New Petty Recommendation?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Petty/Utility

Are you right or left handed?

Right Handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

I would prefer a Wa handle.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

165mm - 180mm. Minimum 33mm heel height approx.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

No but one of the reasons I am replacing my current petty is the cladding is quite reactive. I would not mind an San-Mai with stainless cladding. Would prefer a high carbon core but would absolutely be onboard with SKD/AEB-L and the sorts.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

$300

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

No, home use only.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Small veggie/fruit work, trimming larger cuts of meat, etc.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Shigeki Tanaka 150mm Blue 2 Damascus Petty

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Whatever is required.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

A bit more stable blade material reactivity wise. Would prefer a longer/taller petty compared to my current knife. Must sharpen well and take a fine edge and I would prefer it to be quite thin of course.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

No particular requirement here. I am mostly looking for better performance.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

I can round the spine and choil myself if needed. Fit, finish, and consistency of the grind is most important.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

End grain board, hasegawa, and various NSF plastic boards.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

As a pinch grip isn't easy with these knives, watch the handle's size. They tend to be unpleasantly tiny. By the way, the smaller the size of the blade, the smaller the contact area with the board, resulting in frequent sharpening and a short life span.
Both were for me a reason to get a 180 'slicer' I use as a petty.
https://japanesechefsknife.com/products/misono-440-series-slicer-knife

I recently looked into pettys and gyutos with a little more height to the blade.
(probably end up sticking with my 180mm gyuto with 40mm height and also have a 210mm sujihiki that serves well for "petty purposes")

These I found interesting:
https://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/munetoshi-kurouchi-petty-165mm/Expensive and the grind doesn´t look too nice. Especially the tip seems a little thicker which might or might not be OK for you.
Here is another one:
https://miuraknives.com/japanese-kn...panese-knife-miura-knives.html#/37-size-165cmGrind looks OK on pictures and the price is nice too; though import customs would apply.

Last edited:
Sounds like you’re in crossover territory vs a 180mm gyuto. My Myojin 180 gyuto is about 44mm tall, is that too tall for you? There’s also a ridiculously cheap Yoshikane 180 Santoku in BST.

I recently got a vtoku-core stainless-clad 180 production gyuto from Brian Hanson for around $250; he has a petty in that line that he could make taller for you (mine was either a tall petty or small gyuto depending on your perspective). If you go that route, ask him to make it extra-thin if that’s your jam (it’s certainly mine), and the sandblasted finish was a bit sticky so I sanded mine down to reduce stiction.

And as mentioned above our own @MSicardCutlery could also knock out a custom for you.

I have 180mm Brian Hanson standard line petty. It has enough knuckle clearance for board work. I also think it's sufficiently thin as is (similar to new Mazaki). However, the one con is the etch/finish seems to create a raised area in the clad line (and the choil) which impedes cutting/comfort a little bit. I guess if I evened this out it would really be one hell of a package for the price.

I have 180mm Brian Hanson standard line petty. It has enough knuckle clearance for board work. I also think it's sufficiently thin as is (similar to new Mazaki). However, the one con is the etch/finish seems to create a raised area in the clad line (and the choil) which impedes cutting/comfort a little bit. I guess if I evened this out it would really be one hell of a package for the price.

I sanded mine down to remove the etch and finish, added a low angle relief bevel and it’s a hell of a cutter for the price. I did ask him to make mine thinner than usual though; somebody wanting a more robust edge could stick with his standard grind.

Back