Oh #$@% - Macro chip on a rather pricey knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W-was that an insult? :rofl2:

Nah this thread was from three years ago. The knife was fixed back then and is still good today.
I'll take this opportunity to point out that I bought these ZDP knives to use in a professional kitchen, and the amount of sharpening I've done to them is beginning to show.
The 240mm is essentially a petty knife now:

pLTICWJ.jpg

Yeah, no doubt these two are what dropped me head first into the knife-making rabbit hole! :)

Haha holy **** that’s crazy!!!! It for real is a petty knife, yeah a friend bought me a cheap sekizo santoku and I’ve already sharpened it so much in just 5 months where it’s now a gyuto/petty knife, he’s the one who pushed me down the rabbit hole! Now I have a sick Masashi Kobo SLD in the Mail today, thanks Danzo! Haha and I meant to say wasN’T too hard for ya. I’m interested to read through this thread though when I get some time. What are you main kitchen/work knives now?

What are you main kitchen/work knives now?

The ones I make, of course! :laugh:
I love to create knives with different profiles and grinds, then test their performance in a professional setting - I learn quickly this way. The non-stick ones and the lasers are my favorites, I will continue to mess around in those fields.

The ones I make, of course! :laugh:
I love to create knives with different profiles and grinds, then test their performance in a professional setting - I learn quickly this way. The non-stick ones and the lasers are my favorites, I will continue to mess around in those fields.

Haha I hear that! I’d love to be able to buy one of yours one day!

I’m really struggling with this Masashi I have, I’m trying my hardest to get my sharpening down to unleash food release, it definitely has a convex edge, but I can’t get it to release a potato. I’ve tried 70/30 and even alternated the 70 from left side to right side. I’ve done korins micro bevel technique, JKIs micro bevel technique, but I can Ever get it right! And of course I didn’t try it out whenever I got it, I sharpened it first so I fear I may have messed it up! Any suggestions? Videos? I’ve read through your asymmetry thread multiple times, and I’ve tried to do that but still can’t get it...

Haha I hear that! I’d love to be able to buy one of yours one day!

I’m really struggling with this Masashi I have, I’m trying my hardest to get my sharpening down to unleash food release, it definitely has a convex edge, but I can’t get it to release a potato. I’ve tried 70/30 and even alternated the 70 from left side to right side. I’ve done korins micro bevel technique, JKIs micro bevel technique, but I can Ever get it right! And of course I didn’t try it out whenever I got it, I sharpened it first so I fear I may have messed it up! Any suggestions? Videos? I’ve read through your asymmetry thread multiple times, and I’ve tried to do that but still can’t get it...

Food release has more to do with the grind of the knife than the edge you are putting on it. It may be a blade that just doesn't have great good release. You are probably laboring in vain. Also finishes play a part.

Food release has more to do with the grind of the knife than the edge you are putting on it. It may be a blade that just doesn't have great good release. You are probably laboring in vain. Also finishes play a part.

Yeah. Thanks

Back