Michael's Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couldn't help myself - sneak peak of the family shot to come.

110% stole this idea from Zweber12. Hope he forgives me (though I am selling him a knife hahaah)

The family:
QAiEzBL.jpg

s7RoLSo.jpg

The family + red headed stepchildren:
4gDdX5Z.jpg

2Kmmnu7.jpg

The arms race starts! Unfortunately I've got five kitaeji's missing in action.

Oh boy. Thanks for showing, but this rather much :dazed:

I'm selling 10 of these knives, 5 are spoken for and the other 5 I will put on the BST next week =)
Actually you are pretty darn smart. You can always get your money back and you can see which ones you like best and keep them.

Actually you are pretty darn smart. You can always get your money back and you can see which ones you like best and keep them.

One of the reasons I dug into Shigs so much was one I wanted to learn more about what I liked and two I wouldn't lose much or any on the resale.

The liking part comes down a lot to the profile and type of knife almost more so than the performance as all the Shigs I have, I feel perform very similarly. Where they feel different is the differences in weight/balance/profile. I learned a lot through this process about what lengths, heel height, tip/profile I like.

Even the two 210mm Gyutos I have are quite different, ~20g, 4mm heel height, and 7.5mm length, the handle is also about 7.5mm different =)

I've always been conservative with knife buying, but have used the same logic with natural stones although in the end I end losing about 1/3 of the value in the process. Yes, it can be fun.

However, Mike, it seems you've just got all these in the past few months, your Shig-explosion. With fewer knives around, meaning that I probably also use each more than you would yours, to me it still feels I need time to really know some knives - several months, for eg. Sure you can test and critique them quickly, but after that often I still feel I need time to decide. I think preferences can change, too. In the same way, it also takes me a while to BST nat stones.

The ones that are staying with me, all the other ones are being sold/have sold.

GQoLX82.jpg

KUs
kHvnDt3r.jpg

Kasumi and Kitaeji Double Bevels
myLCy6o.jpg

Kasumi and Kitaeji Single Bevels
ZFBjnfG.jpg

I suck at golf, but I do driving range really well.

Well my golf partner like to swing his club to get that swoosh noise - then he steps up to the tee and shanks his ball ;-) Just remember that at the end of the round, the bar is open!

My intro session is a qt of mire poix or trinity. From there I'm loving it, liking it or hating it.

First knife that came with a kiri-box. Definitely was a surprise when the knife arrived, extra surprised when I unwrapped it to find the kiri box, and even more surprised to find a saya inside the kiri box as well.

O8M2kCa.jpg

0YtprWt.jpg

0NKQvIp.jpg

Back