New nakiri?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisputt

Reaction score
What country are you in?
Thailand (I guess I'm ordering)

KNIFE TYPE

What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Nakiri

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
165mm seems nice

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Not really. Actually would like a clad knife rather than a bare carbon :)

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
200$ maybe more in I could push it

KNIFE USE

Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Both

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Veg prep says it all

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Not really would like to try a nakiri out

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this for the common types of grips.)
Pinch mostly

What cutting motions do you primarily use? for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Chop, push cut, rocking sometimes

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Clad as said before (no bare carbon)

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Light nimble knife

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Good chopping power, good food release might be nice

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
3-7 weeks

KNIFE MAINTENANCE

Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Hinoki wood, synthetic bamboo

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yup

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
Watched some of the nakiri reviews from mr knife fanatic.
Very interested in the masakage yuki
Maybe tojiro?

Thanks

Ah Masakage Yuki is a great choice IMHO. Quite uncomplicated and good knife. An alternativ would be a Teruyasu Fujiwara Nashiji Nakiri. Superb cutting performance but extremely poor F&F... your choice ;)

My first choice would be an Itinomonn nakiri. It is a laser-like, light knife. If you enjoy heavier bladles, Watanabe. I would get an 180mm nakiri, though, considering you are going to also use it at work.

My first choice would be an Itinomonn nakiri. It is a laser-like, light knife. If you enjoy heavier bladles, Watanabe. I would get an 180mm nakiri, though, considering you are going to also use it at work.

I second that, for the Itinomonn. I have the 180mm and I use it all the time, it was a fine choice.

I heart my Watanabe. The Itinomonn gets a lot of good press and I hope to try one. And plus one to the 180mm. I have a 165 I use at home but it cant crank product the way the 180 c

The Yuki is a terrific nakiri: light, board-stick sharp and tall for scooping. But White steel #2, it needs more sharpening than every 3-7 weeks. Kurosaki AS is a bit shorter, still very light but a touch heavier to power thru dense ingredients. Stays sharper longer.

180 Watanabe...165 will likely feel very small.

I would also add that while Watanabe has a reputation for being on the hefty side, the nakiri is an exception.

Show us a pic?

Cheers

That's like asking a grandmother if she has a picture of the new baby:D 180 Watanabe, handle by Mikey, wood from Dream Burls.

Watanabe%20Nakiri%20Rehandled.jpg

Last edited:
I just got Gihei HAP40 Nakiri.

The HAP40 Steel is harder than Aogami Super and better edge retention. It's good knife if you are looking for work horse. Around your budget. It's on eebay

Back