Need help finding the right gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadstar1202

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a knives enthusiast since many years (mostly pocket knives) and lately, that I'm enjoyng coocking more at home, I'm falling in love with japanese kitchen knives so I'll need your help finding the right one for me:

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Gyuto

Are you right or left handed? right handed.

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? I whould prefere japanese handle.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? around 21 cm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) No but I'd prefere stainless cladding, semi stailess steel or full stailess steel

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? Preferably under 200€ (but it could also be a little more if it woth the difference)

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? General use, anyway I would avoid using this knife to cut pieces with bones, crunchy foods or bread.

What knife, if any, are you replacing? I am not going to replace other knife

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? Pinchgrip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? I usually slice, push cut and mincing.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Pleasure of use (laserish)
Nice aesthetics
Mild Care
Good Edge Retention

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? I have synthetic, wood and bamboo.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes, I sharpen my knives with fixed angle sharpening systems / stones

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) I'm fine right now

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I'd like steels from 62hrc ahead and a laserish feeling when I cut (you know when it looks like the carrot is not even there...). I would prefere finish in order: Tsuchime, Nashiji, Kurouchi, others...
Also I would prefere a reliable name instead of rebrandings, unless it'is a great deal that bring me a better knife for less.

I found some options but I don't know about the the performance and if they whould fit my needs, hence I'm asking for your help, also I'm open to additional suggestions based on above description:

Shiro Kamo Akuma gyuto 210mm - AS with stailess cladding
akuma_gy210.jpg

Masashi Yamamoto gyuto 210mm - sld steel

Yamamoto_Hocho_SLD.jpg

Masashi Yamamoto looks even better to me. It would be 29€ out of my budget and about 50€ more than the Shiro Kamo, but I don't know how does it perform compared to the Shiro Kamo, would it be worth it? Once again, I'm open to additional suggestions

Masashi makes a great knife, and the SLD will be just about stainless, more so than the AS core on the shiro Kamo. In the 3-4 Masashis and couple Shiro Kamos I’ve had, the Masashi were more refined as far as spine/choil easing, blade finish, and burnt chestnut handles — my favorite.

Worth stretching the budget for Masashi. If it’s calling out to you, you’ll likely end up buying it down the line anyways, effectively doubling the budget. That’s the KKF way, anyhow… ha. I do think Masashi offers a lot of value and refinement for the price point.

Not sure about vendors in your locale, but it’s worth taking a look at Yoshikane’ slk or sld, and maybe Wakui (though those will be stainless-clad with reactive core steel)

Masashi makes a great knife, and the SLD will be just about stainless, more so than the AS core on the shiro Kamo. In the 3-4 Masashis and couple Shiro Kamos I’ve had, the Masashi were more refined as far as spine/choil easing, blade finish, and burnt chestnut handles — my favorite.

Worth stretching the budget for Masashi. If it’s calling out to you, you’ll likely end up buying it down the line anyways, effectively doubling the budget. That’s the KKF way, anyhow… ha. I do think Masashi offers a lot of value and refinement for the price point.

Not sure about vendors in your locale, but it’s worth taking a look at Yoshikane’ slk or sld, and maybe Wakui (though those will be stainless-clad with reactive core steel)
Thank you for your comment! I can handle carbon knives with stailess-clad, unfortunately both Yoshikane and Waui are not available in EU under 300€ as far as I can see...

Regarding above knives, I read that Shiro Kamo gyuto is quite thin so I expect it to perform close to a laser, since you got several Masashis, what about them? (I don't know if you own one by same series which would help a lot, actually I can't find any other vendor selling this series out of Dictum)

Little more heft at the spine, but very thin behind the edge with a tall grind in the few — migaki sld — I’ve had

Masashi are sold by cleancut in sweden too.
They are very affordable for blue 1 knives and stainless clad.
They have pretty flat profiles though, keep that in mind.
Have not handled these myself but they look like nakiris with a tip, sort of.
Masashi B1

Wakuis can be had at japan-messer-shop in germany for under 300 but they are V2 steel and not stainless clad. I have one and love it but they need slightly more care.
The kurouchi finish is pretty solid though and does not rust easily. Actually i did not notice any changes since i got it.
A shop in switzerland got the whole range of stainless clad Wakuis but they are expensive due to import customs.

Sukenaris are pretty much lasers and can be had in SG2 steel at meesterslijpers in the netherlands but they probably look too clean for your liking? The 210mm costs a little over 300€.

Do you know how you feel about a very flat profile vs something with a bit more belly (curve)?

I quite like Shiro Kamo's gyuto profiles and they're fairly consistent across the board.

Below is a 210 Tora from cleancut:

20221220_090828.jpg

The Masashi 240 I had was a lovely knife with great fit and finish but it never quite clicked with me. Obviously not the same as the K-tip you're looking at but still get the gist of the flat profile he likes on gyutos. It was very thin behind the edge and cut well. My biggest issue was the too-high tip, which you don't have.

Sg9QNEf_d (1).jpg

Masashi knives will also start thicker at the heel and drastically taper whereas a Kamo will have less distal taper. They'll both cut nicely to your tastes.

Another option is Shungo Ogata, he was a sharpener/apprentice for Shiro Kamo. Full stainless SG2 steel, tall and thin profile. Pretty laserish but not so thin as a Kobayashi or Shibata, which I find preferable.

https://www.cleancut.eu/butik/knifetype/gyuto/gyuto_ogata_takefu-3910-3911-detail

Do you know how you feel about a very flat profile vs something with a bit more belly (curve)?

I quite like Shiro Kamo's gyuto profiles and they're fairly consistent across the board.

Below is a 210 Tora from cleancut:

View attachment 242379

The Masashi 240 I had was a lovely knife with great fit and finish but it never quite clicked with me. Obviously not the same as the K-tip you're looking at but still get the gist of the flat profile he likes on gyutos. It was very thin behind the edge and cut well. My biggest issue was the too-high tip, which you don't have.

View attachment 242380

Masashi knives will also start thicker at the heel and drastically taper whereas a Kamo will have less distal taper. They'll both cut nicely to your tastes.

Another option is Shungo Ogata, he was a sharpener/apprentice for Shiro Kamo. Full stainless SG2 steel, tall and thin profile. Pretty laserish but not so thin as a Kobayashi or Shibata, which I find preferable.

https://www.cleancut.eu/butik/knifetype/gyuto/gyuto_ogata_takefu-3910-3911-detail

Thank you! The finish on your Masashi looks the same as the one I found on Dictum, is it same SLD series?

As for the belly of flat profile, it doesn't bother me that much as I don't onw many chef knives right now so I will most probably add something different in the future... but the most releavant aspects that I'm looking for with this first one is the pleasure sensation when you cut (vegetable for the most) and the look...so I'm actually trying to find a laser and if I can find one with some interesting finish on the blade it would be my perfect match.

Thank you! The finish on your Masashi looks the same as the one I found on Dictum, is it same SLD series?

As for the belly of flat profile, it doesn't bother me that much as I don't onw many chef knives right now so I will most probably add something different in the future... but the most releavant aspects that I'm looking for with this first one is the pleasure sensation when you cut (vegetable for the most) and the look...so I'm actually trying to find a laser and if I can find one with some interesting finish on the blade it would be my perfect match.
Mine was the Shirogami/White #2 steel, the SLD will have superior edge retention and is effectively stainless as long as you're remotely diligent. I've never tried it but folks here rave about SLD. Easy to sharpen but holds a better edge than carbon steels.

A tsuchime finished laserish knife that comes to mind is the Sakura line from Makoto Kurosaki in SG2 steel. You might have to go hunting for somewhere in stock though.

Another option is Makoto's Ryusei line in VG7 stainless steel. A bunch of pics below on this website so you can see thin grind, it isn't quite as thin as the Sakura, maybe a light-midweight category, but cuts wonderfully with low maintenance and long edge retention. Definitely a curved profile. It's simply gorgeous in person, though a Kasumi finish instead of tsuchime. I've got a 210 and 240 and they're great all-rounders.

https://www.meesterslijpers.nl/makoto-kurosaki-ryusei-gyuto
My 210:
20220916_100002.jpg

20221217_091115.jpg

Not to bombard I just think pictures help a bunch in decision making

Hi, thanks for your suggestion, unfortunately they are all out of stock. Also they are surely great knives but at first glance they don't look so thin as I'd like it to be...
I'm still considering Shiro Kamo Akuma and Makoto Kurosaki at moment

Hi, since they were very different in the end I got them both, these are some pictures in case someone is cheasing one of them too.

IMG20230611232756.jpg
IMG20230611232856.jpg
IMG20230611233018.jpg
IMG20230611232950.jpg
IMG20230611233044.jpg

They have both great finish but I noticed some brigther spot on the clad of the Shiro Kamo, you can easly see them in the pictures... do you know what they are? Here is another picture:
IMG20230611233129.jpg

Just wanted to add to what i wrote above:
Found a shop that has Wakui knives in shirogami stainless clad. It is in greece so no import fees.
thesharpcook
Has anyone ordered from the sharp cook (Greece) before? I noticed they have some wakuis restocked. Never heard of this website and just wanted to double check that it’s…a legit website.

Has anyone ordered from the sharp cook (Greece) before?
I haven´t but their notification emails do work at least ;-)
This shop in germany, I ordered a couple of times from, got some in but don´t know what you´re looking for:
Japan Messer Shop
Not sure they ship to the US though. IIRC some people tried to order Togashi x Tosas of them and couldn´t somehow.

This shop in switzerland has Wakui Nashijis in aogami and shirogami but they are on the very expensive side.
(for us anyway because of import taxes; not sure about US)
Wakui shirogami
Wakui aogami

Back