New Kid on the Block

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, based on internet pics and a new (relatively) maker then?

Yes, the market will bare, but worth...? Another matter completely.

Perhaps he is or has been an apprentice to Kramer... otherwise and imho, his bonafides don't command anything near those prices. Particularly with PS images (FLAG!).

Design degree, har har... wonder how Bob Loveless, Heron, Dozier, (et all) could even think of stepping up to a grinder without that on their resume? :lol2:

I think Mario was just pointing out that his prices seem to be in the same price range as many other "new" or "emerging" makers. To be fair, based on his description of the knives and steel choice they sound pretty good.

Just out of curiosity, does he do his own HT?

Just out of curiosity, does he do his own HT?

He has an oven. Not sure if the pliers of sorts that he seems to be using is a better choice than tongs (you are handling steel that is in 1500-1550F range and you need to quench it fast), but people make do with what they have.

heat.jpg

So, based on internet pics and a new (relatively) maker then?

Yes, the market will bare, but worth...? Another matter completely.

Perhaps he is or has been an apprentice to Kramer... otherwise and imho, his bonafides don't command anything near those prices. Particularly with PS images (FLAG!).

Design degree, har har... wonder how Bob Loveless, Heron, Dozier, (et all) could even think of stepping up to a grinder without that on their resume? :lol2:

I am not commenting on the quality of his blades,just the price.Since I paid $1500 for a 52100 kramer a $425 knock off might not be a bad deal.

I am not commenting on the quality of his blades,just the price.Since I paid $1500 for a 52100 kramer a $425 knock off might not be a bad deal.

Sure, but you can get the licensed knock off in 52100 from SLT for $350...

LOL vice grips. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do, huh?

For guys that don't forge its pretty standard for vise grips or channel locks. Those are both standard tools in the knife shop anyway. I think I have at least 4 pr of vise grips. There are very few standardized tools in the knifemaking industry, the 2 x 72 grinder seems to be one of the very few, but there are knifemakers without one. Most of knifemaking is doing what you gotta do. I wish there were standards like other industries, other than a "godd ole boys club"
Del

For guys that don't forge its pretty standard for vise grips or channel locks. Those are both standard tools in the knife shop anyway. I think I have at least 4 pr of vise grips. There are very few standardized tools in the knifemaking industry, the 2 x 72 grinder seems to be one of the very few, but there are knifemakers without one. Most of knifemaking is doing what you gotta do. I wish there were standards like other industries, other than a "godd ole boys club"
Del

+1 I'm not a knife maker but I know A LOT about high temps and handling hot metal.

-AJ

Some non (less?) photoshopped pictures.

blue1.jpg

blue2.jpg

blue3.jpg

blue4.jpg

I wonder if he has noticed all the traffic coming to him from this site yet.

I'll say it: Those are gorgeous knives. Clearly modelled after Kramer's, but since Kramer is pretty much my (the?) high-water mark for the industry, I hardly feel like that's an insult.

I'll say it: Those are gorgeous knives. Clearly modelled after Kramer's, but since Kramer is pretty much my (the?) high-water mark for the industry, I hardly feel like that's an insult.

+1

Ray Laconico, a knifemaker who sells at bladeforums.com, is another guy with a design background. His knives are dead simple, but very very pleasing and ultra clean in execution.

If the knives are what he says they are, these knives could sell very well I think. To be honest though, would anyone buy a knife based on Photoshop images and a few not very clear photos? Surely if he sells any people would be asking for photos before they buy? It is a little odd and it would be pretty cool if they are what the site says they are

I HT and quench with vise grips all the time. I have tongs that would do but prefer the vise grips for the positive feel and easier manipulation of the blade for agitating in the quench. I also wear a welding glove. From my little experiance with Bob, he seems like a very mindfull and natural teacher. If this guy was an appretice for any lenght of time and left on good terms, I would expect his knives to be very good.

If the knives are what he says they are, these knives could sell very well I think. To be honest though, would anyone buy a knife based on Photoshop images and a few not very clear photos? Surely if he sells any people would be asking for photos before they buy? It is a little odd and it would be pretty cool if they are what the site says they are

I'm really not sure he's trying to sell to the custom knife knut crowd, it kinda seems like he wants to cater to the Williams Sonoma more money than sense crowd. It just seems like he's trying to give everything the uniform appearance of a set to appeal to people that think knives should match.

Also, how did this thread make it this long without THIS:

[video=youtube;tbIEwIwYz-c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tbIEwIwYz-c[/video]

You know you love it.

Wow...that song is making me reconsider a piece I've been writing about hip-hop...

Wow...that song is making me reconsider a piece I've been writing about hip-hop...

That song has absolutely nothing to do with hip hop.

If you want or need to know what real hip hop is just ask me. I'm not talking about the crap on the radio either. Real artists are out there.

Haha, yea, don't worry that I'm thinking they're actually hip hop. I just know that among the many things they were marketed as/imitating (pop, rock, etc.), they were drawing on supposed "hip hop" styles and flavors. Ever seen any of the old school hip hop movies/documentaries/music videos? Those kids are drawing somewhat from those styles--as well as from other styles.

Anyways, I am writing something about hip hop and racial discourse. The general thrust is that it's historically inaccurate and an exclusionary/effacing political move to argue that hip hop is a "black youth culture" that has been stolen by non-black performers, enthusiasts, etc. This is a perspective that I saw in many rappers' and scholars' works (and not in many others', I know). It's hard to capture the whole scope of the argument in one sentence, but I think I've already derailed the thread enough.

The joke in my earlier post was that not even I could get myself to say that those kids aren't just straight up cultural thieves.

My apologies for the off-topic posts. I have too much of a tendency towards doing that on forums for some reason, even though I know it's bad manners.

Back