Massdrop III: Kamon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s the weekend, I have a Kamon. I am happy. Seeing other lucky recipients of this Massdrop enjoying their new knives makes me even happier, a shared joyous experience.

Am I happy as Larry? Could I be happy enough to break out into a spontaneous dance? It is a distinct possibility.

PS: I will happily donate TEN English pounds to the server fund for footage of any Kamonite massdropper recreating Larry‘s hip swing with their new studded saya. (Limits apply, first three only, we don’t want to start a craze)
PPS. Larry didn‘t get a 260 by the looks of it, the flash git. Perhaps a Nakiri, or one of those extra height Togashi big bunkas.

Joshing aside, I do want to escape this codpiece cul-de-sac to clearly acknowledge that this Kamon is a serious blade that I am most, most grateful to have received. I haven’t really been able to throw enough of a payload at it with three limited weeknight dinners to gain an elevated understanding, but I already know enough to know that this a very fine bit of work indeed. The OOTB edge lived up the warnings above, passing the rizla/ultrafine OCB and a range of veg tests effortlessly -horizontal cuts on onion an absolute pleasure in particular. Found myself dicing, and dicing, not wanting the the aliums to end, the excuse of needing finally chopped veg for meatballs running out of plausible ground too early. Looking forward to get to know the Kamon more.

It wasn’t Larry and Cameo that really sprung to mind when I put the Kamon into action either, Slightly ridiculously it got a little more cinematic that that, the soundtrack to Ghost Dog surging into mind as I made the first test cuts for some reason.

I absolutely appreciate, painfully, that making a comparison between a kitchen knife and a dated Jim Jarmusch/Forest Whitaker samurai-mobster film exposes me to a monstrously high risk of disappearing up my own derrière, but I can’t help but hum along mentally and want to rewatch the flick. This Kamon should be a bit of an intimidating monster, a big, dark pock-marked triangle of threat, Yet you can’t help but feel there’s far more sensitivity and warmth (rainbow prism tangs and softly rounded heels for a start) beyond the stereotype, plus a hugely surprising amount of grace and balance for a big boy. And there’s certainly no doubting the clinical, ruthlessly efficiency of this thing - it smoothly glides through product, showing elegance in the silent murderation of a pile of mushrooms. It is a compelling, slightly outworldly companion that demands respect.

Anyway, erm, good film/soundtrack, even better knife. I am going to have some good times with this blade

👍

Last edited:
Joshing aside, I do want to escape this codpiece cul-de-sac to clearly acknowledge that this Kamon is a serious blade that I am most, most grateful to have received. I haven’t really been able to throw enough of a payload at it with three limited weeknight dinners to gain an elevated understanding, but I already know enough to know that this a very fine bit of work indeed. The OOTB edge lived up the warnings above, passing the rizla/ultrafine OCB and a range of veg tests effortlessly -horizontal cuts on onion an absolute pleasure in particular. Found myself dicing, and dicing, not wanting the the aliums to end, the excuse of needing finally chopped veg for meatballs running out of plausible ground too early. Looking forward to get to know the Kamon more.

It wasn’t Larry and Cameo that really sprung to mind when I put the Kamon into action either, Slightly ridiculously it got a little more cinematic that that, the soundtrack to Ghost Dog surging into mind as I made the first test cuts for some reason.

I absolutely appreciate, painfully, that making a comparison between a kitchen knife and a dated Jim Jarmusch/Forest Whitaker samurai-mobster film exposes me to a monstrously high risk of disappearing up my own derrière, but I can’t help but hum along mentally and want to rewatch the flick. This Kamon should be a bit of an intimidating monster, a big, dark pock-marked triangle of threat, Yet you can’t help but feel there’s far more sensitivity and warmth (rainbow prism tangs and softly rounded heels for a start) beyond the stereotype, plus a hugely surprising amount of grace and balance for a big boy. And there’s certainly no doubting the clinical, ruthlessly efficiency of this thing - it smoothly glides through product, showing elegance in the silent murderation of a pile of mushrooms. It is a compelling, slightly outworldly companion that demands respect.

Anyway, erm, good film/soundtrack, even better knife. I am going to have some good times with this blade

👍

👏 Applause for the Ghost Dog reference. Maybe not one of Jarmusch's best films but I'd put in the top third of his output

Are these paralleled wavy lines banding or something else? Today I found these lines when I was observing it after sharpening.

2AF45020-2ADB-4683-958F-69235E85363E.jpeg

👏 Applause for the Ghost Dog reference. Maybe not one of Jarmusch's best films but I'd put in the top third of his output

Aw cheers, glad someone else has watched and the slightly tortured ref wasn‘t in vain. Haven‘t seen the film in years until now tbh - a sadder ending than I remembered - but it’s still a good un, despite me bring well past my 20s and less prone to Wu-Tang adoration now. Reckon the comparison still vaguely holds water fwiw, as deliberately shoehorned as it was. Frankly I just wanted to leave another memory of Kamon more cultured than codpieces, as fine as Larry’s uncarriage was.

The Jarmusch film that I really need to watch again is Mystery Train, which I’m fond, but have very partial (stoned) memories of. I just haven‘t bought a knife that‘s compelled me to replay that one yet…

Aw cheers, glad someone else has watched and the slightly tortured ref wasn‘t in vain. Haven‘t seen the film in years until now tbh - a sadder ending than I remembered - but it’s still a good un, despite me bring well past my 20s and less prone to Wu-Tang adoration now. Reckon the comparison still vaguely holds water fwiw, as deliberately shoehorned as it was. Frankly I just wanted to leave another memory of Kamon more cultured than codpieces, as fine as Larry’s uncarriage was.

The Jarmusch film that I really need to watch again is Mystery Train, which I’m fond, but have very partial (stoned) memories of. I just haven‘t bought a knife that‘s compelled me to replay that one yet…

I think I like his first two films (Stranger Than Paradise and Down by Law) the best but I also have a soft spot for Ghost Dog, Paterson, Mystery Train, and The Only Lovers Left Alive. The Dead Don't Die was his only complete misfire for me.
My twenties are so far in the rear view mirror that they barely register as a dot, nevertheless I do miss the late twentieth century.
Insert obligatory "nice knife!"

I just finished reading the thread from the beginning and what a treat. Beautiful blades, deep insights into knife making, gambling, phallic references, this thread's got it all!

Seriously though, I learned so much here. Many thanks to the three Massketeers and Mr. Kamon. I think I am a fan.

Aaand I need one of these.

But can you really stop at just the tip? Sorry, couldn't help it.

The tip thinness and geometry blow me away every time I use one of his knives, no matter how many times I come back to them. Between this and how nimble the knives feel it's as though you have a razor blade that's an extension of your hand.

With the arrival of my 225 yesterday, I believe Massdrop III: Kamon edition is complete!
Have only done minimal cutting so far, but was thoroughly impressed.
Masterful craftsmanship by @KAMON Knives with a unique style and incredible attention to detail. Thanks for bringing us all along for the ride and all the great information and insights to help us better understand knifemaking and your processes. I'm really grateful to have the opportunity to participate.
Sometimes after waiting months or more for a knife and hearing other people's positive impressions, my expectations become unreasonably high. They were quite high for this one, and I will say that the finished product has lived up to them. The dramatic distal taper (and knowledge of how the knives are made) is incredible, and seems to allow this knife to incorporate seemingly incompatible properties into a single blade. I expect to continue to find thoughtful characteristics as I continue to use it.
And of course a HUGE thanks to our Three Massketeers, @RockyBasel , @nakiriknaifuwaifu , and @lemeneid to go through the many, many steps of this project going from dream to reality for 40 happy new Kamon owners. While I'm sure this is a labor of love that yields immense satisfaction for the three of you, it relies on many hours the three of you contributed. I'm so happy to have been able to be a part of it. And sorry for those who were not fortunate enough to get a knife through this massdrop. I wish you luck if you decide to pursue a Kamon through other channels, and hope you have better luck in a future massdrop.
I'm guessing there will be more amazing massdrop opportunities in the future, and I am eagerly looking forward to Massdrop IV, whenever it happens!

With the arrival of my 225 yesterday, I believe Massdrop III: Kamon edition is complete!
Have only done minimal cutting so far, but was thoroughly impressed.
Masterful craftsmanship by @KAMON Knives with a unique style and incredible attention to detail. Thanks for bringing us all along for the ride and all the great information and insights to help us better understand knifemaking and your processes. I'm really grateful to have the opportunity to participate.
Sometimes after waiting months or more for a knife and hearing other people's positive impressions, my expectations become unreasonably high. They were quite high for this one, and I will say that the finished product has lived up to them. The dramatic distal taper (and knowledge of how the knives are made) is incredible, and seems to allow this knife to incorporate seemingly incompatible properties into a single blade. I expect to continue to find thoughtful characteristics as I continue to use it.
And of course a HUGE thanks to our Three Massketeers, @RockyBasel , @nakiriknaifuwaifu , and @lemeneid to go through the many, many steps of this project going from dream to reality for 40 happy new Kamon owners. While I'm sure this is a labor of love that yields immense satisfaction for the three of you, it relies on many hours the three of you contributed. I'm so happy to have been able to be a part of it. And sorry for those who were not fortunate enough to get a knife through this massdrop. I wish you luck if you decide to pursue a Kamon through other channels, and hope you have better luck in a future massdrop.
I'm guessing there will be more amazing massdrop opportunities in the future, and I am eagerly looking forward to Massdrop IV, whenever it happens!
ah **** all knives are delivered all across the world woooooo
finally time to write my best person on the forum award massdrop closing thank you speech post
:dancingcow:

With the conclusion of Massdrop III: Kamon...
@KAMON Knives
@alterwisser @RockyBasel @lemeneid

On behalf of the organisers, I'd like to thank the Austrian Godsmith himself: Benjamin Kamon.

It’s an incredible feat of blacksmithing to produce as many knives as you did within just a couple months - and I’m sure I speak for everyone by saying that these are some of the most gorgeous, well-engineered, high performing knives I’ve had the pleasure of handling.

To everyone who participated in this thread - thank you for the interest and appreciation. I hope you all found this Massdrop an enjoyable and enlightening experience, and of course - if you received a knife I hope you are enjoying yours as much as I am mine :)

Finally, I would like to thank my partners in crime - my fellow massketeers @RockyBasel and @alterwisser as well as our esteemed APAC distributor and professional sweetened citrus drink, @lemeneid. Thanks for making this massdrop a successful one 🍻

It’s been an absolute pleasure lads ✌

:dancingcow:
nkw

Last edited:
Can anyone share the spine thickness of their 225?
(handle, heel, mid, 1cm from tip?)

Back