Recipe Requested Octopus Recipes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luuogle

Reaction score
I have a whole octopus and am wondering what to do with it. Does anybody have some suggestions on a recipe that they make often? Had thought about possibly doing an octopus salad of some sort. Something like this Octopus Salad Recipe. Let me know if you guys have any other ideas.

To cook tender octopus,
Clean it, remove skin, hood and beak.
*In a large pan hot pan
*Drop in a couple of tablespoons if white wine vinegar, pepper corns, bayleaf
*Drop in octopus and toss to coat in vinegar
*Cover and steam for till cooked (5 - 10 min depending on size)
*leave to sit covered for 20 min.
*let it cool, slice and chargrill or saute.

I used to wrap the whole tentacle and freeze them then slice on a gravity feed slicer into "caparcio"

It's the way that I've found that cooks the most tender octopus.

My standard Octopus Salad for the last 20 years- made some last week.
-Boiled octopus cut into bite size pieces
-Celery, Red Onion, Paprika (red pepper)
-Capers, Black Olives, chopped Italian Parsley
-Olive oil, White Wine Vinegar, lemon juice, salt
Anyone who cooks can envision the above all put together. Best when left at least overnight in
the fridge in a saran wrapped glass bowl for everything to mellow out.
Serve with a Baguette.

I am use to working with the basic Octopus (Tako) that is found in south/western Japan. It is identical to Octopus I've had in Italy, Greece and Spain. But up here in the north - Hokkaido they only catch Mizu Dako- Pacific Giant Octopus, which is much bigger but to me, does not taste as good as the standard Octopus. But this Spring the local market started carrying standard Octopus imported from Morocco. Which happens to be the world's biggest exporter of
Octopus. It seems that with most of the Restaurants in Japan cutting down on buying due to Covid, it overflowed to the markets.

Poached in olive oil 176f for 5 hours. Incredibly tender good to fry or grill after

I boil large octopus in water with salt, pepper corns, and bay for 40 mins to an hour. Take out and remove skin, suckers, beak etc... Marinate in olive oil, salt, paprika, maybe oregano etc (depends on the flav profile you're going for) until cool (hour or so). Then bbq on super hot grill just until it chars up. yeah yum.

27BA73B1-79FA-4EBB-A650-F70A5D790ED1.jpeg

The octopus came out well poached it for 2-3 hours then cooled and seared in a hot pan. Cut up onto small bite size pieces and mixed with some chimichurri and Serrano peppers.

Damn, now I'm hungry.

There have been several Mexican restaurants serving Pacific coast style food where I've had a nice seafood cocktail including octopus called "brings you back to life" ("Vuelve a la Vida”). I wasn't even hung over.

Treatment of the octopus was in line with most of the above, tentacles poached in water with a little salt, bay leaf, white and/or black pepper corns until tender, then sliced.

https://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/seafood-cocktail/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back