New import rules in European Union

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last package got flagged by dutch customs (via EMS from Japan). Package was lowballed, got charged €22,36 in VAT and €4 in handling fees, for a grand total of €26,36.
Not bad for 2 TF's I would say 😁.

Last package got flagged by dutch customs (via EMS from Japan). Package was lowballed, got charged €22,36 in VAT and €4 in handling fees, for a grand total of €26,36.
Not bad for 2 TF's I would say 😁.
In a similar case I was asked by PostNL to produce the bill or the proof of payment to establish the real value.

In a similar case I was asked by PostNL to produce the bill or the proof of payment to establish the real value.

Paid the VAT and fees in the PostNL app, and it shows package will be here tomorrow, so guess I got lucky this time. But yeah, that's always a risk when packages get lowballed.

I bought a shaving 🪒 machine in Canada (I know, not a knife but anyway “cut”), cost 95€ in the website. Once I received via FEDEX I had to pay +30€ in Austria!!
Crazy!!

Not too long ago a forum member bought a tataki nomi for me. He marked it as a gift and declared a value of 4000 JPY and sent it with DHL. DHL didn't charge me anything extra in VAT or handling costs. I've also had several chisels from Yahoo Auctions that were sent with Japan Post and passed to PostNL that were let through without VAT on top. These were all around €25 each.

Back