Of all the chef's knives you own, which do you reach for first?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RuddyUdder

Sharp AF
Reaction score
About a year and a half ago, I retired my old block of Shun knives from 2008, gave them to a friend, and went on a quest to assemble a set of Japanese chefs knives to last me to the grave. Unlike the Shuns, which I mindlessly bought as a huge set (many of which I never touched), the new knives would each be chosen intentially, with a specific purpose in mind.

I've now got a collection that I love, that work beautifully, feel phenomenal to use, and put a smile on my face every time I use them. What I've been surprised by though is that the knife that I impulsively reach for first isn't the one that I thought I would. I'm typically not grabbing a 270mm or 240mm Gyuto, but instead it's a Bunka that I just seem to have the most fun with. Specifically, a 180mm Hado Sakai Sumi Bunka made from Shirogami No.2.

Question: Of the knives that you own, do you tend to reach first for your "best knife" first, or the one that's the most fun to use? What knife is it for you? Why?

bunka.png

180mm Hado Sakai Sumi Bunka made from Shirogami No.2

2023 Knives JAG.png

13 of the 18 knives that will take me to the grave.

Last edited:
The above knives (L to R) are:
  1. 135mm Masashi VS1 Kaijin Petty
  2. 150mm Masashi VS1 Kaijin Honesuki
  3. 165mm Masashi VS1 Kaijin Nakiri
  4. 240mm Masashi VS1 Kaijin Sujihiki
  5. 240mm Masashi VS1 Kaijin Wa-Gyuto
  6. 270mm Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan ZDP-189 Wa-Kiritsuke
  7. 330mm Masamoto KS Series Hon Kasumi Shirogami No.2 Yanagiba
  8. 270mm Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan Hon Kasumi Series Blue Steel No.2 Kiritsuke
  9. 225mm Masamoto KS Hon Kasumi Gyokuhaku-ko White HC Steel Deba
  10. 210mm Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan Hon Kasumi Series Blue Steel No.1 Usuba
  11. 240mm Masakage Koishi AS (Aogami Super Steel) Wa-Gyuto
  12. 255mm Nigara Hamono SG2 Kurouchi Tsuchime Wa-Kiritsuke Sujihiki
  13. 180mm Hado Sakai Sumi Shirogami No.2 Bunka

Last edited:
This is the knife-nerd equivalent of a Zen koan, a succinct paradoxical question used as a mediation discipline for novices. The effort to “solve” a koan is intended to exhaust the analytic intellect and the egoistic will, readying the mind to entertain an appropriate response on the intuitive level.

Ah grasshopper, there is no "one knife."

Recently it's been Mazaki 180 gyuto. It works for almost everything I cut at home and has crazy good food release on things like potatoes. I never thought I'd love small knives this much but here I am

Hado is top of the line, great choice. Personally I would have a hard choice, tho these days I tend to go heavier and longer, so Toyama iron clad 270mm, Kippington 245mm WP or Merion 280mm. My ShiHan is in the shop for a refinish and I love that one for everything. For smaller task tho I'd go Toyama 210 Nakiri or Migoto 240mm Blue 1 Shinogi.

As far as gyutos go, it’s probably my Sukenari 240mm HAP40 k-tip; but that’s a little long for casual use at home. It’s just slightly too long for my knife block. There, it’s usually my Anryu aogami 2 210mm or 8 inch carbon Z Kramer. But the Sukenari is understated, elegant, and a great cutter that always delivers.

when cooking for 1-2: iron-clad Toyama 210, my first gyuto and going strong for 6 years straight.

when cooking for 1-2 and too lazy to care about carbon: Gesshin Ginga 180 yo-gyuto, recently acquired

when cooking for a larger group: 240 old school Gengetsu, recently thinned and refinished. feels so natural in hand, cuts like crazy and feels like an old friend after I spent hours working on it.

ops, that’s 3…

C8B80DC5-D0F3-495B-AF9A-9421DDE17C1B.jpeg
DB58086C-556C-4A2F-B598-D9960F7ADB32.jpeg
06D156A8-3A56-4A47-9C27-B66D04C00548.jpeg

1. 240 Tanaka-Kyuzo B1
2. 210 Miura Itadaki Tanaka W2
3. 240 Echizen AS Kurouchi
4. z_Kramer 210 52100 (older style)

Id like to try a bunka. I’ll have to read up on the Hado. I see it’s also Tanaka, which is okay by me, is it socially acceptable to load up on one maker?

This is the knife-nerd equivalent of a Zen koan, a succinct paradoxical question used as a mediation discipline for novices. The effort to “solve” a koan is intended to exhaust the analytic intellect and the egoistic will, readying the mind to entertain an appropriate response on the intuitive level.

Ah grasshopper, there is no "one knife."

I believe the word you were after was Meditation.

Not a chef knife but these two get grabbed most. White 2 ashi 210 suji, and r2 135 Ryusen petty. The first since it cuts so nice and is so easy to touch up on any stone at all. The second for anything acid, since that r2 just holds and holds a toothy edge for months. The gyuto rotation is always a toss up, but in reality these two are the real work horses of the kitchen. They’re reached for most, see the most cuts, they’re the knives I understand the best.
28848DB0-9B0D-4C17-AA43-613F8E3C38C1.jpeg

Takamura 210 red handle gyuto. All you’ll ever need. Hands down most used, and I have a unicorn collection.

I feel this way about my Yoshikane, which was the 2nd nice knife I ever bought. It’s like some parable where you go wandering across the globe only to realize you had what you needed all along.

But I’m still happily in the wandering phase, not yet ready for wisdom 😂

Takamura 210 red handle gyuto. All you’ll ever need. Hands down most used, and I have a unicorn collection.
All you’ll ever need, just one knife?🔪🙀I’ve been lied to and led down a crooked path😂. Actually I finally got a Takamura last week and I’ve been reaching for it first since. It‘s an awesome cutter. Really nice feel and balance in hand. I don’t have a unicorn collection but I do have 25 or so nice knives. I also reach first for the 210 Wat which is more of the heavier knife I prefer and the Takeda Nakiri which is sort of laserish. Then have to tell myself to use another one.

I feel this way about my Yoshikane, which was the 2nd nice knife I ever bought. It’s like some parable where you go wandering across the globe only to realize you had what you needed all along.

Have 2 Yoshis and no question they are amongst the best cutters I’ve used. I’ll keep them forever.

I have a Yoshikane 210 SKD and love that knife too. One knife?🤷‍♂️👎 No way.

Most used knife in the house this Pallares. It gets good beating from the kids and rust removal from time to time. Holds 1k ish edge with stropping suprisingly long.

Gyutos get the rotation no matter what but the Kippington WP honyaki has stayed the "benchmark" for me.

IMG_20230411_112907.jpg

Back