Nooooooooooo! Don't cut THAT!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using that logic one could argue that since sharpening removes metal, that sharpening is damaging the knife.

one can't arrive there using the same logic, but sharpening is absolutely damage, if one is looking at it from the standpoint of collector value. there is a reason depreciation exists. i don't buy knives for collector value, however, so i don't see sharpening a knife as being the same as grinding one edge first on a glass bottle.

Life too short to argue about how someone uses and doesn't use a knife.

Adios.

If you amend this statement to read "uses their knife", I would totally agree. When it comes to how they use my knives however, I get to make the rules. My rules say thou shall not use my knives to open wine bottles.

:peace:
Be well,
Mikey

Sometimes you gotta ask yourself,

"Would a reasonable person have the same expectation?"

If so, everything else can fall by the wayside.

Sometimes you gotta ask yourself,

"Would a reasonable person have the same expectation?"

oh, i guess i should just sit on my kitchen floor and eat pudding then, like a reasonable person.

You can open all the wine you want with your knives at your house but if you come to visit me and open a bottle of wine with my knife I'll rip your ass.

You can open all the wine you want with your knives at your house but if you come to visit me and open a bottle of wine with my knife I'll rip your ass.

Heh, you've got the avatar to prove it too! :D

Using that logic one could argue that since sharpening removes metal, that sharpening is damaging the knife.

I think that is right...it's a form of controlled damage intended to restore the knife to proper function. The same could be said for knocking dents out of a bodypanel.

My wife confessed the other day to using the Ealy parer to puncture that top of a tin can. Was wondering why the tip was damaged..

My wife confessed the other day to using the Ealy parer to puncture that top of a tin can. Was wondering why the tip was damaged..
Maybe she was channeling Bobby Flay:D

Be well,
Mikey

I have the unfortunate memory of owning and using a glass cutting board. "More sanitary" they said. "Easier to clean" they said.

Was helping prepare dinner with a family for Chinese New Year and the grandfather surreptitiously handed me his nice cheap santoku which he'd apparently gotten from a big-box retailer (the kind of santoku that gets painted orange and has anti-stick holes). I politely declined since I brought my knife, but I knew why he was offering it to me; the grandmother's knives were in rough shape.

Literally rough shape. When I picked up one of them, I thought it was a cheapie serrated knife. Turns out the serrations were acquired. She used it on glass, steel, tile, you name it. There were 5 knives on a rack and they all had more battle scars than something with a hell of a lot of battle scars. None had ever been sharpened though there was a cheap combo whetsone right next to them. Their cutting power came from accumulated damage.

It was suggested I get her a knife as a gift...I don't even hate junk knives enough to consign them to that fate...

Aaaaahhh the age old debate between functionality, easy-living and a passionate hobby... whomever comes out with a successful recipe please, PM me...

I like my glass cutting board, I use it to cut cakes :)

My parents rented a house in the country to get the family back together for a long weekend. I always bring my own knives when cooking, but I forgot a board. They had glass boards there, I got around it a bit by using heaps of paper towels on the glass to function a bit like a wooden board. Was a good temp fix.

When I first read this post I thought she was going to saber the bottle, like they do with champagne. I know it hurts but it could've been worse. Nothing a little time on a stone won't cure. Maybe an inexpensive meat cleaver might be the way to go or a butcher steel to crush ice! Just saying…

Back