One Bunka to rule them all?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seconding the Masashi Kokuen (although I believe it’s SLD). It’s not quite as light as Kotetsu but still the lightest and thinnest knife I currently own. Incredibly nimble and just a pleasure to use. When I first got it, I thought it might be too delicate but after a few uses I got comfortable and it’s become my go-to for any small-ish jobs — slicing one chicken breast, caprese salad, dicing an onion, etc. Super well made, looks badass and no durability issues in a home setting. IMO bunka is the right size for a light knife like Kokuen. Petty and gyuto I prefer slightly more robust.

32BA9B1E-FE78-42B1-8F99-AD2312386543.jpeg

It is SLD, good catch.

Yes, this was.one of my first great knives and I got it early on in my knife collecting. It set the bar high from the get go. I didn't realize just how great it was until I got more knives and few cut as well. This knife set the bar in my collection. It made me a Masashi fan too. I got the petty from this line as well. I got a gyuto from the Kaijin line in VS1. It's HUGE, like a monster santoku, very blade forward, and it cuts like a charm also.

I just ordered this knife, mostly based on the effusive recommendation you gave it. I've been looking at bunkas for awhile (never used one), and one day I'd be on the Hado Sumo and another day it would be something else. I finally decided it was time to just try something. This was relatively inexpensive... and the B2 was attractive as I have an AS and a B2 (gyutos) and they are noticeably better at edge retention that my shirogami. So I'm excited to give this a try. Bought it from Carbon.

I'll be curious to hear your impressions. I've had two, and foolishly sold the first here. That won't happen again. For the money, I don't think there's a finer knife. Not the most refined or talked about, but it performs like a knife that costs considerably more.

Just arrived ordered Friday to USA DHL Sunday delivery!
First impression, plain……
But cut some lamb for ‘Lamb w/ Cumin’, as sharp as anything I own!
Release seemed no different than any other knife I own with meat.
Certainly compared to a Takeda, a good value.
I like the SS outer although I have had no problem keeping my Takedas rust free.
Just a different look.
The real test will be on sharpening.
I use a Bridge Holder across my Manor House Sink with Nanawa stones.
How much effort to bring the blade back to it’s original level.
I-met Shosui many many years ago when his knives seemed like a good value. He also made a custom Honyaki for me at 300mm. Plain but a very good blade.
Today Takedas are unobtanium and not such a good value compared to this Shibata .
With the Internet opening up the market for Japanese knives, many more makers are available and it’s become difficult to evaluate knives.
I would like the knife larger but that model was not available.
I am happy!
-Richard
BTW a Takeda Deba and Nakiri are pictured with the Shibata,

Attachments

• IMG_6452.jpeg
    IMG_6452.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6451.jpeg
    IMG_6451.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My wife uses her Anyru Bunka more than ANY other knife.
Here's a pic of her daily drivers, nothing high-end, I'm including for context.

Attachments

• IMG_3756.JPG
    IMG_3756.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 0
Continuing on gaining experience with the Shibata Bunka.
Touched up the Takeda Nakiri on my Aniwa stones as best as I am capable of.
Slicing tomato horizontally, not a lot of difference but when cutting vegetables such as carrots, the difference between the two was clearly noticeable with the Shibata requiring less effort.
Prepared a Tagine and used the Shibata to cut four carrots at a time.
No problem. Handled the Acorn Squash but a lot of resistance cutting through the skin.
Anyway did not require a Wusthof,
-Richard

Attachments

• IMG_6462.jpeg
    IMG_6462.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6461.jpeg
    IMG_6461.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6467.jpeg
    IMG_6467.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6468.jpeg
    IMG_6468.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I'll be curious to hear your impressions. I've had two, and foolishly sold the first here. That won't happen again. For the money, I don't think there's a finer knife. Not the most refined or talked about, but it performs like a knife that costs considerably more.

I’ve been using it for about a month now, and it’s by far the most used knife in my kitchen since it arrived. The size and shape provide precise control, and it’s really sharp. I put a keener edge on it out of the box, and have touched up a couple of times on the SG2k, then a leather strop. It holds an edge well, and gets sharp-sharp easily. I’m adapting to the flat profile and like that I get complete cuts (no accordion). It’s the best I’ve ever used for garlic, shallots and small stuff, and glides through onions with such ease. Versatile, all round utility.

This is my first Blue #2, and I’m amazed at the combination of ease of sharpening, edge retention, and how sharp it gets, although I haven’t really tested edge retention much as I touch up pretty often. It will do several meals with no apparent loss. I’ve had two minor incidents that drew a little blood- not the knifes fault, but being sharp as hell was a factor both times. And I’m not someone who tends to cut himself. I have recently moved past a plateau on my sharpening technique I believe, and the knife feels better for that. Guess I should pay some attention to the other knives at some point.

I would agree that this guy performs above its weight class and cost, and is pure pleasure to use. Love the k-tip on a short, tall blade.

Last edited:
Back