Pitting? Solution?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iandustries

Reaction score
Hi KKF,

Long story short there was some rust spots on this tanaka kyuzo b1 that was cleaned off. A few deep dots remained despite a 500 grit sand paper and trying the course (blue) rust eraser.

Any advise on how to polish this off ? Is it worth going to a lower grit sandpaper and trying that ? Is this what is considered pitting ?

Attachments

• 5DA87BE5-CED4-4E88-88B4-8FCFAC6AE374.jpeg
    5DA87BE5-CED4-4E88-88B4-8FCFAC6AE374.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 78
That ain't gonna buff out :) It won't have a functional impact, though. Use the knife and enjoy it.
In theory, you could sand down past them and refinish, but that's a project squarely in PITA territory. Or, if it really bothers you, you could send it out to someone with a belt grinder to refinish.

Last edited:
Need some help. Is that pitting? I piled up 3 knives with those spots in this 1 picture…

44047538zv.png

You can certainly feel the spots when running your fingernail over them.

What’s the solution? Cleaning, polishing with Flitz?

If you like to get really rid of this pitting. Sand it down, will need a Beltgrinder btw.

SirCutALot

Thinning the whole blade surface probably the only way, but will remove a lot of metals. If you just clean the particular spot will cause low spots, it happened to one of my full carbon Tanaka slicer too, luckily only on the spine, I just leave it as it is.

I was thinking of:
1) fiberglass pencil
2) dremel for local treatment of the pitted spots (w soft and round high grit bit)

Would that work?
It will work, but you would not get rid of the problem... A pitting spot is deep, and it can be like a cave with a little hole on the top and a little bit more under. Next problem is the deeper this pitting goes the deeper is the rust.

You may use rust remover, followed by a coke bath and then you may try your dremel. If you want to go inside this problem i would suggest you places like SRP or BadgerandBladeForums.

SirCutALot

As an owner of many vintage carbon knives, almost all of which have extensive pitting, if the pitting isn't right near the edge, it is what it is. Gives knives character. It's like a homegrown nashiji finish. If you really want to be rid of them, the only recourse is to grind them out.

the only way to really get rid of them is sanding/grinding them away. there will be lots of grinding!!

alternative ways are different acids to convert the active rust to a more passive type. vinegar, oxalic acid, citric etc etc.
but if the pits are deep, then humidity will get in there and sooner or later it will start rusting again anyway.

maybe one could put some tung oil in there after the acid treatment. to seal it. i dont know.

Back