My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Sakai Jikko Akatsuki (暁, "Dawn") Gyuto 240mm also develop similar patina as your Akebono

3mq6rVb.jpg

gcF0eRb.jpg

I usually wash off the patina after the day is done, but this gold one gave me pause. Pretty neat. Camera has a hard time capturing it, but it's the best I can do.

35930143640_9019cd8538_c.jpg

35490428604_7a6d4a24f1_c.jpg

Naturally building patina on my aogami Doi.
IMG_3713.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

went to the slaughterhouse I know. lot of people from the time I was a kid. spent 4 hours talking and now have 5 five gallon jugs of blood to cure my knives. I asked them if I could go and use my knives there to cut meat and anytime I want just go. let's see the kind of patina I can get a couple of knives. I have already used gun blue not really good since the blade turns black but after washing it doesn't remains. I have used a chemical to give patina to copper and bronze but the same thing. Still have to try blood, which will be next and plantains which will also be in the near future.

Getting my first W2 blade shortly. Any advice for patina? Seems like a lot of folks do vinegar then mustard a few times. That the best bet?

Why would you do that?

Just cut some Salmon or other warm protein. Get some funky colours in there....
That's why I'm asking the experts :) So maybe no need to force and just let happen naturally? NZ king salmon happens to be my favorite food anyway. My goal is to keep the knife protected and no flavors on the food that don't belong.

Yep. Grill a steak or whatever you like. While its still warm cut it into strips ,think fajitas, just for the exposure and you have a whole new knife. I've never been a fan of forced patina they look...forced.

That's why I'm asking the experts :) So maybe no need to force and just let happen naturally? NZ king salmon happens to be my favorite food anyway. My goal is to keep the knife protected and no flavors on the food that don't belong.

It really depends on the steel as well.

Protein Patina is the most beautiful, but it will develop over time anyway. Unless you cut tons of onions and tomato with a virgin carbon knife, you shouldn't have major issues IMHO.

Just give it a try, you can always remove a Patina if you don't like it.

When I cut fresh salmon for the first time I just let the knife sit on the board for a good 15 minutes with all the fatty goodness on it. I don't think you can ruin a carbon knife with that even if you let it sit longer. It's not onion/water after all....

It was W2 (twice) and I got some really funky colours on it ....

This knife was getting a great patina - it's a little difficult to see from the photos, but it was developing really iridescent, swirly patterns near the edge. It was lovely to look at. Sadly all gone as of yesterday - a family member (who shall not be named) washed it and left it sitting wet. Covered in red rust when I found it, had to all be removed :curse:

Hoping the next patina is as pretty to look at as this one was becoming.. it really developed a lot of character :(

Zakuri tosagata bocho.
t0a35Cd.jpg

y5n4AZL.jpg

Sandblasted kasumi finish taken off, and I used some natural fingerstones to try and create a better one. This may be why the patina had such a pearlescent glow to it.. or maybe it was just luck.

Is there a way to get a carbon knife nice and blue other than blood?
Cut lots of oily and fatty proteins or use gunsmith blueing chemical AFAIK

Although with different steels and environmental conditions some knives never take on a blue patina but instead red-ish brown or gray, green other colors

Is there a way to get a carbon knife nice and blue other than blood?

A lot of the patina colour has to do with the steel. You can experiment with your knife and see what you get. I've gotten interesting blue results with bacon, various vinegars and oddly, I had a good blue patina once from leaving a knife unwashed for a bit after cutting a watermelon.

Back