Plasters delivered with a knife....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pippin89

Reaction score
So a certain retailer of Japanese knives here in the UK send knifes out with a couple of blue plasters as a bit of a joke. So I was sat at my desk laughing about it with my colleagues as I have just taken delivery of a beautiful Masakage Yuki Honesuki.....
Only a few minute later there I am getting some pictures for you wonderful lot, and while struggling with the focus on a choil shot, heel of the knife straight through my finger. Suffice to say I was quite pleased I had a couple of plasters to hand as the blood rapidly poured from a very deep cut on my finger. At least we know its sharp.
Photo's are included below.... minus the choil shot!!

20190225_130243.jpg
20190225_130258.jpg
20190225_130303.jpg
20190225_130315.jpg

Well, it is indeed fortunate that the manufacturer was as thoughtful as that! :)

But, looking at the ago of that knife, I can't say I'm surprised that you stabbed yourself. I mean, really… That heel just has it in for its owner! You should have words with the blacksmith about his evil intentions… ;)

Last edited:
People from USA will not understand what you mean with the word "plaster". It has an entirely different meaning in USA.
"Band aid" in the US and Australia, "Elastoplast" in quite a few European countries.

Came here to ask "whats a plaster?" I was thinking Band-Aid from the context, thanks for helping me out.

I have a 165 Yuki Bunka that I enjoy immensely. I have not really had a problem with the heel except when drying the blade with a towel, it likes to grab. The white steel holds its edge much better than I expected it to. Makes me give white steel a second look when I see it listed in the knife materials. Great knife!

I have a few Masakage Yuki knives and have never had an issue with the heel getting me. Regardless, I have been bitten by many a knife and you have to love that soft burn once you finally realize it has sunk its teeth into you. You have the bite, you finally own the knife. :)

As for plaster, that reminds me of having to re-learn English while living in Europe. Fun times for sure. :)

People from USA will not understand what you mean with the word "plaster". It has an entirely different meaning in USA.

Many of us native speakers in the USA speak British English as a second language. "Time to go, take the lift down, put your jumper in the boot and let's drive. Watch for the lorries!"

I spent some time in the Med during my time in the Navy. I could talk to Italians, I could talk to Spaniards, but the Brits? We called it "separated by a common language".

What's the confusion? Did you look at the pics of that knife? Heck, I'm sure I would cut myself too if I handled it while plastered!

I thought it would be a discussion about high end japanese plaster knives. Oh, well.

Heh just here to add it is actually called plaster in danish as well. Same Spelling and All...

Human blood, warm, fresh human blood gives a great patina.
I think that we should clarify that nobody on the forum is suggesting that you use anybody else's blood to form a patina.... [emoji6]

And deliberately using your own is a little bit gross on a kitchen knife...[emoji13]

Of course, accidents do happen... [emoji856]

Last edited:
I think that we should clarify that nobody on the forum is suggesting that you use anybody else's blood to form a patina.... [emoji6]

And deliberately using your own is a little bit gross on a kitchen knife...[emoji13]

Of course, accidents do happen... [emoji856]
Far be it from me to suggest draining someone's blood for the sole purpose of the patina formation.

At least the knife didn't ship with a torniquet and a suture setup...
I’d bet the average person doesn’t have those items, let alone know how to use them, so if anything it may even add to the value...

Would using your own blood to make the patina considered vegan? If so, then way better than using tofu

Hahaha well this thread has turned.... Next time I cut myself I will be sure to spread it over the nearest carbon knife, but the Yuki is stainless clad so wouldn't help much. As for the wound, it looks bloody pansy this morning (sorry another English phrase...) Cant believe so much blood came out of it. But I guess that is the sign of a sharp knife, it cut deep but didn't do too much damage in the process.

As for the knife, having more time to inspect it yesterday evening, the edge is pretty good OOTB to be honest, although slightly more refined at the tip than the heel. Nothing that some stropping stokes on an 8k wont fix. And to be honest for a Honesuki you want the sharpness at the tip anyway, but just for my own pleasure I will give it an edge polish. And then tonight I shall be carving up a chicken so a review will follow. I will try not to patina it with my own bodily fluids!

just for my own pleasure I will give it an edge polish. I will try not to patina it with my own bodily fluids!

Please... the blood was bad enough. Nothing else should be going on that knife other than food. You’ve only had it a day, control yourself man!

They put a couple of plasters in all their knife boxes, very good company and customer service.

Back