Michael's Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, what kind of knife is that in post #28 in this thread? What is it used for? Haven't seen that one before...

It is a single bevel kogatana. Historically it is what samurai would stick inside their katana sheith and use as a utility knife (cutting small things including food). It really is just a small utility knife that can be used on whatever you feel like now =)

kogatana%20in%20saya%202.jpg

It is a single bevel kogatana. Historically it is what samurai would stick inside their katana sheith and use as a utility knife (cutting small things including food). It really is just a small utility knife that can be used on whatever you feel like now =)

kogatana%20in%20saya%202.jpg

;)

Shigefusa Kurouchi 210mm Nakiri
Edge Length: 210mm
Height: 58mm
Handle Length: 145mm
Weight: 245g
Balance Point at 60mm in front of the heel

ihh8IsC.jpg

Yeah, the larger one looks like it could be handy. I have one 180 nakiri and had another before, but figured 1 was enough. Is there lacquer on the KU bits?

Yeah, the larger one looks like it could be handy. I have one 180 nakiri and had another before, but figured 1 was enough. Is there lacquer on the KU bits?

They just have what I think is a light layer of tsubaki oil on them.

This knife definitely feels like a fun knife to have around =)

They just have what I think is a light layer of tsubaki oil on them. This knife definitely feels like a fun knife to have around =)

Yeah, I guess in part without any tip to speak of (to gouge your flesh with or, much worse, to chip) you barely have to pay attention when using them. However, then in a way they seem too easy to use, and I like to pay attention. Maybe good for cutting if you have people and commotion around, which in my case would be my little daughter but she's trained to keep a distance.

Sad my wife's never got into using one. I'd have great reason to have to purchase a 2nd or 3rd 'for her use'

Where'd you find a 210 nakiri, That's be a great knife to use? Expect an email at some point in the next couple of days.

I got the single one that JWW had. I probably shouldn't complain as import fees in most other countries are worse and shipping costs more, but shipping + taxes cost me about $40 on this knife.

I think this is going to be one of my favorite Shigs, I've acquired thus far (will definitely be used in the kitchen).

I got the single one that JWW had. I probably shouldn't complain as import fees in most other countries are worse and shipping costs more, but shipping + taxes cost me about $40 on this knife.

I think this is going to be one of my favorite Shigs, I've acquired thus far (will definitely be used in the kitchen).

It's definitely a unique one, I haven't seen other than 165 or 180

Just got this mukimono in the mail. Easily one of my favorite Shigefusa purchases.

XDgfkLS.jpg

Congrats with the knife, I look forward to purchase it during your big, upcoming Shig sale! ;-)

Older bigger brother with new smaller younger (newer) brother.

Kitaeji 300mm NOS Yanagiba
Kitaeji 210mm Yanagiba

zYNtAZ8.jpg

Older bigger brother with new smaller younger (newer) brother.

Kitaeji 300mm NOS Yanagiba
Kitaeji 210mm Yanagiba

I guess you are still missing the 240 and 270 siblings, or are those from a different marriage?

I guess you are still missing the 240 and 270 siblings, or are those from a different marriage?

Hahhaha, I'm breaking up the family this weekend anyways so I'm going to just keep the oldest and the youngest =p

Final count of Shigs I'm selling (one to you, will PM you about it later as I'm running out of the house) is 2 Kasumis, 3 Kitaejis, 5 KUs =)

Back