mazaki knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here’s a look at a couple 180s in Aogami 2

65CAFBA4-2441-4787-9717-8C3570A6C475.jpeg
CD038392-A79F-491A-AAEE-2F8368DDA1C9.jpeg
3444656A-05F5-4780-96D3-C9C388DFAAF0.jpeg

Attachments

• 722AA46B-2251-442B-A569-1CD44BA20AD6.jpeg
    722AA46B-2251-442B-A569-1CD44BA20AD6.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 17
  • 937BF053-C56D-4082-AEE7-1D6FA13B1E3F.jpeg
    937BF053-C56D-4082-AEE7-1D6FA13B1E3F.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 18
  • B0F3D904-897B-4FEA-976E-27FC88DB0340.jpeg
    B0F3D904-897B-4FEA-976E-27FC88DB0340.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 16
Alright… or, sorry… Can we map out the Maz progression?
How many generations are there (~what’s the timeline)? Characteristics? What are differences between vendors?

Is this a rough sketch? Or am I way off?
1.0, JNS bullnose, charcoal quench, (few reports of bizarre HT)
2.0, Pointy version, no more charcoal quench, more vendors
3.0, Maz at multiple vendors, distal taper differs (inconsistent?), HT consistent
4.0, Knives and Stones new profile

Am I wrong w/ characteristics/timeline? I feel like I missed a multiple iterations…

I’ve got one Maz (initial version from JNS, bullnose, bought on sale since it was rusted). Other than that, I’ve stayed off the train. That’s my only experience with Maz. I’ve been holding off this whole time because profile/etc. seemed to constantly be changing. Maybe still is. Now that Maz seem to be regulars on BST, I need to finally figure out what the differences are…

even the most recent KNS version looks slightly different than the one I got late last year @McMan they seem to get flatter each time.

I decided not to get one out of the latest batch even though I would like a new Ku with a black horn instead of the blond one I have and tbh I kind of regret that.

I think bullnose was the first batch and charcoal quench with a pointier profile was the second or third. The stainless, which afaik was the only stainless batch, had a bullnose profile and came out in the middle of the first few batches at JNS. I also think there were some kurouchi and migaki batches at Cleancut and KnS and maybe Carbon with a more typical Sanjo gyuto profile before the pointier, tall KS looking ones.

Then there was the Henckels profile batch at JNS before the pointy one and the less said about that the better.

Maybe @preizzo or someone could write a history like @Omega did with Fujiyama? I'm about half joking here :p

I think bullnose was the first batch and charcoal quench with a pointier profile was the second or third. The stainless, which afaik was the only stainless batch, had a bullnose profile and came out in the middle of the first few batches at JNS. I also think there were some kurouchi and migaki batches at Cleancut and KnS and maybe Carbon with a more typical Sanjo gyuto profile before the pointier, tall KS looking ones.

Then there was the Henckels profile batch at JNS before the pointy one and the less said about that the better.

Maybe @preizzo or someone could write a history like @Omega did with Fujiyama? I'm about half joking here :p

Jns first mazaki ever was bullnose with wide bevel , almost like a heiji
Jns second generation had the same profile but different grind and a bit more of distal taper
Ginsanko line from jns , clean cut bullnose ,razor sharp kurouchi line ,cktg kurouchi and migaki line
Generation 3 from jns ,more pointy and thinner at the spine (almost like KS )
New line from cleancut and also k&s start to sell them (same knives for both vendor )
New kurouchi line from yoshihiro , clean cut ,k&s,HK
Jns BBQ blade with higher tip
Craig migaki and kurouchi same as clean cut (thick spine out the handle and not so dramatic taper )
Damascus,him Sanmai etc...
10 more different vendor are carrying mazaki
New year and new profile 😂🤌🤌🤌🤌🤌🤌🤌

Jns first mazaki ever was bullnose with wide bevel , almost like a heiji
Jns second generation had the same profile but different grind and a bit more of distal taper
Ginsanko line from jns , clean cut bullnose ,razor sharp kurouchi line ,cktg kurouchi and migaki line
Generation 3 from jns ,more pointy and thinner at the spine (almost like KS )
New line from cleancut and also k&s start to sell them (same knives for both vendor )
New kurouchi line from yoshihiro , clean cut ,k&s,HK
Jns BBQ blade with higher tip
Craig migaki and kurouchi same as clean cut (thick spine out the handle and not so dramatic taper )
Damascus,him Sanmai etc...
10 more different vendor are carrying mazaki
New year and new profile 😂🤌🤌🤌🤌🤌🤌🤌
There may be some more variation to mention like the single bevel stainlessl and carbon ,the special petty with high tip ,the big nakiri and santoku etc....

There may be some more variation to mention like the single bevel stainlessl and carbon ,the special petty with high tip ,the big nakiri and santoku etc....
Over 3 years and I had the chance to try all of the different shapes and grind and finishes except for the ****ing ginsanko gyuto that i am still looking to buy since two years ago 😂😂😂
I roughly went through 80/90 mazakis over this time

Over 3 years and I had the chance to try all of the different shapes and grind and finishes except for the ****ing ginsanko gyuto that i am still looking to buy since two years ago 😂😂😂
I roughly went through 80/90 mazakis over this time

Sooo. Which 'version' is your favourite?

Back