need that extra strength with how hard he runs his steels (64+). I prefer his thinner grinds to the kitchen tractor, but everyone I’ve taken down to a zero edge with some nailflex has come alive and become an absolutely stunning performer.

Yanick’s grinds have thickened up somewhat as he’s moved to a lower bevel. My one from a few years ago is one of the thinnest knives behind the edge I’ve ever seen and cuts like an absolute demon. Another gyuto I had was a strong performer in its own right but trended more workhorse. Great knife still, but different. I’ve got a nakiri now that’s kinda between the two that I love, but will get to thinning out eventually. Old yanick choil:
IMG_6806.jpeg

The lasery Japanese stuff just works IMO. A lot of western (and Japanese makers) workhorse stuff, even highly praised makers, just doesn’t have that type of efficiency. Some people love them, but they’re typically not my speed. I also take a very tool-like mindset to knives though. I think the makers job is to deliver a well heat treated blade with a solid grind and good character. I think it’s my job to make tweaks to that blade to make it perform how I want it to for the tasks I perform. I shouldn’t need to regrind anything, but I also don’t expect anything thicker than 3mm at the spine to perform exactly how I want without any input from me on coarse stones.

The Sakai widebevel stuff I simply don’t get. Tanaka x Kyuzo meh. Gimme a nice convex from that same blank 10 times out of 10.

Last edited:
Back