mazaki knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just purchased my first Mazaki. 210mm nashiji gyuto from Knifewear. Should be here in a couple of days. Casey from kw was kind enough to measure their stock and find me the longest one at 219mm. Profile looks like a middle style, not bull-nosed and not upswept.

I bought the Mazaki Santoku from Cleancut very recently. Tip top knife. Cuts beautifully and holds its edge great for white #2. Mine was very very reactive. Cleancut also have a European website with a different domain. I buy a lot of knives from them along with cuttingedgeknives.co.uk being in Ireland. The delivery is only €18 euros from Cleancut.

I recently bought the last 240 Wat from carbonknifeco and the duties on that blade were insane. Had to have it though!

Just purchased my first Mazaki. 210mm nashiji gyuto from Knifewear. Should be here in a couple of days. Casey from kw was kind enough to measure their stock and find me the longest one at 219mm. Profile looks like a middle style, not bull-nosed and not upswept.

Nice, I thought he stopped making those.

Attachments

• IMG_1637_2000x.jpg
    IMG_1637_2000x.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 188
Just got my 240 Profile from the JNS sale. No scale handy right now, but it measures a relatively modest 243mm tip-to-heel, and 53mm high at heel. It has the 4 kanji left side which I gather refers to the charcoal quenching (though I cannot read it myself). Nice looking knife and shipped FAST!

Just got my 240 Profile from the JNS sale. No scale handy right now, but it measures a relatively modest 243mm tip-to-heel, and 53mm high at heel. It has the 4 kanji left side which I gather refers to the charcoal quenching (though I cannot read it myself). Nice looking knife and shipped FAST!
yeah i got my knife on wed. would have been monday but i had to delay the delivery date because I assumed it would come later to my new residence. handle was flipped as asked, im not an expert but it looks like a pretty lefty friendly blade. haven't gotten to cut or measure anything since I'm still in unpacking hell.

Just weighed it...230 grams.

Got my Mazaki Nashiji gyuto yesterday.
Used it for everything I could think of. Trimming and cutting steaks, fish, veg prep, line work. Anything and everything. It's quite a bit heavier than my other knives, especially my Kurosaki R2. Weight is 7.9oz, length is 219mm, height is 50.8mm. He's a big boi.
mo50FGM.jpg

Last edited:
Used it for everything I could think of. Trimming and cutting steaks, fish, veg prep, line work. Anything and everything. It's quite a bit heavier than my other knives, especially my Kurosaki R2. Weight is 7.9oz, length is 219mm, height is 50.8mm. He's a big boi.
mo50FGM.jpg

Love the finish, the profile (vs some of the other Mazaki that I've seen) and the price is nice. So tempting.

Finally got to use my mazaki, breaking down a tenderloin, didn't react at all yet but expect it to when I cut the hot fillets tomorrow. I can say without a doubt now I do not particularly enjoy D handles, otherwise it feels good in hand, though heel could use a little more sandpaper. I'm not a grind expert yet but I think this one will work well for my lefty needs. Quick measurements as I bought a caliper when I was at the hardware store yesterday (no weight yet can't find scale):

Length 245mm, heel 54mm, spine at handle 5.95mm, about 1cm from heel .95mm

https://imgur.com/a/NKiju44

Finally got to use my mazaki, breaking down a tenderloin, didn't react at all yet but expect it to when I cut the hot fillets tomorrow. I can say without a doubt now I do not particularly enjoy D handles, otherwise it feels good in hand, though heel could use a little more sandpaper. I'm not a grind expert yet but I think this one will work well for my lefty needs. Quick measurements as I bought a caliper when I was at the hardware store yesterday (no weight yet can't find scale):

Length 245mm, heel 54mm, spine at handle 5.95mm, about 1cm from heel .95mm

https://imgur.com/a/NKiju44

That is a sexy looking choil shot!

I actually like D handles better oriented in the wrong direction.
ha you just might be right about it, holding the knife in my right hand it kind of makes sense, since the rib mostly aligns with the tips of my fingers. The idea behind D shape being sort of like ribbed golf club grips is nice in theory, but to me it's just a little unergonomic. I prefer oval, octagonal, even hybrids.

ha you just might be right about it, holding the knife in my right hand it kind of makes sense, since the rib mostly aligns with the tips of my fingers. The idea behind D shape being sort of like ribbed golf club grips is nice in theory, but to me it's just a little unergonomic. I prefer oval, octagonal, even hybrids.

I have always loved the anryu oval handles and wished more oval handles were made.

I have always loved the anryu oval handles and wished more oval handles were made.
Honestly oval is probably more time consuming to produce and demand for octagonal is probably higher so win-win for handle makers. My masashi 150mm has an oval burnt chestnut, I probably prefer it over the kns ebony on my shiro kamo and any ho octagonal. I'll probably do a sweeping handle change into a custom octaval hybrid in burnt chestnut someday.

Honestly oval is probably more time consuming to produce and demand for octagonal is probably higher so win-win for handle makers. My masashi 150mm has an oval burnt chestnut, I probably prefer it over the kns ebony on my shiro kamo and any ho octagonal. I'll probably do a sweeping handle change into a custom octaval hybrid in burnt chestnut someday.

From my work experience, a well done octagonal handle takes less time than oval, d-shaped or hybrid. However, it is also requires the most precision, as the chamfering process needs to be exact.

D-shape handles are difficult to get right, easy to mess up but the most fun. Once you make a few they are addictive.

Hybrids are more time consuming than octagonal, but slightly less prone to errors.

Ovals are hard to get perfect, takes a lot of time and not much demand.

Reactions: dsk
mo50FGM.jpg

Nice balde and cut!

Regarding handles, I personally feel that there's a lot of over thinking. My preference is the stock ho-wood handles that come with the knife—even over some nicer custom handles I've used. D, oval, oct, doesn't matter to me, love the feel of ho wood—gimme a cheap ho over a pretty custom any day. The stock octa handle that came with my CC Maz is very good.

7A883254-D1CD-4D77-BD7E-46A2F1526018.jpeg
Regarding handles, I personally feel that there's a lot of over thinking. My preference is the stock ho-wood handles that come with the knife—even over some nicer custom handles I've used. D, oval, oct, doesn't matter to me, love the feel of ho wood—gimme a cheap ho over a pretty custom any day. The stock octa handle that came with my CC Maz is very good.
I agree. I’ll pay a little more for rosewood for the balancing and hygiene aspect. But, agree have gotten a bit over the top.
All these handles came with the knives and all are awesome in their own way.

View attachment 55540
I agree. I’ll pay a little more for rosewood for the balancing and hygiene aspect. But, agree have gotten a bit over the top.
All these handles came with the knives and all are awesome in their own way.

When I got my Watanabe, I did upgrade to his keyaki wood handle, it's one of my faves. Also really like the burnt chestnut tat came with my kochi. I do like the everymans aesthetic of a cheap ho.

When I got my Watanabe, I did upgrade to his keyaki wood handle, it's one of my faves. Also really like the burnt chestnut tat came with my kochi. I do like the everymans aesthetic of a cheap ho.

Chicagohawkie >>> Never had a rosewood handle, is the feeling like ebony?

Chicagohawkie >>> Never had a rosewood handle, is the feeling like ebony?

There’s a wide variety of Rosewoods, even ebonies, but there are general characteristics of each. Rosewoods tend to be a bit lighter, a bit softer with a natural feel to them. Ebonies are harder, denser and more of a regal confident feel.

As both have high natural oils; you can have a nice natural luster and they both are very resistant to rot. These characteristics make them good candidates for handles.

Some variety of ebony have a greater chance is splitting with time, especially if the wood is not seasoned well. For that reason, some handle makers shy away from using it, going for something like African Blackwood (a dark rosewood)

I think the use of ho wood for handles is due to some characteristics such as light weight, durability and rot resistance. Just as important, if not more so is cost and availability. From my understanding, there is a bit of a crisis of available wood in Japan for handle making right now. I’ve even been asked once to ship rosewood to a Japanese handle maker, which is against regulations.

Different regions tend to use the same concepts in choosing handle materials, like in the US which traditionally used woods like walnuts and cherries.

As long as you are happy with the handle, then it’s awesome.

Last edited:
Thinking of getting the Mazaki 180mm petty that’s currently on JNS. Would be interested to hear any views on it - profile, grind etc.
Thanks in advance. Cheers!

You should get one while it is still available. Best petty i’ve ever had. More like laser at the half end. Very thin behind the edge.

Attachments

• 45B43B5F-7215-4E4F-AD21-A0F08C425335.jpeg
    45B43B5F-7215-4E4F-AD21-A0F08C425335.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 112
Back