Of all the chef's knives you own, which do you reach for first?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the late response and my conclusions about Carters knife terms because, as it seems, I don´t quite follow his nomenclature.
My old Carter was called wabocho I´m sure but that just means traditional japanese knife with wa handle (or so).
Funayuki is supposed to be like a santoku (flat-ish) but with a more pronounced higher off the board tip. (as I understand it)
Here is a picture of a typical Carter funayuki (top knife; a brilliant petty BTW):
Carter funayuki

Just a few months ago I bought a used Muteki from Harbeer and looked at Carters website only to see it is called funayuki as well although it looks very santoku-like and very different to most of his "funayukis"
my Carter funayuki

Anyways, TLDR, here are some pics of both.
The old one obviously wasn´t "taped" while thinning and still has a many months old chip in the blade where a banged it into a aluminium pan..
Both knives are great performers. Both ~20cm the Muteki quite wide at the heel with 57mm, the old one 48mm.
The latter still has the original plastic ferrule Carter used to use back then!
beautiful knives! those old school Carter knives look super cool

Back