Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any Chance to get in late for a potential buyer from germany? :)

Any Chance to get in late for a potential buyer from germany? :)

Considering the length of the list as it is you would have a knife quicker if you order one, and use my generous return policy if you don't like it haha :p

Considering the length of the list as it is you would have a knife quicker if you order one, and use my generous return policy if you don't like it haha :p

You have a return policy? I want to return all three knives I bought from you then!!!!

Just kidding! I want to buy three more LOL (only my wife doesn't...)

[emoji23][emoji51][emoji12][emoji33]

You have a return policy? I want to return all three knives I bought from you then!!!!

Just kidding! I want to buy three more LOL (only my wife doesn't...)

[emoji23][emoji51][emoji12][emoji33]

Haha don't tell anyone!

I believe I am on your list....so if this knife does not differ greatly from the pass around, I would probably drop. If there is a difference, would probably still check the pass around out.

I believe I am on your list....so if this knife does not differ greatly from the pass around, I would probably drop. If there is a difference, would probably still check the pass around out.

Yes, a 210-220 right? I think you'll have that one before the passaround reaches you.

I have now sent the knife on to Kippington so I wanted to post a few observations.
I had very similar views to Matus in that the knife is very light but did not feel that it had to be treated too delicately but i was tossing up whether to cut pumpkin with it or not considering it doesnt belong to me.
Matus hadnt sharpened it and it had some very small micro chips on first use but after a couple of light strops on felt with diamond spray these were removed.
I purposely didnt sharpen it on stones to guage the edge retention as for me this is important,(I enjoy sharpening but I am busy).Robins knife lasted a week of fairly heavy use at work and the HT seems spot on as i felt it was sitting around 80% of sharpness post stropping.
I will be interested in seeing if Kippington feels the need to give it a touch up or not.
I really like the use of natural materials in the handle and i have a soft spot for Birch.For me though the handle could do with a little more taper on the ferrule for long term use in pinch grip.
If i am being very picky the handle was a touch off centre but not that it made any difference to functionality.
The grind made precision work a delight,brunoise of onion was effortless and it made light work of julienning two red cabbages.
Like Matus I was also surprised it had as much stiction on cutting pumpkin as it did,not that it was bad by any means but I think when you see the grind the expectation is that there would be next to no stiction.Not sure why but perhaps someone with more understanding of these things can explain it.
As Matus also commented it has a little flex as i would expect for such a thin knife but I tend to lean towards slightly heavier knives and it doesnt detract from its performance.
The flat spot was a little longer than I would prefer but again this is purely personal and in no way a criticism.
Overall it is a lovely knife that performs well and stands up against any other makers I have tried.I would be very interested to try this grind on a suji.
Lastly I think it is such a generous act for Robin and all the other makers who have participated in pass arounds.In the turbulent world we currently live in to have such faith and trust in basically strangers to look after a knife you have put such time into certainly helps me keep my faith in humanity.
Thanks for the opportunity.
Slainthe

Thank you for the feedback and for participating. Very generous to spend on shipping for just a short time with a knife like this.

I handled and tweaked a knife I made long ago today, and can say my grind have evolved to slightly thicker in the hollowed sections as well as spine taper. Also I have changed up my grind a little already since sending this passaround. From the experience with the cleaver prototype, for a more controlled food release. So I want to believe I can do it, and am a bit bummed the passaround knife seems to be less than impressive in that regard.

Actually I believe I mentioned a 240mm but am open to anything in that range. I am definitely looking forward to trying your work!

If I take "mc" for your initials, your order may be wrong on my list. Can you send me a email to confirm your order and I can check please?

If I take "mc" for your initials, your order may be wrong on my list. Can you send me a email to confirm your order and I can check please?

I shot you a PM with name and email that you would recognize over my name on this site...sorry about that. I know who I am, just assume everyone else knew as well:O

I've had the knife for about a week now. It's a shame I can't use it for longer as I'm now getting into it!

This knife has the sickest distal taper I've ever seen. It makes this the longest gyuto I've used that's slightly handle-heavy when held with a pinch grip. Matus mentioned it feels light and I think this taper is a huge reason why (along with how thin it is). The weight distribution is such that it feels like I'm holding a shorter knife, and sometimes the tip can surprise me by unexpectedly being there.

The handle is by far the nicest one I've ever used. You can see in this picture that it's very similar in shape and size to my everyday user but it looks much nicer. The spine on the Dalman lines up with the top of the handle, whereas the choil of the Sukenari lines up with the bottom of its handle, which moved the step and made a big difference to me.

xnttQ1h.jpg

The stickage was interesting: When I first used the knife I wasn't impressed. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect, and the first thing I cut (apple slices) stuck to it. But the more I used it the clearer it became that it really does perform better then anything I've ever used in this regard, as long as I don't expect miracles! After a short while it became very predictable whether or not something would stick based on what I was cutting. I'd love to put this up against a Glestain!

[video=youtube;y-r7Te_jsrs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-r7Te_jsrs[/video]

I'd like to thank Mr. Dalman for giving me the opportunity to try this knife.

So before I ship this off to Canada, does anyone have any advice for me on what to declare or anything else? I don't often ship things so I'm pretty new to this.

I'll PM you sometime today, I also need to email Robin b/c I may have to pull out of the passaround, but am still happy to try and help out

:( pull out. We could go me, Ontario guy you if that helps.

Thanks Kippington! Awesome with a video as well! In the horizontal onion cut, is this your usual technique or was the knife giving you trouble getting through with the first cut? I usually do something like this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BFONDi1P8rL/

Nah it's not my usual technique, I don't know why I tried it in the video haha. I normally do it this way instead:

[video=youtube;64R845QkKIY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64R845QkKIY[/video]

The knife is on it's way to Canada now!

Cool I hadn't seen it done that way before. Looks like a good way to do it :)

Just arrived. First impressions are good. The blades very light and feels good in the hand. The double hollow grind is mezmorizing. The blade is agile and feels nice. I only used it on some beets and I was very happy. All smiles. The blades 170grm takamura 210 is 154 and hhh 240 is 205 for an idea of what I'm playing with. The tip is very thin which is nice. My only complaint is the handle is a little underwhelming. The main body has many flaws. I do however like that the handle isnt centered, really nice in my hands and the dowel insert is a very very nice touch. Right now I'm very happy. I work tmr so itll get a work out and sunday I'm giving it to my boss to play with. He isn't a knife nut, uses a shun, hopefully Dalman can make him a believer. :knife: oh and it makes a really really good swosh nice when swung. Always a good sign.

I will say that Robin's knives perform best with a particular "light touch." I would be weary of handing my Ferrari to a F-150 driver--seriously. Its not that Dalman knives are delicate, but they are thin behind the edge unlike few other knifes. I have a 175mm and find that if you move your hand back, choking up on the handle from from the pinch grip works very well for slicing and chopping. Because their so thin, they don't need a lot of force to move through food. Without guidance and supervision, i'd be concerned that buddy going to end up hurting himself and maybe someone else too. LOL

Thanks for the update Godslayer, and kind words Mucho bocho. Feel free to elaborate on the handle flaws? My focus have always been on the blade, but I have slowed down with the handles lately. Blades as well.. Generally trying to keep improving.

@jessf Tjangula passed his spot to a fellow canadian, I hope you're not bummed we put him next? Also we have a heads up on a possible postal strike, so it may be a good idea Godslayer holds the knife another week and ship out 25th.

I'm pretty sure they have to give minimum 3 days notice to strike, plus the mandate doesn't expire for another week. Might be better to go sooner rather than later? Might also just be me wanting to try the knife :D

Edit: Apparently CP says they expect a strike notice between now and the 25th. So I may be wrong about this then :(

I like thé way Dalman thinks. Thé blades in my very capable hands. Unfortunatly doesnt need sharpening. Its performing well. Maybe too well. I am going to do my favorite dish beet carpacio with 15year old balsamic tmr. Plus you know what i have in store for you ;) Dalmans making me an albino unicorn knife. Which is almost 100% a suprise even for me. Blades great. Basically perfect. Easily matches my takamura suminigashi for overall sharpness. Handles issues were(too long and thé main body of thé handle has a few voids/flaws which im mot à fan of.Ill do a few réview when its off to Ontario.

I'm pretty sure they have to give minimum 3 days notice to strike, plus the mandate doesn't expire for another week. Might be better to go sooner rather than later? Might also just be me wanting to try the knife :D

Edit: Apparently CP says they expect a strike notice between now and the 25th. So I may be wrong about this then :(

Some people just want to see thé world burn.

@jessf Tjangula passed his spot to a fellow canadian, I hope you're not bummed we put him next? Also we have a heads up on a possible postal strike, so it may be a good idea Godslayer holds the knife another week and ship out 25th.

No worries. Just wanted to make sure i didnt miss something.

If havox07 is agreeable we could always meet half way where 401 meets 403 and save on shipping. That's when he has the blade of course.

Glad a fellow Canuck was able to get in, hope you enjoy it ;)

As for the postal strike/lockout, based on the delivery standard dates it's unlikely to make it from AB to ON (especially since Godslayer's resort town is probably in a non-major FSA), unless sent as Priority/Xpresspost at a cost which is orders of magnitude more than expedited parcel. They could give 72 hrs notice anytime between now and the 25th, so may be best to wait

EDIT
Could perhaps consider a courier, but they're pretty damn expensive and most are super busy because of the uncertainty with Canada Post… supply and demand I suppose

Well looks like this strike is happening, might be forced to use fedex instead.

Back