Peeling Shallots - There has to be a better way?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperLougat

Reaction score
I recently had to peel about 6 kilos of shallots for work, and it took me about an hour. Got home, looked into better ways to do it in the future - the internet seems to suggest boiling water and letting them sit for a bit. My concern is that this will damage the cell integrity/structure of the shallots or **** them up somehow that'll result in **** being thrown my way.

Anyone got experience with this method? Is it as foolproof as all the youtube gurus claim, or is there a better way? I'll bite the bullet and keeping doing it normally if necessary but I'd 1000% prefer not to

I know shallot skin is a bit thicker. But at work we throw cloves of garlic into water in the walk in for a bit, no boiling required. Really helps the skin slide off.
I would be wary of boiling water as well.

When I make pickled onions, I trim the ends off each onion, make a shallow slit on one side, throw them all into a bowl, and pour boiling water over them. Let them sit for one minute, then drain and rinse with cold water. The skin and the outermost layer comes off the onions quite easily after that.

with garlic, 3 secs in a microwave releases the skins neatly. i'm serious though: 5 secs can be a disaster, while 2 secs is not enough (depending on your mw).

with garlic, 3 secs in a microwave releases the skins neatly. i'm serious though: 5 secs can be a disaster, while 2 secs is not enough (depending on your mw).
That's interesting, first time I've heard of this. I'll give this a try, thanks!

That's interesting, first time I've heard of this. I'll give this a try, thanks!
if the cloves are particularly dry and unforgiving i might do this. but beware, they will pop and burst just going three seconds too long :)

shhhh...sneak in 4 kilos of red onions? hahah...just kidding.

when I used shallots, I use maybe 3 max. :D

You can season avocados in the mic too, but let that sit for a minute, what that abomination is doing to your food and you in the end.

Attachments

• IMG_9667.jpeg
    IMG_9667.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 0
Buy them peeled in tubs 😆. Not sure id use boiling water but I peel pearl onions in hot water from the coffee machine. Dump the pearl onions in hot water, cut off roots, soak and peel. Wear double gloves. Haven't tried it with shallots but don't see why it wouldnt work 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Buy them peeled in tubs 😆. Not sure id use boiling water but I peel pearl onions in hot water from the coffee machine. Dump the pearl onions in hot water, cut off roots, soak and peel. Wear double gloves. Haven't tried it with shallots but don't see why it wouldnt work 🤷‍♂️

+1
I checked because I was curious, my produce providers don't even carry unpeeled shallots as a regularly stocked item. You can get them special order but they cost more than peeled and have a two week lead time.

Back