New Anova combi oven

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that! What temp and time?
I recall 85 'C and 45 minutes....I had planned the put the veg on the griddle pan outside but it got more hectic during plating so I ditched that (mini leak, mini turnips and 'mini' carrots)

That might be OK then. I don't have the oven, so I don't know the details. I was worried that, on dry heat, the oven might work the same way as a toaster oven, which cycles a high-powered heating element on an off. In that case, I think the bag could be at risk. At any rate, those details can be sorted out in time.

I still suspect that an Anova oven could effectively double up as an immersion circulator. Anyone who owns the oven willing to give it a shot?
In my experience (edit; in my oven NOT an Anova) the dry heat has a different effect than using steam, it may be something with precision OR with evaporation from th ebag dunno, but I favor steam for sous vide

Honestly you can improvise an immersion water bath in any oven that goes low enough. I've done it in my cheap 100 euro ikea oven. Just put in a pan with plenty of water, give it a headstart on the stove to get the temp in the right ballpark and let it go for as long as you want. Works on stovetop too. It's not as precise but for most applications it's 'good enough'.

Honestly you can improvise an immersion water bath in any oven that goes low enough. I've done it in my cheap 100 euro ike oven. Just put in a pan with plenty of water, give it a headstart on the temp and let it go for as long as you want. Works on stovetop too. It's not as precise but for most applications it's 'good enough'.
I guess that would work. It just would be a bit slower to come up to temp, but that could be alleviated by starting out with hot water. The temperature control might not be as precise, so maybe not ideal for a beef roast where I really want to control the temperature within ±1 ºC. But I guess this would work for most everything else. Evaporation loss could be reduced by covering the container, and a leave-in digital thermometer will work to keep an eye on actual water temperature.

Not as convenient as a dedicated immersion circulator, but probably perfectly serviceable.

That probably works great for veg, I'm probably more of a control freak than I am aware of....we bought the first steam oven mainly for steaming and found out it would also do sous vide, and I love both functions now.

For perspective, today I unbox my shiny new $$$$ Miele H 7464 BP oven.

IMG_2215.jpeg

It has:
  • a water reservoir
  • a steam injector
  • a probe thermometer
  • a convection fan
  • a digital timer
  • a wifi app
It does not have:
  • the ability to hold a set temperature at 100% humidity for a certain amount of time
  • a price tag anywhere near the Anova
😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

(In related news, Toyota CEO claims “silent majority” of auto industry has doubts about an EV-only future.)

Last edited:
For perspective, today is the day I unbox my shiny new Miele H 7464 BP oven.

View attachment 289861

It has:
  • a water reservoir
  • a steam injector
  • a probe thermometer
  • a convection fan
  • a digital timer
  • a wifi app
It does not have:
  • the ability to hold a set temperature at 100% humidity for a certain amount of time
  • a price tag anywhere near the Anova
😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

(In related news, Toyota CEO claims “silent majority” of auto industry has doubts about an EV-only future.)
Try that steamed fish recipe. Shouldn’t be too demanding of perfect temperature control but it was great. The backbone cuts were helpful

Hybrids will get us to where the Jetson's are. Gasoline then graduate to fuel cells. Basic technology and infrastructure is in place.

Welcome to Tangent Tuesday!

I guess that would work. It just would be a bit slower to come up to temp, but that could be alleviated by starting out with hot water. The temperature control might not be as precise, so maybe not ideal for a beef roast where I really want to control the temperature within ±1 ºC. But I guess this would work for most everything else. Evaporation loss could be reduced by covering the container, and a leave-in digital thermometer will work to keep an eye on actual water temperature.

Not as convenient as a dedicated immersion circulator, but probably perfectly serviceable.
Yeah when I still did ghetto sous-vide I always gave it a head start on the stove, otherwise it takes forever to get it up to temp. I still do the same with confit - which I generally do by just putting the whole pot in the oven.
Temp control is definitly not as precise, so if you want to get results to the exact degree (for example for fancy eggs) it's not an option. But just for doing great meats it's actually quite alright. Definitly 'good enough'. Evaporation is actually less of an issue than with conventional SV.... since there's no SV stick sticking out you can just put the lid on. It's definitly not convenient - especially since you're taking up an oven, but if you want to try SV without owning a SV stick it's actually not a bad place to start.
That probably works great for veg, I'm probably more of a control freak than I am aware of....we bought the first steam oven mainly for steaming and found out it would also do sous vide, and I love both functions now.
Worked great for meat too, as long as you tolerate being 1 or 2 degrees off. If you just lowball it a bit and finish on the stove it still gives great result though.
Never had a steam oven at home, only had them at work. It's one of those things where I'm up on the fence and undecided... since I don't own one I don't really use one so I don't really miss it... but maybe I'm missing out? One of the big perks to me would be baking, being able to bake with a specific moisture level.

Last night I made a 12 lb pork shoulder. Went off the reservation and made up my own oven settings. I Cooked it at 250f 100% steam for 3 hours to get it cooked, dropped down to 175/100% for another 4 hours. Pulled the pork out, brought it up to 450/0% top heat only for about 15-20 minutes to crisp up the skin.

I’m pretty sure it’s superior to a conventional oven. Super moist with crackling skin.

Btw, got the shoulder from a pretty good butcher it easily fed 15 and cost 45 bucks. In the supermarket it costs half of that. Pork shoulder is the cure for high food costs!

'Buying the less desirable cuts' is a good way to save money on food in general. There's still plenty of great cuts that are sold for very cheap. I'm actually hoping some of these gems (like for example hanger steak) remain hidden...
Over here, when it comes to pork, the necks are even cheaper than the shoulders. It's just a shame that energy prices are still relatively high here so that actually starts figuring into the cost calculation of 'low and slow' recipes.

Nothing is lower and slower that cooking with sunlight -- and it's free. Find a building with a reflective glass facade and set up the pots and pans. :cool:

Back on topic…

This thing is a pretty competent pizza oven. Here’s a cauliflower pissalairde I made in a sheet pan. No steam, but 482f convection with top heater on is pretty good for this
image.jpg

Oh, yeah, there’s also a recipe for reheating pizza. I’ll try that tomorrow!

Back on topic…

This thing is a pretty competent pizza oven. Here’s a cauliflower pissalairde I made in a sheet pan. No steam, but 482f convection with top heater on is pretty good for thisView attachment 290817

Oh, yeah, there’s also a recipe for reheating pizza. I’ll try that tomorrow!

Baking Steel makes a pizza steel dedicated to the ANOVA size wise.

The most excellent idea in a long time: cooking only when the sun shines. Massively useful for my diet! I guess my guests will quickly adapt to dinner parties with cold food only…

Back