mazaki knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So of the available 240’s right now. Who does everyone think I should buy from? CC, yoshi or k&s?

edit: this will be my first maz

So of the available 240’s right now. Who does everyone think I should buy from? CC, yoshi or k&s?

I’ve used OG cleancuts that are all the rave and I prefer the new CKC Mazakis, I’m assuming the Yoshihiro ones are similar so that’s what I would go with.
But everyone is different...the cleancuts might be lighter.

Or maybe I’ll just throw up a WTB, I know most of you have like six each :D

I went over to the Yoshi store (in Beverly Hills) and he was kind enough to let me fondle them. They’re great, they are likely the same batch as the CKC ones that I’ve seen/held. Buy with confidence. Maz’s are really consistent- from batch to batch. And they’re seemingly getting closer to an ultimate style, from all that I’ve seen, bought, borrowed from the 1st gen to now, I’m seeing a unification overall. Either way, they’re all performers and a great value no matter where they come from. (Except for that one weird batch that jns peddled a while back between gens 2 & 3 with the pippy longstocking nose)

I went over to the Yoshi store (in Beverly Hills) and he was kind enough to let me fondle them. They’re great, they are likely the same batch as the CKC ones that I’ve seen/held. Buy with confidence. Maz’s are really consistent- from batch to batch. And they’re seemingly getting closer to an ultimate style, from all that I’ve seen, bought, borrowed from the 1st gen to now, I’m seeing a unification overall. Either way, they’re all performers and a great value no matter where they come from. (Except for that one weird batch that jns peddled a while back between gens 2 & 3 with the pippy longstocking nose)

I ended up getting the K&S. just cause I preferred, for this knife, the non KU. Like Ashy said it was James words on the 2020's that sealed the deal for me, although i have no doubt that the Yoshi's are top notch. I'll update when the knife comes in.

Yo I still enjoy my last jns batch maz. Mine doesnt seem nearly as exaggerated on the tip upsweep as some peoples. The one 210mm on bst is nuts

I ended up getting the K&S. just cause I preferred, for this knife, the non KU. Like Ashy said it was James words on the 2020's that sealed the deal for me, although i have no doubt that the Yoshi's are top notch. I'll update when the knife comes in.

You’re gonna be amazed. It should be noted though- the migaki and the ku are almost a completely different species. The ku feels more robust & sturdy, while the migaki has an almost finesse vibe, and I mean in the best way for both. Not to be the devil’s advocate here, but you’re really gonna need both after your first taste [emoji12]....

Yo I still enjoy my last jns batch maz. Mine doesnt seem nearly as exaggerated on the tip upsweep as some peoples. The one 210mm on bst is nuts

Yeah some of those were just odd. But as I said before- like em or not, they’re all great performers. Some just fell off the ugly tree[emoji1].

Hope for a little insight on this one. I picked up this Yoshi Mazaki 3rd hand from the large sell off of the collector in CA that passed away. For those who don’t know the story, a person won an auction of a storage box which contained about 100 high end knives.

This particular one does not have the typical Mazaki signature, but is part of the Yoshi Mazaki series. I am thinking it is an older model, but would like to hear what others think.

Attachments

• A8098DFC-FBBF-4C24-B1E8-776898B8B034.jpeg
    A8098DFC-FBBF-4C24-B1E8-776898B8B034.jpeg
    257.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 4E01E2C5-163C-491B-89EA-0D82A9050D85.jpeg
    4E01E2C5-163C-491B-89EA-0D82A9050D85.jpeg
    254.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 5475F5E8-51AF-4409-A396-C6EFA9002ED5.jpeg
    5475F5E8-51AF-4409-A396-C6EFA9002ED5.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 128
  • F9381EC9-2BED-430E-AC26-85BA4FCBEEE0.jpeg
    F9381EC9-2BED-430E-AC26-85BA4FCBEEE0.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 128
  • D258C113-1E98-4D02-BA59-A376958D17C9.jpeg
    D258C113-1E98-4D02-BA59-A376958D17C9.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 127
Hope for a little insight on this one. I picked up this Yoshi Mazaki 3rd hand from the large sell off of the collector in CA that passed away. For those who don’t know the story, a person won an auction of a storage box which contained about 100 high end knives.

This particular one does not have the typical Mazaki signature, but is part of the Yoshi Mazaki series. I am thinking it is an older model, but would like to hear what others think.

Ohhh I need to hear more about the box

Ohhh I need to hear more about the box

I don’t have much info and don’t wish to hijack this thread, but I got a couple from eBay and a few direct from the seller. I thought it was his collection, but he was just lucky as hell (Yeah, we all wish we were there)

Some of those made it to the flipping alert thread about some Shigs in January. I picked up a few including this Mazaki, a Shig KU santoku, Kato WH, sukenari k-tip and a Saji rainbow gyuto. Been enjoying all of them.

Last edited:

Looks like one of the earlier batcher, with a more santoku-ish profile. He transitioned away from that profile pretty quickly, but I know some people on here would pay extra to get one of those in KU. ;)

Last edited:
Looks like one of the earlier batcher, with a more santoku-ish profile. He changed away from that profile pretty quickly, but I know some people on here would pay extra to get one of those in KU. ;)

I’d agree. Looks like the first gen ku nash from a couple years ago. Good find. I had one but it was one of the duds with a bum heat treat sadly. I have the kns one from James’ first batch of 2, and it is a beast.

Latest posts

Back