Massdrop for KKF?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Massdrop for KKF?

• Yes

Votes: 100 87.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 13.0%

• Total voters
20210323-130908.jpg

20210323-130918.jpg

20210323-130828.jpg

Finally DHL delivered last night. Never have seen such tight workmanship on wood shavings. The craftsman has some serious skills and must have been an apprentice to a master prosciutto slicer.
The 210 is just gorgeous, delightful in hand and has petrified the onion and tomato on the counter. Many thanks to all at KKF who made this happen. Robin - Thank you so much for an amazing instrument. Can't wait to put it through its paces later today.

Big man @Marcelo Amaral is the only guy with the 270 - share pictures with us when it arrives mate!

Incidentally, he also has a TF denka nakiri which he refused to sell to me.

Haha...
It will take some time to share the Dalman gyuto as it wasn't sent directly to me.
Thanks for making everything possible, Dalman and nakiriknaifuwaifu!

Definitely interested to know how it reacts to acidic food, and how the edge holds up. Generally honyaki are very good through acidic food in my experience.
So I actually run all my knives through a few tests before I take them in to work. So far here are my initial findings: mine is reactive before patina. Acids cause discoloration within a minute and rust begins to form within 5. So far the reactivity is pretty standard. I'll redo my test after patina and report back.

I also just put on my own edge on and will report back after a full shift today.

*full disclosure: my "tests" aren't scientifically rigorous. I wait to see how long before reaction with still water in one area and a small amount of lemon juice in another.

And finally is here!
First impressions are really good as expected, nice FF and feels really solid in hand, mine came at 215mm :)
I can see why Robin sells all his knives within minutes when he puts on his website.
Thanks again @RDalman ,@RockyBasel ,@nakiriknaifuwaifu @lemeneid .
If it wasn't for this massdrop I would have many future frustrations trying to score a Dalman the "normal way"

Attachments

• 20210324_122447.jpg
    20210324_122447.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210324_122537.jpg
    20210324_122537.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210324_122557.jpg
    20210324_122557.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 36
And finally is here!
First impressions are really good as expected, nice FF and feels really solid in hand, mine came at 215mm :)
I can see why Robin sells all his knives within minutes when he puts on his website.
Thanks again @RDalman ,@RockyBasel ,@nakiriknaifuwaifu @lemeneid .
If it wasn't for this massdrop I would have many future frustrations trying to score a Dalman the "normal way"
The kiri box is so awesome!!! Glad I added it to my order too, really completes the package.

Well, everyone knows what this is:

View attachment 123418

I purchased this from @esoo through BST. Erik was a perfect seller - always responsive, perfectly helpful when French customs decided to be jerks, on top of every aspect. 5/5.

French customs decided that a 200 euro tax fee was fair. So, that was sub-awesome.

He had used the knife for a few preps, so it came pre-patina-ed! Vendors should offer that service.

It had the original edge, which had been used, so it was far too dull for me. Therefore, the first step was a nice session with a Chosera 3k and some leather stropping. NOW it was blindingly sharp - all of the usual tests were trivial. Push cutting newspaper, shaving arm hair without edge pressure on skin, gliding through tomato skins under the weight of the blade. The steel doesn't feel particularly easy to sharpen - it's not shirogami or aogami, taking a good bit longer to raise a burr - but it is consistent.

Here are the dimensions from my knife spreadsheet:
View attachment 123419

Performance is great after sharpening. Lunch prep for my GF and I was a large mixed salad, so a number of veggies were required. The tip glides through onions, sticking was minimal to normal for these items. It wedges a very tiny bit on a moderately thick carrot. The tomatoes were trivial to go through, even last in the series after the onions, cuke, carrots and apples. All peeling was also done with the knife.

View attachment 123420

Even missed opportunities (the massdrop) can be unmissed. :D

Here's the post! Let's get some more pictures on here, I never tire of this knife.

Good call on the Suehiro 3k. The edge off of the Ouka has been an absolute dream on this knife. I find any more refined (like SG4k or Suita) and the steel starts to lose its teeth (though generally I prefer more refined edges), any less (1k and below) and it starts to feel like a saw.

By the way, the steel used is a simple steel in the shirogami range. The reason it's more difficult to sharpen is because it's a honyaki - I'm not sure specifically why (probably because the steel is ran so hard) but they generally all feel on the glassier side to my hands.

Latest posts

Back