Munetoshi = Yes. Hinoura Ajikataya = ???

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleHomeCook

Embrace your knifesculinity!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alrighty, so I'm loving the Sanjo knives and my new Munetoshi is very much turning me on.

So, just curious about your thoughts of adding the Hinoura? How does it compare to the Munetoshi?

Even if it is very similar, I'm okay with that and may target one on a "just cuz" basis but always appreciate what you folks have to share.

:)

Last edited:
Hinoura doesn't have as aggressive of a taper as munetoshi, and the profile is more curvy. I'd say it's also a bit thicker as far as wedging is concerned, but overall similar. The munetoshi grind is not as consistent, with more hollow parts that can be found in the grind than on hinoura, but I don't think it's purposely ground to be concave. And the kurouchi on the munetoshi comes off really ez, while the hinoura ku feels pretty durable. So while they may share a few similarities, I certainly wouldn't mistake one for the other.

Hinoura doesn't have as aggressive of a taper as munetoshi, and the profile is more curvy. I'd say it's also a bit thicker as far as wedging is concerned, but overall similar. The munetoshi grind is not as consistent, with more hollow parts that can be found in the grind than on hinoura, but I don't think it's purposely ground to be concave. And the kurouchi on the munetoshi comes off really ez, while the hinoura ku feels pretty durable. So while they may share a few similarities, I certainly wouldn't mistake one for the other.

And day-in-day-out, your hand reaches out and these are the only two knives you can grab, your fingers wrap around the...?

And day-in-day-out, your hand reaches out and these are the only two knives you can grab, your fingers wrap around the...?
lets complicate things!

watanabe! no, but seriously. of the sanjo knives ive tried so far (yoshi/wakui/munetoshi/hinoura/masashi) watoyama is where its @. love my 2 wats.

I've had maybe 3 hinouras and 3 munetoshi. The 210mm hammered hinoura with burnt chestnut oval handle I had is still one of the most comfortable for my hand. So that would be my pick for that reason. However I tend to reach for thinner behind the edge knives, and have sold or given away my hinouras and munetoshi with the exception of my mune butcher.

For polishing I would also prefer the hinoura because I think they look great with a clean finish.

Munetoshi is still an awesome value for the price. Hinoura has gotten quite expensive recently and I'm not sure it's worth it at its current price with ho wood handle.

So to answer your question, if I were to buy a new one, munetoshi. If I had both and had to keep only one, hinoura.

I've had maybe 3 hinouras and 3 munetoshi. The 210mm hammered hinoura with burnt chestnut oval handle I had is still one of the most comfortable for my hand. So that would be my pick for that reason. However I tend to reach for thinner behind the edge knives, and have sold or given away my hinouras and munetoshi with the exception of my mune butcher.

For polishing I would also prefer the hinoura because I think they look great with a clean finish.

Munetoshi is still an awesome value for the price. Hinoura has gotten quite expensive recently and I'm not sure it's worth it at its current price with ho wood handle.

So to answer your question, if I were to buy a new one, munetoshi. If I had both and had to keep only one, hinoura.

Thank you.

I don't have any experience with a Hinoura but I've tried a Konosuke MB made by Hinoura and its a very fine cutter, went through medium carrots without much wedging.
That wouldn’t surprise me. I’d expect konosuke to put out thinner blades with less wedging. Other Hinouras have felt closer to what heiji does, which depending on your preference this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Last edited:
A little surprised nobody has mentioned Mazaki so far. Still a solid Sanjo knife option IMO. Nice distal taper and usually thin grind. Very comfortable to hold (not as comfortable as a Kato but getting close). Feels better than Hinoura for my hand. My Hinoura’s choil needed rounding (for a right hand), but Mazaki feels good out of the box. I really appreciate the wide and thick neck. I think at least for $300 the kurochi/nashiji white 2 version is still very good.

A little surprised nobody has mentioned Mazaki so far. Still a solid Sanjo knife option IMO. Nice distal taper and usually thin grind. Very comfortable to hold (not as comfortable as a Kato but getting close). Feels better than Hinoura for my hand. My Hinoura’s choil needed rounding (for a right hand), but Mazaki feels good out of the box. I really appreciate the wide and thick neck. I think at least for $300 the kurochi/nashiji white 2 version is still very good.

My issue with the current Mazaki offerings is the spear point type tip. I don't own one but the profile has kept me away from them too.

With Wakui the Migaki grind is more Yoshikane-ish I believe. One I had for sure was very similar and laser-ish.

xx.jpg

I prefer the thicker wide bevel I got with the KU-Nash. I think you'd also likely find something more like it with his W#2 Nashiji line.

139411-007-WakChoilG21.jpg

I also experienced wedging with the Hinoura (Hito Hinode) I tried. Nothing much with the Wakui. Very nice OOTB, awesome with a smidge of thinning.

I'd vouch for this one over any Hinoura if you want the more wide bevel, not-Yoshikane-ish experience

Back