New Mazaki Profile. Opinions?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DitmasPork

Reaction score
Curious on what y'all thought of the new Mazaki gyuto profiles on the JNS site? At left is the new profile, on the right is my Maz purchased in February of this year.

Newer profile looks pointier, shorter in the front third of the blade. Not sure without seeing one up close in person. To me, the older profile is more distinctive.

DsZGUi8.jpg

I forget and do t really want to fish through all the other threads
Is your mazaki wide bevel or is that just cosmetic?
I kinda like this new profile and am hoping it's not just a cosmetic look

On these kind of pictures, perspective can really blur reality. Might be something to keep in mind. Where the camera is positioned in relation matters, and if the knife is "leaning" away or towards camera.

Another different Mazaki! I wonder if he has ever made 2 batches alike. I like my Mazaki, but how can you ever know what to expect when ordering one?

On these kind of pictures, perspective can really blur reality. Might be something to keep in mind. Where the camera is positioned in relation matters, and if the knife is "leaning" away or towards camera.
This. Do not over-analyze ”leaning” pictures.

I agree about the perspective, but to be fair Maksim says "New Mazaki 240mm Gyuto NEW profile and specs" in his newsletter.

Does it look more Kato-esque or is that just wishful thinking for those of us to poor to get a real one?

I’m interested in the new heat treat and water quench along with the profile. Anyone get one yet?

The choil shot looks way different than a kato

I do like what looks to be a "pointier" tip on the newer knife but like what appears to be a thicker grind in the specs on the older knife.

Wide bevel, kinda an "s" grind on my Maz.

HfLd2ZW.jpg

I forget and do t really want to fish through all the other threads
Is your mazaki wide bevel or is that just cosmetic?
I kinda like this new profile and am hoping it's not just a cosmetic look

IMO the "New" Maz profile looks closer to the Kaeru than the Kato. My Kato WH has more belly. ("New" Maz on left, Kaeru on right.)

Profile looks flatter than Kato WH to me. Also, it’s not as hefty and thick at the spine as Kato.

cCQADBa.jpg

Last edited:
I just pulled the trigger on a "new" Mazaki 240. I have an older 240 too (although I thinned it) so it should be a fun comparison.

Has anyone else compared the two?

This new version doesn't seem to be getting the same amount of hype. How are people liking theirs so far?

I just pulled the trigger on a "new" Mazaki 240. I have an older 240 too (although I thinned it) so it should be a fun comparison.

Has anyone else compared the two?

This new version doesn't seem to be getting the same amount of hype. How are people liking theirs so far?

Im loving my 270; actually think these are regarded even better by a lot of people!

I have both the old style and new style in my position too.
About to put a handle on the new style and give it a go this weekend.
Personally I like the old style look better, but the new style in general looks like a all around upgrade, much more aggressive tapering and thin toward the edge.
If you order one from James (Knives and stones) right now, you can get a Free Saya to go with it.
Below are some photos for comparison.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BotqWxKAIKi/?taken-by=jg__knives.handles

Im loving my 270; actually think these are regarded even better by a lot of people!

It was your review that sealed the deal for me! If the 270 had been available, I probably would have gotten it rather than the 240.

Gjackson -- I'm with you: I love the old santoku-style of the old Maz, but it was the nicely done distal taper of the new one that I'm looking forward to trying out.

With regard to the JNS version (that I bought) vs. the KnS version, I was under the impression that the JNS version was "charcoal" forged, which was an exclusive deal with JNS. I have no idea of the significance of charcoal or whether it's a gimmick, but do you know if the JNS and and KnS versions are the same knife?

It was your review that sealed the deal for me! If the 270 had been available, I probably would have gotten it rather than the 240.

Gjackson -- I'm with you: I love the old santoku-style of the old Maz, but it was the nicely done distal taper of the new one that I'm looking forward to trying out.

With regard to the JNS version (that I bought) vs. the KnS version, I was under the impression that the JNS version was "charcoal" forged, which was an exclusive deal with JNS. I have no idea of the significance of charcoal or whether it's a gimmick, but do you know if the JNS and and KnS versions are the same knife?

Per the conversation I had with James, he believes that they should be the same knife as the current improved JNS version.
(The free saya was very NICE)

His output must be insane. Makes you think when waiting for month or years from some makers. I guess concentrating on mostly one steel helps, even though it is not clear if the heat treat is the same for different retailers. There are some reports that heat treat might be slightly different, but that would be very difficult to figure out without a lot of testing since there would be natural variations that could account for the perceived differences.

Ugh, I wish I had known that. I ordered one from JNS. I really like working with James.

I have to admit, I'm having a little buyer's remorse too. KnS is cheaper, with an upgraded handle (although there's a joy to the simplicity of the d-shaped ho wood version), and comes with a saya. I didn't know that KnS even carried Mazaki. Oh, well!

When does yours come, Ashy? I hope you update this thread with your impressions.

I may be wrong in this case, but hight output volume usually means more craftsmen in the workshop. Maybe just one smith, but possibly several sharpeners as that part takes longer.

I don't know either, but everyone keeps saying he is a one man shop, doing everything by himself. If true his output is mind bugling, he must be forging, etc 24/7.

Back