Michael's Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great idea. How'd you arrange it?

At Bernal Cutlery one of the guys has worked in Japanese kitchens for a long time and a native of Tokyo. Doing a Japanese vegetable prep course with him June 13th =)

I think it's hard to generalise about which stone type/origin is 'best' with whatever knife, but curious to know what your one Shig keeper is

Same here, interested to know which on.

Is it time to take new family photo? =) maybe even show all your knives together?

Is it time to take new family photo? =) maybe even show all your knives together?

I've got a couple more coming (hopefully) and then thinning the herd a bit. Will snap a new family photo after that =)

In lieu of the family photo - waiting on two more Yo-handles

JAWLeather Small Knife Roll:
  • 240mm Shigefusa Sujihiki
  • 210mm Shigefusa Yo-handle Gyuto
  • 170mm Itinomonn Butcher
Behind the fold:
  • 300mm Shigefusa Yanagiba
  • 180mm Kato Workhorse Petty

3RhVvgQ.jpg

In lieu of the family photo - waiting on two more Yo-handles

JAWLeather Small Knife Roll:
  • 240mm Shigefusa Sujihiki
  • 210mm Shigefusa Yo-handle Gyuto
  • 170mm Itinomonn Butcher
Behind the fold:
  • 300mm Shigefusa Yanagiba
  • 180mm Kato Workhorse Petty

3RhVvgQ.jpg

I kinda miss my JAW roll. He does really excellent work.

I'm shocked that the 300mm Shig fits like that. My 270mm Suiji makes the canvas stick out far more than yours.

I'm shocked that the 300mm Shig fits like that. My 270mm Suiji makes the canvas stick out far more than yours.

I had asked Jonathon to make the roll able to handle a 300-320mm knife with a saya - he added about 2-3 inches onto the roll.

If I was to do it again I'd probably add him to add another pocket on the left hand side also, but overall I'm SUPER happy with the case =)

The leather he uses is absolutely beautiful and the workmanship is top notch.

Agreed. I also asked him to modify mine for length, as well as changing the lining to black canvas. He was very accommodating in both regards, and very easy to work with. Great guy all around.

Hi Asteger,

Currently from my 4 suitas, the ones matching my shigs are an Ohiro Suita and an Okudo renge suita (with nagura).

:)

I have some 3 more finishers but haven't fully experiment with them, I think I will give it a try tomorrow with my Nakayama Karasu.

Great idea. How'd you arrange it?

I think it's hard to generalise about which stone type/origin is 'best' with whatever knife, but curious to know what your one Shig keeper is

You are tempting me to get an Ohira Suita now...did you get yours from JNS?

Hi Asteger,

Currently from my 4 suitas, the ones matching my shigs are an Ohiro Suita and an Okudo renge suita (with nagura).

:)

I have some 3 more finishers but haven't fully experiment with them, I think I will give it a try tomorrow with my Nakayama Karasu.

What, you have a pile of Shigs and no Ohira Suita? Didn't anyone tell you it is mandatory for Shig owners?
It's ok. There's still time.
Now go and get one! A 3.5 from JNS is a great choice :)

+1

The ohira suita from Maksim is one of my fave stones!

Did you also go with a lv3.5 hardness?
Yea I have the lv 3.5 but it was from a small batch a few months ago. Its very nice and was cheaper because two of the corners are chopped off

I use it for some of my knives after a red aito, but most of the time I stop at the red aotot because I like it real toothty

The ohira I have is also from Makism. A full size koppa (meaning isn't that thick). :) I bought it initially when I was at Maksim's place 2 years ago and I tried it with my Hiromoto. The stone is 3.5 and produce a very nice slurry. 3.5 isn't aggressive and it is nice. I don't use any nagura with it. The stone you put on the link is one I would like to try.

I am considering to buy one or two more stones while there, but this time I will test them to my Shigs - I will sell two maybe 3 stones though.

I would have loved a full size koppa, I never feel the need for a full size stone and I am quit short so thin stones actually make it easier for me to sharpen.

If you visit him again and see an Ohiro Suita you know who to talk to =p

You are tempting me to get an Ohira Suita now...did you get yours from JNS?
I've got a lvl3.5 Ohira Suita originally from JNS and it leaves a really nice edge on my Shig's....also pretty much everything else too.

Quick picture with terrible lighting because I'm really excited about this blade.

Yosihide Yo-handle 150mm petty arrived today - thought it was fitting gyuto (father) with petty (son).

bAu0NNp.jpg

Quick picture with terrible lighting because I'm really excited about this blade.

Yosihide Yo-handle 150mm petty arrived today - thought it was fitting gyuto (father) with petty (son).

bAu0NNp.jpg

I already miss that little sweetie. One of the nicest knives I've yet to own.

The handle on that thing is AMAZING, it both looks great and feels awesome. The picture definitely doesn't catch the grain of the wood.

I already miss that little sweetie. One of the nicest knives I've yet to own.

The shorties of the family reunited.

165mm Kitaeji Mukimono
210mm Kitaeji Yanagiba

4FAfAkB.jpg

That mukimono is mind boogling. Definatly one of the sexier shigs

Back