Need a little help with a THIN 240 gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, what don't you like about their knives? I am quite happy with my 270 non-damascus zdp-189 gyuto
KCa1gC0l.jpg

I would be happy to pay 180-250 for a knife ground like this. I understand the steel is hard to work with, but in my opinion sukenari is not even competing with brands like Yoshikane, Akifusa and Ashi Hamono. The thinness behind the edge has been lacking on all the knives I've seen from them. I think compared to Henkles and Wusthof they cut ok, but for 400+ I expected more.

Have you considered thinning your own? There are so many knives out there with a minimal brushed metal look (e.g. Kono HD2, Sukenari Hairline) which are just inviting you to thin them on your belt grinder. Really easy to do too (how hard is it to hold a flat surface against a flat surface :laugh:).

If you think about it, after you've sharpened a thin knife a few times you've gone and ruined the effect you were after in the first place. You'll have to go and thin it yourself eventually if you want to keep it in good condition for moving through food with the lest amount of effort. You should factor that into your decision when buying a thin knife.

Hell, I did this one by hand when I started out experimenting (before I bought a grinder):

lhN57wa.jpg

Back