Japanese Knives Next Livestream... what do you guys want to see/ask?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for Kasumi finish, especially a method that doesn't require Jnats

A couple more question question, more on the sharpening side of things:

You mentioned in your past video stropping, specifically as it pertained to leather and different additive compounds. Would you compare / contrast this with stropping (between full sharpening sessions) on a synthetic or natural stone? Are you still not as much of a fan of this? Or is the resultant change / refinement in the edge different enough that you don't mind this? As stones are harder than leather or balsa, is there more to beware of / take care with?

Question about grits. I understand that grits can be entirely variable, and shaped to the person that wants them. Want 1000 on a gyuto? Go for it. Want to refine it to something obscene with 0.25 micron diamond sprays? Have at it. I generally hear a recommendation for finishing in the 3-6k range for gyutos... But how does this translate when talking about natural stones? Hearing people talk about a progression on Jnats that ends with those finishers that have "relative" grits in the 12k+ range.. but still really loving the edge. I mean, I understand naturals aren't near as uniform as synthetics, but if you could talk about this in more detail that'd be awesome. How come such relatively high grit naturals still feel so great? Or is that not actually your feelings- I know you'd said to me in the past (when ordering the Gengetsu) that a natural stone edge isn't necessarily the best edge for someone. Could you elaborate on that more? Where do the different edges excel (3-6k synth, vs 8k+ synth vs Aoto / Monzento vs Suita)

Can you talk about zero-grinds a little bit? In looking at the theory of them, it seems like they'd be the ultimate way to maintain edge geometry across the life of a knife.. so thinning isn't necessary. But I don't see it utilized or talked about much in sharpening tutorials. Is it just because of how it scratches up the finish of the blade? Or are there other draw backs? Is the way you demonstrate a lot faster? With the method of sharpening you demonstrate, and also utilizing thinning, is it possible to faithfully keep (or keep close to) the original geometry? Which would you recommend most if the "most important" aspect was maintaining the OOTB shape (zero grind vs traditional sharpening + thinning)?

For what it's worth, I have no problem at all with you filling in the live-stream question session with some forum questions before hand. Live is always nice, but if you get on and don't have a solid audience for 10-15 minutes, having some stuff that you KNOW people want to hear about before fielding the live questions sounds like Win-Win.

Also happy to have any or all of these in just videos you make and upload later. Really appreciate your info on stuff like this!

I really enjoyed the stropping lecture. It forced me to rethink my strategy for stropping on stone instead of compound loaded leather. I am now using a slower more controlled motion which is more precise. This completely removes the burr on both sides of the edge in 2-3 passes. But does not diminish the edge. It leaves the cleanest cuts through paper. And it saves time because I don't need to take out the leather strop.

Japanese Knife Imports Livestream Q&A 7-9-17 36 minutes in

[video=youtube;-fKY617j10A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fKY617j10A&t=36m0s[/video]

Latest posts

Back