New knife for home

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAVERY

Reaction score

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

6”, 150-165mm chefs or similar. I love my 8 and 9” chefs knives but they are a little cumbersome in my tiny home kitchen. I want the same feel same height just less length.

Are you right or left handed?

Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Doesn’t matter

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

150-165mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

Preferably no.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

$250

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

This will only be used at home.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Boneless protein and veg.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

8 and 9” chefs knives.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Depends, but mostly pinch.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Depends on what I’m doing but push, slice, rock?

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Shorter.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

I would prefer not to have anything stainless.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Balanced for a pinch.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

I prefer thinner knives.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

Longer the better.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Wood

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Depends on the knife.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Interested in learning more.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Zwilling Kramer 6” carbon?

Last edited:
In that price range I like the JCK Natures Deep Impact Series Gyuto. It has an Aogami Super core for great edge retention and a stainless jacket for easy care. It's kind of laser-like so release isn't the best, and due to the hardness you have to be careful not to damage the edge on bones etc.

Also the Gesshin Ginga white #2 from JKI should be a great choice if you don't mind sharpening a little more often.

EDIT: Both of those are available in 180mm, (7") not sure if that qualifies as 6ish inches or not.

Last edited:
I own the 8” Kramer carbon so my thoughts are similar to the 6” I hope, great balance right at heel, wood handle feels excellent. It’s considerably heftier than my jknives but feels steady in my hands without fatigue. They’re available at sur la table if you want to try holding them.

Just be aware that at 150mm that most knives have very low heel height, which translates to low knuckle clearance.
The way around this is usually a 165mm Nakiri or Santoku, which are shorter, taller blades.
So what heel height is acceptable for your use ?

masakage koishi 180mm gyuto is slightly over your budget. the AS steel is neither the easiest nor the most difficult to sharpen, but keeps an edge a long time. it's not a laser, but on the thin side of middleweight.

180mm is a good size gyuto for a cramped space, but if you really want to go shorter without sacrificing height, you might want to consider a santoku or bunka.

Santoku really isn’t a bad idea here, and despite the fact that “that’s not what that’s for!!!” If you’re working with boneless protein, which generally means some variation on slicing (unless you’re trimming roasts and such) nakiri could work too. Yoshimune White #1 165mm santoku, I’ve prepped so many meals start to finish with that but I just sold mine. AS would have better retention though.

I do know that gyuto around 150mm exist from Ryusen and Miyabi (both stainless though) and TF, and I feel like I’ve seen others. Maybe one of Takeda’s offerings is the right length and height, though it might not be called a gyuto?

Went with a Misono carbon santoku 180mm. Think my chefs/gyutos are done at home...

Latest posts

Back