need help to choose a right blade!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vs3455

Reaction score
Hi .I am finally find the chef knife that i like to get
http://www.sabatier-shop.com/2460-200---8-generations-cooking-knife-10-in---200-range.html
but the problem is the steel, it said : Stainless steel, loaded with nitrogen Cryogenic Tempering: hardness HRC 60 + / -1
I am afraid its will be too hard and have the same problems as the knifes with VG-10 steel and similar and hardness 60+ hrc is that right?
Is anybody have use stainless steel knifes with hardness 60+? The riasone i asked,because i use german knifes which is softer about 56rhc and they can stand a hard job on the kitchen,i don't use it for a bones,of corse, but sometimes i can peel up ananas,cut a pice of chocolate or hard cheese,80% of job on my home kitchen i do with my chef knife.Is thet stainless knife with the hardness 60hrc can perform that job without chipping of the edge like some J knifes with vg steel and so on.Thanks.Best regards.And sorry for my english

Im sure Benuser will be around soon enough to give you his input on that knife

I've used a VG-10 nakiri before; lots of chopping and seldom light butchering. It never chipped on me, but I don't know well enough about anything to suggest if you should buy that knife or not :( ... I can tell you that this knife inparticular was very difficult to sharpen.

Looks interesting, guessing the steel is n690.

Not sure what issues you've been having with other knives, but a well heat treated knife with a geometry matched to the application should give you no issues

I can't offer anything re that specific knife and chipping. But have never heard of Sabs having a chipping problem. Are VG-10 problems with chipping something you've experienced or something you've read about?

Will suggest that a 10" knife is a lot of knife. A whole lot of knife. Most home cooks will be better served with 8".

well i feel comfortable with 10 inc as well as 9,never have 8 :laugh:.yes i read a lot about VG-10 problem with chipping if it used for hard products, that it doesn't forgive mistakes,that was the reason i stay away from the very hard steel like vg-10 60-63hrc and so on,and stick around knifes with softer steel like 57-58hrc,because it could loose sharpenes but you can put it on the steel and its ok again,without chipping of the edge.

I would be very surpriced if that Sab where prone to chip, i have done some testing on AEB-L and it hold's up good until almost 63Hrc.
Above this it shows signs of brittleness

try looking for AEB-L knife. Good HT AEB-L (13C26) steel provide fine edge, good toughness & easy to sharpening. Hardness about 58hrc~61hrc, average edge retention.

well i feel comfortable with 10 inc as well as 9,never have 8 :laugh:.yes i read a lot about VG-10 problem with chipping if it used for hard products, that it doesn't forgive mistakes,that was the reason i stay away from the very hard steel like vg-10 60-63hrc and so on,and stick around knifes with softer steel like 57-58hrc,because it could loose sharpenes but you can put it on the steel and its ok again,without chipping of the edge.

If that's the only reason you're worried I wouldn't be concerned. Just use the knife sensibly and you'll be fine. Also, I got mixed up, it's n360 that is nitrogen containing not n690

Can't tell you anything about that steel, but @60 +/- 1 Rc there is no reason for any concern about brittleness, unless Heat Treatment has been done very poorly, as reported sometimes with VG-10. I guess it's what Henckels calls Cronidur-30 and uses for their most expensive series.
If they kept the traditional cross-section geometry of the Sab there is even less reason for concern: they are not known for being ridiculously thin behind the edge, the edges are strictly symmetric and sharpened at a rather conservative angle, all very different from the Japanese blades we mostly discuss here.
I like the profile a lot, 25cm is my favourite size, an ebony handle is very comfortable and I'm glad to see some innovation in French cutlery.

From earlier releases of K-Sabatier's 200 series I remember they had used steel by Sandvik. I guess it's 14C28N, while Henckels for its Cronidur30 shops with Krupp.

Back