New Knife Suggestions for my Brother

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

My brother has expressed interest in getting some "decent" kitchen knives and was thinking of getting him a few as a gift. I've filled out the questionnaire to the best of my ability. I am thinking something stainless and relatively soft so the edge doesn't get beat up. I'm leaning toward something like a Wustof or similar, but can't help but think there's a better performer in the jknife world that can stand up to some abuse. Any steel or knife recommendations are welcome!

Fort Collins, CO
United States

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
gyuto, petty, slicer

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Either at the moment. He's coming in town soon and I'll have him try some different handles to see his preferences.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
150, 210-240

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
YES

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$300 for 1-2 knives

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
home only

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
chopping veggies, slicing meats and ribs

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
unknown

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
unknown

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
unknown, probably rock chopper

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
He does like to look of a dammy, but not a required feature

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
He wants a better performing knife than his current cheap, no-name set. Literally, anything will be a step up.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
"cheap synthetic" although I'll probably upgrade him to an end-grain wood board in the near future.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes, with a pull through sharpener. I doubt I'll get him using stones so he'll probably continue some sharpening jig/system, which we could upgrade if there are any suggesting here too.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
Doubt it. Either need a sharpening jig/system or to find a place to send knives for sharpening.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Sure, as a future endeavor.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Wusthof Gourmet in 6" or 8" along with a Work Sharp Precision Guided Sharpener.

The Gourmet line is actually a pretty good knife and the basic, but not terrible, guided sharpener will tell you if and how much he wants to put into maintenance.

If he's going to just use a pull through, then forget the knife gift and think of something else.

I still stand by the kaeru 210 stainless for non-lefties. It's the only one of my jknives I'd be willing to let guests use. In a similar price range, you can find Tadafusa (sold under various names) in Ginsan which should also be pretty durable, but I haven't personally tried it.

I still stand by the kaeru 210 stainless for non-lefties. It's the only one of my jknives I'd be willing to let guests use. In a similar price range, you can find Tadafusa (sold under various names) in Ginsan which should also be pretty durable, but I haven't personally tried it.

If it's sold under a different name, how do I know it's Tadafusa?

If it's sold under a different name, how do I know it's Tadafusa?
Oops, I meant SLD, not Ginsan. I've seen them sold under the names ittetsu, kohetsu, and a few others I can't remember.

For a more durable, lower hardness, you could try the gesshin stainless from Japanese knife imports. Those are aus-8 steel with a very conservative grind.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes, with a pull through sharpener. I doubt I'll get him using stones so he'll probably continue some sharpening jig/system, which we could upgrade if there are any suggesting here too.
Not even if you supply him with a good no-hassle stone?

Here are some ideas that could fit the descriptions you're mentioning, with the total under-budget:
https://www.**************.com/kovgtsgy21.htmlhttps://www.**************.com/mihape15.htmlhttps://www.**************.com/shpro10.html

An excellent alternative to a Wüsthof and a first introduction to thinner, harder, lighter blades but still forgiving were a Misono 440. Get it with Korin and ask for the free 'initial stone sharpening' as the factory edge is weak. It makes future maintenance much easier.
As said by others, use of a pull-through is probably the worst thing one can do to a knife. Stone sharpening can be postponed in a home setting by very cautious use of a very good steel rod combined with a ceramic one. The only steel rod I can suggest is the Dickoron Micro. As for the ceramic one, the Sieger LongLife is a great tool. But both require careful use, a very light touch and some understanding of the underlying process to be beneficial and not harm instead. You will have to determine whether this is realistic in your brother's case.

An excellent alternative to a Wüsthof and a first introduction to thinner, harder, lighter blades but still forgiving were a Misono 440. Get it with Korin and ask for the free 'initial stone sharpening' as the factory edge is weak. It makes future maintenance much easier.
As said by others, use of a pull-through is probably the worst thing one can do to a knife. Stone sharpening can be postponed in a home setting by very cautious use of a very good steel rod combined with a ceramic one. The only steel rod I can suggest is the Dickoron Micro. As for the ceramic one, the Sieger LongLife is a great tool. But both require careful use, a very light touch and some understanding of the underlying process to be beneficial and not harm instead. You will have to determine whether this is realistic in your brother's case.
This is decent advice, but I would point out that Misonos are not 50/50 bevels and the asymetrical edge is going to be a challenge for some people to maintain. Also given that, make sure you account for if he is a righty or a lefty.

It might be an unpopular opinion, but I recommend Globals for people who are trying to split the difference between western and J-knives. Softer steel, Japanese thin geometry, and I used to own the 8" chefs, if was my travel knife for a long time, it is decent and laser-like.

Well, since I'm in the realm of unpopular opinions already, if he can't be dissuaded from using a pull through, you might want to provide one that at least accounts for the Japanese more smaller angles, I believe they make them with a 'Japanese-style slot. A leather strop with compound might also be something he could be persuaded to use.

This is decent advice, but I would point out that Misonos are not 50/50 bevels and the asymetrical edge is going to be a challenge for some people to maintain. Also given that, make sure you account for if he is a righty or a lefty.
The OP mentioned his brother to be right-handed. Once decently sharpened they will have straight bevels instead of the overly convexed factory ones. Maintenance will be not that different from the one with a symmetric edge. Start on the right side and finish on the right side as well. R/L/R or R/L/R/L/R. The left angle will be a bit higher than the right one. R /L 12/15 degree or so.

Another option is using a sharpening service in conjunction with a steel that holds an edge for a long time. VG10 or R2 would be a good choice if you think he’d rather go that direction than learn how to sharpen or purchase (and actually use) a manual sharpening system.

VG10 in particular loses the fresh edge feeling pretty quickly but stays usefully sharp for a very long time, so he could conceivably just get it sharpened once or twice a year depending on usage. If using a sharpening service, find one that does it manually on stones, not on a belt.

I am in total agreement with everyone that a pull through sharpener is blasphemous. My brother has mentioned that he is open to other sharpening options. I get the feeling he isn't going to spend the time to learn how to use stones. He needs something quick and easy that gives reasonable results. Looking through other sharpening threads that seem to fit the bill, the Work Sharp may be a good fit, as @HumbleHomeCook noted earlier. I'll also look into the ceramic and steel rod options.

I really appreciate all the suggestions about makers as steels as well. There are definitely some winners for him in that bunch. I will suggest that he stop by Carbon Knife Co in Denver and see what comes of that.

maybe you can get two Masutani Hamono 210mm VG10 series knifes approximate 150 each, one for vegeies one for meat....🤔
1640003075870.png
1640003146247.png

or
one Kaishin Guyto, options from non-stainless or stainless
1640003235142.png

but these two options needs you to learn sharpening....

Last edited:
Back