mazaki knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think the ootb edge will be a zero grind, there is likely a bevel there although it should be rather small.
I just wasn't able to see the bevel so it probably is really tiny. I don't know how these sharpeners make it so small since the videos of japanese bladesmiths usually show them sharpening by hand.

I just wasn't able to see the bevel so it probably is really tiny. I don't know how these sharpeners make it so small since the videos of japanese bladesmiths usually show them sharpening by hand.

The blade will be very thin and flat ground before they sharpen it, so it's possible to put on a very very small bevel, it doesn't take much time at all.

Tbh my mazaki ootb edges were not that good and I just sharpened them anyway.

Agreed, my mazaki couldn't push cut paper ootb. After stropping with the leather belt and white crayon, it was able to go through the paper pretty smoothly and I haven't felt the need to sharpen. Now I just want it to cut like a Takamura R2 on the tip. :)

B195EE54-08D3-4382-B4BB-EF38B8F4078C.jpeg

222A2311-2E61-4A15-AC32-89FA34ECD183.jpeg

D852094B-9256-467A-A89D-0B7161E2FA25.jpeg

48021D09-735E-4AC4-91C0-351E6D73B445.jpeg

Last edited:
Agreed, my mazaki couldn't push cut paper ootb. After stropping with the leather belt and white crayon, it was able to go through the paper pretty smoothly and I haven't felt the need to sharpen. Now I just want it to cut like a Takamura R2 on the tip. :)
Both of the blues that i got came swingin OOTB, really nice edges.

I’m good with what I’ve got, just a home user. I wouldn’t know about the blue or dammy steels. But at the price points I’ve seen, especially the Damascus. I would have zero interest.
It was a struggle for me as well, but I look at them the way I used to look at yo shigs- legacy knives. I passed on a couple shigs back in the day that were sub 1k and I kick myself. They’re only getting more expensive. Like buying Bitcoin, it’s going to 100k, this is a fact. So buy now cry later 😂

I printed the pdf of the Dec 2020 profile and compared it to my Nov 2020 blade and it looks different to me. Anyone think otherwise?
Mazaki Nov 2020 comparison.jpg

I measured the dimensions vs values printed on the file - while the vertical was close (2 1/16 inches), the horizontal is exactly 9 inches even though the text file says 240mm. Hopefully my browser didn't alter the aspect ratio.

I printed the pdf of the Dec 2020 profile and compared it to my Nov 2020 blade and it looks different to me. Anyone think otherwise?
View attachment 111199
I measured the dimensions vs values printed on the file - while the vertical was close (2 1/16 inches), the horizontal is exactly 9 inches even though the text file says 240mm. Hopefully my browser didn't alter the aspect ratio.
I think is different, the Dec batch has more pointing tip liked the KS

I went to carbon last month and spent way to long deciding between this and the SKD Yoshi. How's this guy as a performer?

My call was because of the reactive cladding (for my taste) but I'm still really curious about how this model moves through food.

just spend hours trying to polish out Mazaki's deep scratches and when you do the reactivity of the cladding calms down a lot

or at least it did on my example. I also brought the bevels on mine up quite a bit higher so the knife is halfway between where it started and full convex lol. looks kinda janky but cuts like an absolute demon.

Really starting to like the current Mazaki offerings. That thing really looks like a vegetable weapon of mass (or Maz) distruction. Looks so good in these pics.

Early in this thread, when JNS introduced Mazaki knives I mentioned I need to sit out because every batch was so different and the dude was still clearly in development phases trying find his groove.

To me these look like he found it. That grind and profile looks just so effective. First Mazaki I'm getting drawn to.

If I’m going to get a full reactive carbon knife, this KS Mazaki is the one I’m going to get

I went to carbon last month and spent way to long deciding between this and the SKD Yoshi. How's this guy as a performer?

My call was because of the reactive cladding (for my taste) but I'm still really curious about how this model moves through food.

I haven’t had a chance to really use it. I’ve picked up too many knives recently and I’ve been primarily using one knife to really focus on improving my sharpening technique. I’ll report back when I’ve had a chance to put it through its’ paces.

just spend hours trying to polish out Mazaki's deep scratches and when you do the reactivity of the cladding calms down a lot

or at least it did on my example. I also brought the bevels on mine up quite a bit higher so the knife is halfway between where it started and full convex lol. looks kinda janky but cuts like an absolute demon.
Thank you, sounds like with a little tuning, it.can be quite good.

I still can't decide if Mizuno or Mazaki has more reactive cladding. Want to love both but that always makes me pause.

My Mazaki isn't very reactive at all, and this is coming from a guy who once woved never to buy any carbon clad knives again (after being annoyed with my Kagekiyos reactivity).

I have a couple. They were pretty reactive at first -- and now, after polishing -- but they settle(d) down quickly. Once they take a patina, no worries, though I'm a home cook.

Back