New member from southeastern US

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithknifeworks

Reaction score
Hey everyone. My name is Clayton and I'm a beginner knife maker. Pleasure to be here. Hope everyone has a great day!

-Clayton

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got quite a few. According to ol' bkultra right up there, though, in a PM that was just sent:

"I don't remember giving you the promotional speech before so here goes. Pls make sure this and any future threads cannot be perceived as promoting any products or services that you provide. Promotion is reserved for our sponsoring craftsmen and hobbyists. I have edited your post because of this."

I posted my IG handle in the original post and bkultra deleted it. So I gather that, from this message, unless I pay the forum some money, I cant bring any attention to the work that I make. Pretty ironic, considering I never suggested that my knives were for sale. Quite the opposite really. I came here to get an idea of what attributes of a knife users prioritize, so that I can make better knives. I'm not ready to sell anyone anything yet. I only said I made knives; nothing about selling them.

I guess this isn't the place for me. Thanks for your interest in my work, though. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out. I love snowflakes.

Market research, your stated purpose of joining is also against the rules.

Last edited:
Damn. Guess Smithy poked the bear.

But it's true. You can't come on here and promote work without some sort of sponsorship relationship. The place would be a spam magnet otherwise.

I think that his reasons were pretty legit, but his attitude unfortunately not. Finding a kinder and a more respectful way would have gone a long way. But I understand and agree with the swift reaction from mods.

My PM was polite and respectful, he even cut out the part of me welcoming him to the forum.

I took the time to explain why I removed his IG information and that wasn't good enough. He decided to publicly post a private message and use his second post to call me out and state "I'm taking my ball and going home."

Look again at the order... Does my PM seem rude or disrespectful? Was his response and calling me "ol' bkultra" the appropriate response to such?

Can’t play by the rules? See ya. Butt hurt by that? Too bad.
These days, anyone who can buy a white coat calls themselves a Chef.
Now it looks like anyone who can buy a belt grinder calls themselves a Bladesmith.
I’m still under the impression that KKF is about quality, not quantity.

I'm a moderator on two other (unrelated to knives) forums. I see this sort of thing almost every day. Unless it's blatantly obvious spamming, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. After all, as an admin, I can re-write history and erase every trace of them, if need be.

Seeing that @smithknifeworks bothered to reply, that's a strong indication that he/she isn't the usual spammer who just wants to mis-direct search engines. On the other hand, replying in public is rarely the best way to deal with this kind of incident. I'd just take this to private messages and take it from there.

Can’t play by the rules? See ya. Butt hurt by that? Too bad.
These days, anyone who can buy a white coat calls themselves a Chef.
Now it looks like anyone who can buy a belt grinder calls themselves a Bladesmith.
I’m still under the impression that KKF is about quality, not quantity.

I said I was a beginner knife maker. I'm not a bladesmith and not an expert. I came here to learn.

I'm a moderator on two other (unrelated to knives) forums. I see this sort of thing almost every day. Unless it's blatantly obvious spamming, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. After all, as an admin, I can re-write history and erase every trace of them, if need be.

Seeing that @smithknifeworks bothered to reply, that's a strong indication that he/she isn't the usual spammer who just wants to mis-direct search engines. On the other hand, replying in public is rarely the best way to deal with this kind of incident. I'd just take this to private messages and take it from there.

I appreciate the vote of confidence. Had I been given the opportunity for discourse, I would have taken the time to explain my position clearly and politely. Instead, I got a pm that alluded to me having negative character attributes, so I returned the favor. This isn't life or death here. It's just a forum on the internet. I'll take my chances.

Everyone that comes here as a "knife maker" get the same PM. In fact we get so many I often just copy and paste... And I thought this place isn't for you, why are you back?

I tried to he took a PM and posted it publicly. I'm fine here

I've got quite a few. According to ol' bkultra right up there, though, in a PM that was just sent:

"I don't remember giving you the promotional speech before so here goes. Pls make sure this and any future threads cannot be perceived as promoting any products or services that you provide. Promotion is reserved for our sponsoring craftsmen and hobbyists. I have edited your post because of this."

I posted my IG handle in the original post and bkultra deleted it. So I gather that, from this message, unless I pay the forum some money, I cant bring any attention to the work that I make. Pretty ironic, considering I never suggested that my knives were for sale. Quite the opposite really. I came here to get an idea of what attributes of a knife users prioritize, so that I can make better knives. I'm not ready to sell anyone anything yet. I only said I made knives; nothing about selling them.

I understand where you are coming from, but there are specific reasons for the rules. The pro craftsmen and vendors pay something like $650 a year to support the forum, and so KKF protects the value they offer to them by not allowing other makers or vendors to publicize for free. If the forum were flooded by non-paying makers and vendors as competitors, just how many of those paying would want to renew their support each year when they could just do the same for free?

While you may not be here expressly to sell knives, by including both a "business name" as your username and posting your Instagram account, it positions you as a competitor to the makers and retailers that paid their membership here. Actually IIRC, one of the forum rules is that you cannot say that you're a knifemaker, though the enforcement of this is lax, mainly because the majority of people who do are not engaging in sales or "stealth marketing".

There actually is a sub-forum to post your knives and related work which is called "Handiwork Display" and another to discuss work called "Shop Talk". While most forums tend to engage in consensus "groupthink" at times, I feel KKF is still the best forum for discussion of kitchen knives and how they tick. I tend to go to another forum for technical information on knifemaking, but I believe here is still the best place with respect to performance and characteristics of kitchen knives that determine the various aspects of performance in the kitchen.

Back