My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wrought iron and Hitachi blue #1 vs steak?!?

fpGZiVK.jpg
ppuYF8Z.jpg

Well, as a newcomer to the knife scene and a veggie, it seems that I have to settle for less intense colors. Nonetheless, some funky coloring is appearing on the Blue Super:

IMG_3378c by Rattle Cattle, on Flickr

In case anyone is alarmed, the reddish places are not rusty . :angel2: I worked through some 400g of fresh turmeric root, and this stuff will color everything in an orange hue.

I posted this a while ago but I think the link was broken. Patina from assorted veggies on 210 Toyama.

d0yl1x4.jpg

This looks awesome man. I've wanted to order a Toyama for awhile, 210's are out of stock though. Do they have a lot of belly, or are they relatively flat?

This looks awesome man. I've wanted to order a Toyama for awhile, 210's are out of stock though. Do they have a lot of belly, or are they relatively flat?

If you've ever tried a Watanabe they have nearly identical profiles.

If you've ever tried a Watanabe they have nearly identical profiles.

Sadly I have not, though I came very close to buying a Watanabe Nakiri years ago but I found a Shig on the B/S/T on here and got that instead. From pictures I'm always confused on those as well though, If they have a nice flat spot with a gently sweep, or just basically a lot of belly?

Sadly I have not, though I came very close to buying a Watanabe Nakiri years ago but I found a Shig on the B/S/T on here and got that instead. From pictures I'm always confused on those as well though, If they have a nice flat spot with a gently sweep, or just basically a lot of belly?

I would characterize the profile as having a pretty long flat section toward the heel with a gentle sweep upward toward the tip. Not a lot of belly but the tip is high enough to do some rock chopping if desired. The profiles make a lot of sense. I'd recommend either one. Kind of tough to explain in writing but I hope that helps you out.

I would characterize the profile as having a pretty long flat section toward the heel with a gentle sweep upward toward the tip. Not a lot of belly but the tip is high enough to do some rock chopping if desired. The profiles make a lot of sense. I'd recommend either one. Kind of tough to explain in writing but I hope that helps you out.

Yes, that definitely helps, thanks man.

My nicest knife! Order took 2.5 years. I still thinned it way down, I'm a laser guy it seems.

Sorry, only saw your post now. I would second what tripleq said and add that the flat section is not 100% flat - it’s almost flat, with a tiny bit of belly. IMHO this profile is a winner - the “flat” section is flat enough to chop, yet it’s subtle curviness makes it useful for rocking as well. And the tip is awesome - don’t be fooled by the stubby nose, it gets super thin and flies through anything. I love this knife.

Sorry, only saw your post now. I would second what tripleq said and add that the flat section is not 100% flat - it’s almost flat, with a tiny bit of belly. IMHO this profile is a winner - the “flat” section is flat enough to chop, yet it’s subtle curviness makes it useful for rocking as well. And the tip is awesome - don’t be fooled by the stubby nose, it gets super thin and flies through anything. I love this knife.

Thanks for the response. I'm super tempted to grab one. They have pretty good heft as well, correct?

Thanks for the response. I'm super tempted to grab one. They have pretty good heft as well, correct?

Yes, the weight (175g on mine), blade height (50 mm) and spine thickness all give it a hefty, sturdy feeling. But it’s not too extreme, it actually feels really well balanced (balance point is right on the pinch grip) and nimble enough to use for long prep.

They are in stock at JNS now, btw!

For best pics see Matus' knifemaking blog, it was an early days rehandle job. I've since taken about 2cm off the bottom to shorten it. Little in-hand demon!

Back