Pilonidal Cyst

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdm_magic

Reaction score
Has anyone else ever had a pilonidal cyst?

For anyone who doesn't know its basically an abscess right between the cheeks on your buttocks. Mine is ongoing for about 3 years now, had an operation and countless antibiotics for it (god bless the NHS), however it just refuses to go. It's nowhere near as bad now as it has been, but I'm totally sick of it.

I think I get it because I'm a hairy guy, and the kitchen is hot - so I'm wondering if any of you guys have had similar? Any remedies that you know of?

In the antipodes, we tend to call them a pilonidal sinus. I haven't had one but I have seen a lot treated surgically.

They are most easily described as abscesses that form around a bit of hair (from somewhere else) that gets stuck in the skin. The most common site it occurs is near the backside, but they can occur in other places. They are often initally treated with simple drainage of the abscess. They are often recurrent. In this case they are often treated by excision of all ot the surrounding tissue, often with a "flap" of tissue being moved to cover up the defect.

Have you been back to see the surgeon recently, or just your GP?

With the way it works here just my GP. They basically gave me anti biotics again, after I'd said to them 'These don't work', the doc told me I could have the tablets or another op. I can't take another op with work, so I've just been draining it myself twice daily for about the last 12 months

If it were me, I'd be seeing a surgeon and thinking that it's possible that I might need to schedule a bit of time off.

I would highly suspect these are avenues your doctors have already pursued but are you overweight and/or diabetic?

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I had one for years. Had it lanced and drained 4 years back by surgeon. 6 months ago an abcess came back possibly linked and I had it lanced again. And just yesterday had day surgery again. Waiting two weeks to followup with surgeon again. I have read that further surgeries are not always helpful. I was original told 3-4 months off, removing a large portion of flesh, and having a vacuum hooked up to me basically. That wasn't happening. I suggest seeing a surgeon in the er and having it drained and packed daily after until healed.

If it is draining it should be manageable with Epson salts, warm compress, etc. Also could try ACV soaked cotton ball. That stuff will suck a wart or mole our of you. Why not a cyst.

Back